M's sign Lawton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

M's sign Lawton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:48 am

IMO the only reason lazy Lawton played "well" last year was because he was playing for a contract. I guess he is still playing for a contract so maybe he has a good year. I think I will let you draft him. His defense is terrible and in spacious Safeco oh my!
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:08 am

Music2004Man wrote:This seems like a very solid pickup for the money. If the M's move Reed then Ichiro, Lawton, Sexson and Beltre are a solid top four if Beltre can hit 30-35 homers (which is not a guarantee at all). The problem is that the lineup drops off drastically after those four.

You forgot Ibanez who created 95 runs, had basically the same numbers as Damon. And Jojima will be no easy out.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pedantic » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:10 am

The Cow wrote:IMO the only reason lazy Lawton played "well" last year was because he was playing for a contract. I guess he is still playing for a contract so maybe he has a good year. I think I will let you draft him. His defense is terrible and in spacious Safeco oh my!

If he was playing for a contract, why did he tank at the end of the year, when he was most visible? :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:29 am

Pedantic wrote:
The Cow wrote:IMO the only reason lazy Lawton played "well" last year was because he was playing for a contract. I guess he is still playing for a contract so maybe he has a good year. I think I will let you draft him. His defense is terrible and in spacious Safeco oh my!

If he was playing for a contract, why did he tank at the end of the year, when he was most visible? :-b

Because he just doesn't have the talent. The real reason why he performed well may have been the roids. Also the pressure of playing in NY gets to a lot of players.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:55 am

M's are starting to look real solid in my book. That and the fact the Rangers haven't really improved this offseason, and the Angels lost two arms, and I could see the M's finishing within reach of the division title.

Washburn will save the Mariners a few handfuls of runs and Everett, Jojima, and Lawton will certainly help create a few more handfuls of runs.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RynMan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:00 am

At first I laughed at this signing, but it is only 400K so the risk may be worth it in the end - even though if he performs he may make just over 1 million.

The main problem I have with the signing is that it is blocking a few of their younger players. The Mariners are not competing this year, so why block young talent with veterans that aren't centerpiece players?

Chris Snelling can be a more than adequate 4th outfielder at the major league minimum wage, who can also be in your plans for the future. Matt Lawton isn't. Cast aside that Snelling is the better defender of the two.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:06 am

RynMan wrote:At first I laughed at this signing, but it is only 400K so the risk may be worth it in the end - even though if he performs he may make just over 1 million.

The main problem I have with the signing is that it is blocking a few of their younger players. The Mariners are not competing this year, so why block young talent with veterans that aren't centerpiece players?

Chris Snelling can be a more than adequate 4th outfielder at the major league minimum wage, who can also be in your plans for the future. Matt Lawton isn't. Cast aside that Snelling is the better defender of the two.

How do you know they won't be competing? It's a weak division, and no team in it has improved as much as Seattle. This team could win 81-85 games, which could put them within 5 games of 1st.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:53 am

HOOTIE wrote:How do you know they won't be competing? It's a weak division, and no team in it has improved as much as Seattle. This team could win 81-85 games, which could put them within 5 games of 1st.

Yes, you are right.....nobody in the division has improved as much as Seattle, but it's not real hard to improve a team that lost 93 games last season.

What is Seattle's rotation?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:07 am

RynMan wrote:Yes, you are right.....nobody in the division has improved as much as Seattle, but it's not real hard to improve a team that lost 93 games last season.

Moyer
Washburn
Felix
Piniero
Franklin or Meche
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:42 am

HOOTIE wrote:
RynMan wrote:Yes, you are right.....nobody in the division has improved as much as Seattle, but it's not real hard to improve a team that lost 93 games last season.

Moyer
Washburn
Felix
Piniero
Franklin or Meche

no love for Jesse? :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero