Prior to the AL West? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior to the AL West?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:39 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Did i see Tejada named a top 5 player? Did the top 15 or so retire?

lol ...
Hootie made a funny :-b
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:06 am

If this deal goes down, I think it will be more of economics with the Cubs not being able to resign Prior then the Cubs not thinking Prior will amount to anything good at all.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:19 am

With Boras as his agent I don't see Prior signing a long-term deal with the Cubs. He's waiting to be a FA and cashing in. The Cubs meanwhile have D. Lee becoming FA after the 06 season and I'm pretty sure C-Zam hits FA the same year as Prior.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby bellings » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:31 am

I haven't seen the link posted yet, here it is:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5189112

There is more discussion about why the deal is stalling (prospects) and a possible BoSox 3-way trade.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:41 am

this would be a huge trade if it were to happen.
But if the Cubs were to trade him because they don't think they'll be able to afford him, and C-Zam and D-Lee, it doesn't make sense Oakland would take him on if they're already afraid of what Zito will cost next season.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Dmville » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:49 am

wrveres wrote:
the Cubs 2006 Payroll is expected to be close to 100.00 million, and that is a lot of bling for a Newspaper company to be handing out. Especially in the midst of an internet news free for all has casued subscriptions to drop all across the world. very few people get there news from the newspaper anymore.

FWIW, they own about 25 newspapers, 25 TV stations, including WGN, and they sell 3 million Cubs tickets a year. And they have actually embraced the internet pretty well.

I agree they are spending alot, but they have it and have proven they are willing to spend to win in the last few years, now they just need to win :~( . Especially now that the Southsiders have won, I see them really making a push. They saw that parade and all the hoopla for a team that no one in Chicago supposedly cares about and they are licking their chops.

And I honestly believe Baker needs this team to be very near the top of the division early in the season to keep his job all year. Another .500 at the break will not do, injuries or not.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:42 pm

Latest rumor via Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 this morning...

Cubs have offered Prior, Patterson and Rich Hill in exchange for Tejada and Erik Bedard.

No link because it was a radio report and I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but Levine is usually on the inside with both Chicago ballclubs.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:45 pm

RynMan wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:Which team do you guys think they are talking about in the AL West? Could it be the Angels with a heap of prospects going the other way?

A's websites are saying that they have heard radio reports stating that it is the A's, in which Zito and possibly spare parts goto Baltimore. Prior to Oakland, Tejada to Chicago.

I can't understand Prior going to the A's because it would improve them slightly over having Zito but they still have to trade Prior by the end of the year. I could see Beane making the move though so he had a better trading chip at the trade deadline. Prior's price could be through the roof at the deadline. Can you imagine a contender adding a guy with Prior's talent.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:19 pm

To put simply I'm not a big fan of this trade. I have read that if Tejada is traded then he will become a FA after 06. Not sure if that's true or not. Like Hootie said Tejada is not the top 5 player that he is often made out to be. I'm not sold on Prior wanting out after this year like some of the WC guys want us to think. It's definetely a possibility but I have a hard time seeing Hendry let Prior walk after this year, 07 he is probably gone though.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:20 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:Latest rumor via Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 this morning...

Cubs have offered Prior, Patterson and Rich Hill in exchange for Tejada and Erik Bedard.

No link because it was a radio report and I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but Levine is usually on the inside with both Chicago ballclubs.

As a cub fan this trade is appealing to me. They are not give up Pie or Guzman. Hill might be good pitcher but I don't like 6'5" curve ball pitchers, give me the old number 1 out of those guys. Priors wins have gone down and there is always rumors of guys who are built like him whose numbers have gone down the last two years. Bedard is serviceable.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers