Prior to the AL West? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior to the AL West?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:51 am

Which team do you guys think they are talking about in the AL West? Could it be the Angels with a heap of prospects going the other way?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:01 am

I hope it's the Mariners.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby RynMan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:09 am

Music2004Man wrote:Which team do you guys think they are talking about in the AL West? Could it be the Angels with a heap of prospects going the other way?

A's websites are saying that they have heard radio reports stating that it is the A's, in which Zito and possibly spare parts goto Baltimore. Prior to Oakland, Tejada to Chicago.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jsharrin55 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:14 am

Yin_Xu88 wrote:so is it saying that Prior might go to the O's for Tejeda, and then the O's would trade him to some team in the AL West?

if thats the case, I would trade him to the Rangers for Maryland native Mark Teixeira ;-)

not gonna happen
jsharrin55
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:17 am

Yin_Xu88 wrote:so is it saying that Prior might go to the O's for Tejeda, and then the O's would trade him to some team in the AL West?

if thats the case, I would trade him to the Rangers for Maryland native Mark Teixeira ;-)

I think that would be disastrous for Teixeira owners...
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Trot Nixon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:35 am

Balt-Manny

Chicago- Tejada

Sox- Prior

Prospects are thrown in here and there but thats the current rumor...again....rumor

ps. not gonna happen
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:52 am

What are the top situations?

1. Oakland
2. Angels
3. Seattle
4. Texas

???
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pokey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:57 am

Trot Nixon wrote:Balt-Manny

Chicago- Tejada

Sox- Prior

Prospects are thrown in here and there but thats the current rumor...again....rumor

ps. not gonna happen

considering their hole at shortstop, and the fact that Tejada might be one of the top 5 players in the game, I see no reason why the Red Sox would want Prior instead of Tejada. Not like it's gonna happen either way.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:18 am

He will be a FA in 07 ...
But the Cubs have a huge problem.

Since Prior is expected to opt out this year, he will be getting a fat raise thru arbitration, and an even bigger one next season.

So the Cubs, who I believe have never taken a player to arbitration, need to sign Prior to either a long term deal now, or play the one year contract/arbitration thing with him for two years and then watch him walk.

the Cubs 2006 Payroll is expected to be close to 100.00 million, and that is a lot of bling for a Newspaper company to be handing out. Especially in the midst of an internet news free for all has casued subscriptions to drop all across the world. very few people get there news from the newspaper anymore.

I am guessing the Cubs will sign Prior for this year, somewhere around 4.5 to 5 million, just to avoid arbitration, and then try like hell during the season to get him signed long term.

This is where the Cubs have a problem.
The current market for Starting Pitchers in insane. (Thank you Kris Benson! Pitching salaries were dropping you idiots!)

To lock up Prior long term it is going to cost them somewhere between 12-15 million per season, for at least four seasons, maybe more. That is allot of coin for a newspaper company to spend
on a Starting Pitcher (see Greg Maddux), especially one with a perceived injury risk.

BTW, you can ditto this whole scenario for one Carlos Zambrano.
Is the Tribune Company really going to spend 25-30 million per year on two starting pitchers...

and where does Kerry wood and his 10 million fit in here ?

The Cubs have a problem ...
and i'd guess that two of the three will be gone by opening day 2007.

5 years/$10.5M (2002-06), plus incentives

$4M signing bonus
02:$0.25M,
03:$0.65M,
04:$1.6M,
05:$2M base (incentives to $2.75M),
06:$2M

2003 All Star selection increased 2004-06 salaries by $0.5M/season
additional $0.1M All Star incentive
Prior may void final 2 years (05-06) if he qualifies for arbitration after 2004 season
drafted 2001 (1-2), signed major-league contract 8/01
agent: John Boggs
ML service: 3.131
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:24 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Im not quite sure I like this as a Cubs fan...its takes great starting pitching to win a World Series. Great bats are hard to come by, but quality pitching wins championships.

Not really. The Atlanta Braves had maybe the best rotation ever, and won once. In 03, Florida ranked 9th in era, almost a full run behind leader. On 04, Boston ranked 11th in era, almost .5 runs behind leader. Hitting, and balance are just as important.

Did i see Tejada named a top 5 player? Did the top 15 or so retire?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers