shortsavage's top 25 first basemen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

shortsavage's top 25 first basemen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How helpful are these rankings to you?

Very Helpful
29%
Somewhat Helpful
43%
Not helpful
29%

Total votes : 14

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:19 pm

shortsavage wrote:I definately had Giambi too high to start out with. I bumped him down to 13th, below Konerko.

Helton hit .381 from July 1st on last season. He actually slugged really well during the same time period (.661, second best of all 1B to Jacobs) and led all 1B in doubles with 25. Coors will help him rebound next season.

Thome missed most of the season last year. He is one of the oldest 1B around, too, so I wouldn't consider him a lock for even 400 at bats in 2006. And even when Thome was playing last season, he was far from a top 1B.

I think Bagwell will be able to hold his own as a decent backup 1B in 12-team mixed leagues. Sure, his health isn't a given, but 24th isn't that high.

Know how people always joke about how all of Adam Dunn's RBIs come from HRs? Well, Dunn had 40 HRs and 101 RBIs in 2005 to Konerko's 40 HRs and 100 RBIs. Konerko didn't top 100 runs either (even Jeff Kent managed to drive in 100 runs and score 100 runs, in LA mind you). Konerko is just on the fringe of the elite in my mind. I don't think he will ever be the type of guy who can carry your team.

What's not to like about Brad Wilkerson moving from Washington to Texas. He has been quietly productive over the last three years. He'll be inconsistent next season, but go on enough mild tears (don't forget hit for the cycle, too) to definately be a top 15 first basemen. Notice that I have him and Konerko both at $27, too. They are close in my mind.

Thanks for all of the input so far ;-D. For a rough draft, I don't think these rankings turned out half bad.

You criticize Konerko's and Dunn's runs counts but think Helton in that Rox lineup is going to do anything better?...and Helton's power NEVER returned last year. More doubles is one of the things that happen when roid-boys stop taking roids and no longer have the juice to get it over the wall. There is no way I would take Helton over Konerko or Dunn or D. Lee. Not anymore. The only thing that keeps Helton in the fantasy-elite game is the fact that he will likely post a decent avg. The Hrs are down...so are the rbis and the runs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:39 am

Haftner doesn't qualify at first base this year. At least not in our league. 20 game min. He may have played one game. I beleive he was DH for about 140 or so games
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 271)

Postby DevilDriver » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:17 am

You forgot Mike Jacobs
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby shortsavage » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:46 pm

DevilDriver wrote:You forgot Mike Jacobs

My list is actually a top 75 (members only...j/k ;-)) . I just posted the top 25. Since 1B is going to be so deep, there are going to be lots of guys in Jacobs' bracket of potential viable 1B options (Sean Casey, Adrian Gonzalez, Connor Jackson, Dmitri Young, ect.). Actually, Jacobs isn't even in my top 40 first basemen - there will be some DH/1B guys ahead of him in my mind, too.

I put Hafner on this list because I don't plan to make a DH list. He and Ortiz will not be 1B eligible in a lot of leagues (I don't expect Hafner to gain 1B eligibility during the season either).
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby prhood » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:02 pm

My only comment is that the values probably don't relect what will be paid in some smaller leagues of say 10-12 teams particularly when you get past the top 2 or 3 players. I can see Pujols going for $43 but would expect values to start declining rather rapidly. Teams will have budget limits and there are a significant number of other good players hitters and pitchers who will be commanding top dollar.
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby WittyC » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:23 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:I definately had Giambi too high to start out with. I bumped him down to 13th, below Konerko.

Helton hit .381 from July 1st on last season. He actually slugged really well during the same time period (.661, second best of all 1B to Jacobs) and led all 1B in doubles with 25. Coors will help him rebound next season.

Thome missed most of the season last year. He is one of the oldest 1B around, too, so I wouldn't consider him a lock for even 400 at bats in 2006. And even when Thome was playing last season, he was far from a top 1B.

I think Bagwell will be able to hold his own as a decent backup 1B in 12-team mixed leagues. Sure, his health isn't a given, but 24th isn't that high.

Know how people always joke about how all of Adam Dunn's RBIs come from HRs? Well, Dunn had 40 HRs and 101 RBIs in 2005 to Konerko's 40 HRs and 100 RBIs. Konerko didn't top 100 runs either (even Jeff Kent managed to drive in 100 runs and score 100 runs, in LA mind you). Konerko is just on the fringe of the elite in my mind. I don't think he will ever be the type of guy who can carry your team.

What's not to like about Brad Wilkerson moving from Washington to Texas. He has been quietly productive over the last three years. He'll be inconsistent next season, but go on enough mild tears (don't forget hit for the cycle, too) to definately be a top 15 first basemen. Notice that I have him and Konerko both at $27, too. They are close in my mind.

Thanks for all of the input so far ;-D. For a rough draft, I don't think these rankings turned out half bad.

You criticize Konerko's and Dunn's runs counts but think Helton in that Rox lineup is going to do anything better?...and Helton's power NEVER returned last year. More doubles is one of the things that happen when roid-boys stop taking roids and no longer have the juice to get it over the wall. There is no way I would take Helton over Konerko or Dunn or D. Lee. Not anymore. The only thing that keeps Helton in the fantasy-elite game is the fact that he will likely post a decent avg. The Hrs are down...so are the rbis and the runs.

In fact, the numbers would show that Helton was pretty close in HR production in the second half as well.

Career AB/HR before '05: 16.1
AB/HR July-October '05: 17.1

Assuming about 560 AB's, that's a drop of about two jacks over a full season.

It seems pretty clear that the first half of '05 was an abberation. There is no evidence of steroid use, whatsoever. His R/HR totals will be less than that of some of the other "elite" 1B's, but he compensates with a ridiculous average. I think Helton is ranked properly at #5. ;-D

However, I would have placed Lee third, Ortiz fourth and Berkman sixth or seventh.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers