Twins sign Rondell White for DH - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Twins sign Rondell White for DH

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: f

Postby bellings » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:58 am

joeg24 wrote:Kubel isn't close to being ready to put up all star numbers. He's basically a rookie and blew his entire knee out about a year ago. I'd be surprised if he puts up any sort of decent #'s this year, and I do believe he'll be an all-star someday or at least a solid starter.

I know that Kubel isn't going to come out of the gate with awesome numbers, but what better position than DH to let him get some MLB at-bats while letting his knee heal? I just don't think that he is any more of a risk than White.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:43 pm

Nice to see RonDL White staying within the AL Central. He was a pretty good hitter last year when healthy. However, with his bad knees and the fact that he underwent rotator cuff surgery at the end of last year, he definitely won't be seeing the field much this year (probably not at all especially on that turf) and there's no telling if that shoulder will affect his power at all.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MrT » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:46 pm

Amazing that anytime was wasted talking about the attributes of Rondell White. He may have some value if you were in a Minnesota league only. I'd quit fantasy baseball before I would consider having him on my team.
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 49)

Postby bellings » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:23 pm

I have to wonder if he would be worth a 25th round pick. It sounds like he can the ability to put up really good numbers when healthy. I mean, if Ryan and Pohlad are willing to take a risk on him, who am I to judge.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:16 pm

"I just don't think that he is any more of a risk than White."

Huh? Kubel is a guy with virtually no MLB experience, totally unproven, while White is a guy who has proven for for over a decade that he can be an effective, albeit not great, MLB hitter. Even with the well-known injury history, White is far less of a risk to the Twins than sticking Kubel at DH, espceially for a team that fancies itself a playoff contender.

Nonetheless, the Twins offense is going to be absolutely horrible--quite possibly worse than Kansas City's.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigJonEmpire » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:30 am

I think most people are severly underestimating the Twins lineup.

Shannon Stewart had an off year in 2005 but if healthy should rebound to around his career obp of .364

Luis Castillo will probably hit second but might be a better leadoff option than Stewart at this point. He has a career obp of .370 and was at .391 in 2005.

Joe Mauer is still improving. He hit .292/.372/.411 last year without any sort of protection behind him. I'm betting his power takes a step up this year in a stronger lineup to something like .300/.400/.450

Morneau should be another young player who takes a step up. I don't think anyone expects he can't improve on his .239/.304/.437 in 2005. I expect closer to .260/.340/.500

Rondell White should be able to stay healthy in the DH spot. He can weld a serious bat when healthy. .290/.350/.480 is not out of range. I bet he hits 30 homeruns if he gets 550 at-bats.

Torri Hunter should be healthy and should be around his numbers of the last few years. Something like .270/.335/.460

Jason Kubel should return from injuries (hopefully) and provide another young but powerful bat. If healthy .290/.380/.500 is very possible.

I'm not sure what Tony Batista did in Japan but he always flashed power without the ability to make contact previously in his mlb career. A decent year for him would be around .260/.315/.470 he's done better at times and worse at times.

Jason Bartlett could be at the top of the lineup in 2007. He makes great contact and can get on base. .280/.360/.430 would just start to show his potential.

The Twins should be every bit as good as the White Sox and Indians.
Jon Williams

http://bronxpride.com/
http://tko-boxing.com/
http://fantasybaseballupdate.com/
BigJonEmpire
T-Ball Trainer

Postby stumpak » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:51 am

Big Jon, you are looking at the best case scenario in every one of those cases. In each instance, the player is either a well-known injury risk (Stewart, Castillo, White) or unproven (Kubel, Morneau, Bartlett). As for Batista, he would have a tough time hitting .260 in AAA (althoughthe power is obviously there).

The Twin's offense is one of the most punchless in baseball, and uniquely among MLB teams, the Twins do not have one guy who is a near-certaintly to turn on a decent offensive season, due to injury risk or youth. The only offense in the AL that comes close to being this bad is KC.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:04 pm

The Twins offense was horrible last year, but it can't be any worse this year. They'll (hopefully) have Hunter for more than 100 games, Castillo will provide some OBP and will also be the true 2-spot hitter the Twins need, Mauer and Morneau are only getting better (Mourneau should to get a lot better this year), and if the bottom of the line-up gets any decent stats, the Twins should be in pretty good shape. The pitching this year looks better than last year as well. But as always injuries are always a killer and hopefully the Twins can avoid them.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bellings » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:10 pm

I agree that the Twins should be a serious contender this year. When the other team usually only scores ~3 runs, every game is competitive. I wish the offense was better, but with this pitching staff, they only need to be just good enough.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:20 am

I think this is a good signing fo the Twins to offset the loss of Jones.

vs. L R OBP/BA
Jones 247/201 348/268
White 363/325 343/309

White put up decent numbers at Comerica so I think he would be a pretty good pickup in AL leagues this year.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers