Twins sign Rondell White for DH - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Twins sign Rondell White for DH

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Twins sign Rondell White for DH

Postby bellings » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:29 pm

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5797323.html

"White hit .313 with 12 homers and 53 RBIs in 97 games for the Tigers last season, but the outfielder missed most of the year with shoulder ailments. White was on the DL eight times from 1996-2001 and didn't play much during the final two months in 2004 because of a hip injury."

I have a feeling that this will be very good, or very bad.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:26 pm

I think it's decent. If he can stay healthy it's a pretty good move, but with White that's like asking for the sun not to rise ...it may not rise for awhile, but eventually it has to.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:11 pm

Takes the Twins out of the race for Thomas....I wonder where he ends up now.....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby speedy27 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:15 pm

RynMan wrote:Takes the Twins out of the race for Thomas....I wonder where he ends up now.....

i thought he was rumored to be heading to the A's?
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Half Massed » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:06 pm

speedy27 wrote:
RynMan wrote:Takes the Twins out of the race for Thomas....I wonder where he ends up now.....

i thought he was rumored to be heading to the A's?

That's the hope, but a trade would have to be worked out involving one of the OFs or Swisher/Johnson (most likely Payton, unless we get something really nice in return) to make room for him. I don't see any of Payton, Swisher or Johnson being a bench player.

Not a bad deal for the Twins. Good news for the A's.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bellings » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:07 pm

The more that I think about this, I don't like it at all. They should filled up the DH at-bats with Mauer and Kubel. Both of them are capable of All-Star numbers and could use the rest on their knees by not playing the field every game. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if this is what ends up happening.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

f

Postby joeg24 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:57 pm

Kubel isn't close to being ready to put up all star numbers. He's basically a rookie and blew his entire knee out about a year ago. I'd be surprised if he puts up any sort of decent #'s this year, and I do believe he'll be an all-star someday or at least a solid starter.

This is a solid move, he's 5-6 years younger then Piazza/Thomas and in a full time DH role (maybe some switches with Stew to save his hammy's) can put up 450-500 AB's I think, which should be good for 280/20, which my friends are pretty sweet numbers on the Twins. It will provide a nice alternative to Hunter for filler between the M&M boys too.

Also, if he can stay healthy, can help replace Jones' power and unlike Jones won't be an easy out if a lefty comes in as White is effective from both sides.

It's a decent move that's VERY low risk and it's a move that "poor" good teams make. We can't trade for the Delgado's and don't overpay for the Giles. It's not ideal, but probably is the best they can do with what they have available.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:03 pm

Remember our last low risk move? Boone

Anyways, I don't think it's going to be as bad as the last time. I think it's a good replacement in the bat of Jones. I think that 280/20 puts him in the top 4 in batting. Good move, just want to see a few more improvements around here before I start spouting out playoff hopes.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Brew Crew » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Dec. 19 -- The White Sox formally severed ties with Thomas after 16 seasons, declining to offer the veteran slugger arbitration. The move was widely expected after the World Series champions traded for Jim Thome at Thanksgiving. Thomas was at the Winter Meetings at the Wyndham Anatole in Dallas, meeting with teams such as Oakland and Minnesota. Oakland's trade for Milton Bradley may have them looking elsewhere, leaving the Twins as an attractive possiblity.

Looks like Thomas may have to look to some different teams now??
Brew Crew
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Brew Crew wrote:Dec. 19 -- The White Sox formally severed ties with Thomas after 16 seasons, declining to offer the veteran slugger arbitration. The move was widely expected after the World Series champions traded for Jim Thome at Thanksgiving. Thomas was at the Winter Meetings at the Wyndham Anatole in Dallas, meeting with teams such as Oakland and Minnesota. Oakland's trade for Milton Bradley may have them looking elsewhere, leaving the Twins as an attractive possiblity.

Looks like Thomas may have to look to some different teams now??

As HM said, he probably only gets signed by Oakland if they trade Payton or Kotsay. I also heard rumours that Anaheim were interested....other than that there isn't an AL team that could use him.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers