Are weekly transactions obsolete? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are weekly transactions obsolete?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are weekly transactions obsolete?

Postby baseballboy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:35 pm

This is a yearly re-draft auction ROTO league

I've been in this same weekly transaction league since 1995. Last year our commissioner changed to a daily transaction league. I was reluctent to participate, thinking that roster churning (especially in pitching) would happen and as I suspected it did. Transaction were $5 and the guys who made the most moves came in 1st, 2nd, & 4th. This year the commissioner is going to put a limit on innings (somewhere around 1300-1400 inningings for 9 pitchers) and raise the transaction fee from $5 to $10 in an effort to slow down this pitcher churning frenzy. I was very happy with the way things were when it was a weekly league and I'm struggling to stay in the league this year. I have two issues to address:

1) do you feel this inning limit/raising transactions fee method will fix the churning problem and

2) are weekly transactions leagues in ROTO a thing of the past?
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:43 pm

No as weekly transaction leagues are the mainstay of places like CBS Commissioner/CBS Roto leagues and many people like myself just abhore the daily nonsense. You can run a good daily league. It requires limits to keep churning in check. I think your commish is doing due diligence in trying to keep the league reasoanable. If you want transactions galore, 100's of players per roster a year, play H2h.

Roto is supposed to emmulate real baseball as much as possisble. Real baseball teams do not sign players for a day and them cut them. Real teams do not run 150 players through their roster a season. That is statistical nonsense favored by those who either have a psychological need to make a move every day or they feel unsettled or by people who figure they will simply beat everyone by being on all day long and churn through the wire.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:17 pm

If you have a max IP limit now you will be fine.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Your commish set you up by not establishing an innings cap last year.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby WittyC » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:10 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:No as weekly transaction leagues are the mainstay of places like CBS Commissioner/CBS Roto leagues and many people like myself just abhore the daily nonsense. You can run a good daily league. It requires limits to keep churning in check. I think your commish is doing due diligence in trying to keep the league reasoanable. If you want transactions galore, 100's of players per roster a year, play H2h.

Roto is supposed to emmulate real baseball as much as possisble. Real baseball teams do not sign players for a day and them cut them. Real teams do not run 150 players through their roster a season. That is statistical nonsense favored by those who either have a psychological need to make a move every day or they feel unsettled or by people who figure they will simply beat everyone by being on all day long and churn through the wire.

Not to get into a whole roto vs. h2h debate, but whether it be a daily updater or weekly, I don't see how there is a difference in the number of transactions b/w h2h and roto.

That aside, I've always been a strong proponent of weekly update leagues. I've been in decent daily updaters, and w/ inning limits done right, this can work pretty well.

I've found that daily updaters seem to fit roto leagues, whereas weekly updates fit h2h leagues better. So in response to your question of are weekly update rotos dead -- no, but I don't feel that it's a great fit, either.

I don't think that raising the transaction fee will make that much of a difference. Of course, it depends on the relative fees for entry to some degree, but all it takes is for one guy to get overzealous on the transactions, and everyone else will follow suit. You basically have to play it like a game of poker... are the marginal gains from adding that player going to help you %-wise relative to the 10 bucks versus the current "pot."

Just my two cents.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseballboy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:17 pm

WittyC wrote:I don't think that raising the transaction fee will make that much of a difference. Of course, it depends on the relative fees for entry to some degree, but all it takes is for one guy to get overzealous on the transactions, and everyone else will follow suit. You basically have to play it like a game of poker... are the marginal gains from adding that player going to help you %-wise relative to the 10 bucks versus the current "pot."

Just my two cents.

I feel this way too. Our commissioner put in the most money (over $1600!!! and came in 2nd winning $3200) If he raises it to $10, is he going to be happy putting in $3000 with less chance of winnig because of the inning limit?
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Arlo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:03 pm

I don't see weekly transaction leagues going the way of the dinosaur anytime soon. I don't think they'll return to being the most common format in the near future, but they're not dead yet...

And yes, an IP cap is a very good thing.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kev921 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:12 pm

J35J wrote:If you have a max IP limit now you will be fine.

Jason

Unfortunately, IP limit will not solve everything.

I know that in Yahoo, you can place a limit to the total number of roster changes (for the season) that you can make (allowing you to choose between daily or weekly).

I too, get frustrated by the teams too frequently make changes.
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

weekly leagues

Postby squirtle » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:35 pm

I hate daily leagues...one year we had a daily changes league and it sucked...one friend was in Afghanistan and his year was complete shit...the next year he was still in the middle east and we had a weekly league and he was much more competitive...plus it makes our members feel better about being on vacation during the summer, not trying to locate a wireless network while on a beach in the Carribean...

seriously, as long as I am alive weekly leagues will not die...
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:21 am

our league has been around since mid 80s (i have been in it since 94) and we still do weekly trannies...only 1 or 2 owners out of 13 have ever mentioned daily moves in passing (we have no transaction fees)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers