Why does Bonderman get no love??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does Bonderman get no love???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:46 pm

My early projections for him are:

14W 11L 200IP 165K 4.25ERA 1.29WHIP

These numbers put him right around #35-40 on my rankings.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellings » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:10 pm

J35J wrote:My early projections for him are:

Jason

These look pretty accurate to me. They certaintly don't merit the love that he gets in the Cafe. Someone else will certainly grab him before the 35-40 range.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:20 am

bellings wrote:

Jason

These look pretty accurate to me. They certaintly don't merit the love that he gets in the Cafe. Someone else will certainly grab him before the 35-40 range.

I think his rank really depends on what type of league you play in. If you are drafting in a redraft league then I would say 35-40 for him but if it's a keeper league I definitely say he moves up to 20-30. The guy is only 22 or 23 if I remember correctly and he plays in a great ballpark. He had injury problems at the end of last year which really killed his ratios. I won't guess about wins but I think 200 innings 180 K's and a 1.28 whip are within reach next year.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:26 am

I've been on the "Bonderman is overrated" bandwagon for awhile now. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for next year and say he has a decent shot at being a league average pitcher. Something he has not been able to do in his first two seasons.

His control was better, but the dropoff in Ks really hurts his value since he isn't going to be a great amount of help in WHIP or ERA. Let someone else spend a midround pick on him. If he drops through to the bottom rounds take a flier.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:39 am

Jason

He's got too much talent to post those kinds of numbers the rest of his career. Sooner or later, he's going to breakout. I'm betting on sooner.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

bleach168 wrote:

Jason

He's got too much talent to post those kinds of numbers the rest of his career. Sooner or later, he's going to breakout. I'm betting on sooner.

4.25 ERA would be a breakout for him. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:52 am

Bonderman has the stuff to be an ace. He actually pitched really well in the first half of last season (.252BA against and 3.99ERA before the All-Star break).

His weakness was the second time through the lineup. He did fine the first and third times; he just needs to be a shutdown pitcher in the 3rd and 4th innings.

Maybe he won't quite crack the top twenty starting pitchers, but I think it would be foolish to let him slide past you in the middle rounds of a draft. There's nothing better than snatching up the slightly above average player who could end up leading your team to a title.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:39 pm

shortsavage wrote:Bonderman has the stuff to be an ace. He actually pitched really well in the first half of last season (.252BA against and 3.99ERA before the All-Star break).

His weakness was the second time through the lineup. He did fine the first and third times; he just needs to be a shutdown pitcher in the 3rd and 4th innings.

Maybe he won't quite crack the top twenty starting pitchers, but I think it would be foolish to let him slide past you in the middle rounds of a draft. There's nothing better than snatching up the slightly above average player who could end up leading your team to a title.

I don't know, I actually remember him being pretty bad in the 1st inning most of the time.

From pitch 1-15 he had a .362 BAA(His season total was .271) and a 1.90 WHIP.

From pitch 16-30 he did do a lot better considering giving up hits since he had a .245 BAA and 1.35 WHIP but his ERA there was 8.23.

His numbers looked fine after that. He just seems to suck the first time through or at least in the first or second inning, he needs to be able to get that out of the way.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:03 pm

You're right, he did get crushed in the 1st inning usually. Perhaps he has more holes than I thought, hehe :-b .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:05 pm

We love him in Detroit, but we want to see him do it all year long first. He was getting all-star consideration last season, but then was not too impressive down the stretch. Maybe he got a bit tired? Don't forget though, he's only 23 years old for this coming season, so it's not like he's past his peak.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers