Pierre, Jones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Pierre, Jones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pierre, Jones

Postby cubyfan06 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:17 pm

Hey, I thought the cubs did good in going after these two. I just want to hear what you guys think about this.
cubyfan06
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:02 pm

theres a lot of offseason left, and im hoping this isnt the final product put on the field next season

im not as disgusted as i should be with Jones. 3 years is just absurd, and at best hes going to provide about the same numbers as Burnitz did, with better defense.

its too early to say with Pierre. it depends on how the money/years work out on his new deal. i do think we gave up a lot in prospects to get him if he turns out to be a 1 year rental. both Pinto and Nolasco could end up as a #3 type starter, and at least one of them likely will get there.

the offense wont be significantly upgraded over last years. Pierre is an improvement in the leadoff spot, but Lee will take a step or two back to earth and ive got a horrible feeling that Jones will bat between Lee and Aramis, because Dusthead loves that R-L-R stuff.

i still dont understand why Walkers bat isnt "part of the plans", but its a near certainity that he is dealt before Spring Training. it wont take much of a slump from Cedeno before we start seeing Neifi and Hairston as the everyday middle infielders, and with that youll have to excuse me. ive got to find some listerine to get that vomit taste out of my mouth
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:24 pm

ThatDude wrote:theres a lot of offseason left, and im hoping this isnt the final product put on the field next season

im not as disgusted as i should be with Jones. 3 years is just absurd, and at best hes going to provide about the same numbers as Burnitz did, with better defense.

its too early to say with Pierre. it depends on how the money/years work out on his new deal. i do think we gave up a lot in prospects to get him if he turns out to be a 1 year rental. both Pinto and Nolasco could end up as a #3 type starter, and at least one of them likely will get there.

the offense wont be significantly upgraded over last years. Pierre is an improvement in the leadoff spot, but Lee will take a step or two back to earth and ive got a horrible feeling that Jones will bat between Lee and Aramis, because Dusthead loves that R-L-R stuff.

i still dont understand why Walkers bat isnt "part of the plans", but its a near certainity that he is dealt before Spring Training. it wont take much of a slump from Cedeno before we start seeing Neifi and Hairston as the everyday middle infielders, and with that youll have to excuse me. ive got to find some listerine to get that vomit taste out of my mouth

Nice post and I agree for the most part. The signing of Jones for this year alone doesn't bother me much, because really at this point there aren't better options out there. But I do not want someone who's OPS has been around .750 the last two years to be our 4/5 hitter for the next 3 years. That's not going to lead us anywhere, only way this deal works out is if he can somehow return to 03/04 form.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ThatDude » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:48 am

Jones wont always be the 4/5 hitter. on the days Neifi gets off, i wouldnt be surprised to see him in the 2 hole
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dcskater619 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:57 am

honestly i think were about to say goodbye to mark prior and hello to miguel tejada..then tejada, lee, ramirez will be the best 3-4-5 combo in baseball and have a left handed guy in jones to back them up..i think that would be real nice with pierre leading off and murton or cedeno in the 2 hole. then jones would fit nicely at 6 with barrett 7th and murton/cedeno at 8.
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby crazyforbaseball » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:57 am

I like both signings especially Pierre. I hope a change of scenery will help Jones out.
crazyforbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ironman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:42 pm

I agree with Jones posting similar numbers as Burnitz but disagree with the defense. Jones has a strong arm but his accuracy isn't all that great.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby PinotResa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:12 am

I like both those signings, as well as Miller.. What do you think the projected lineup is at this point?

Vs. Right

CF- Pierre
2B- Todd Walker
1B- Lee
RF- Jaque Jones
3B- Aramis
C- Barrett
LF- Murton
SS- Nefi
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach