Chacon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chacon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chacon

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:09 pm

What is everyone's opinion on this guy? His K rate plummeted in 05 but pitched very well with the Yanks. He's only 28 and finally out of COL.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:57 pm

I think you hit it on the head with the plummeting K rate... it's just scary. Especially since that outfield is pretty suspect defensively (including Noodle-Arm McJesusBeard in CF).

However, it's hard to argue with the results from '05. I guess if you can retain your sanity after pitching Col for five years, you can probably pitch anywhere.

He might be a good sleeper... but it's hard to call anyone on the Yanks or BoSox sleepers. Unless you're in a league devoid of NYY fans, he's probably going to come off the board earlier than he should. If you can grab him in the last two or three rounds, I'd say go for it.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:18 pm

WittyC wrote:(including Noodle-Arm McJesusBeard in CF).

Nice! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:22 pm

I think Chacon is a very nice late round SP pick. No reason to assume he will not pitch well again. He has some talent, he is out of Coors, the attitude is completely different and it shows. You never know with pitchers, but I liked what I saw last season and see no reason to think he will not be a decent pitcher. How decent is of course debateable.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:28 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I think Chacon is a very nice late round SP pick. No reason to assume he will not pitch well again. He has some talent, he is out of Coors, the attitude is completely different and it shows. You never know with pitchers, but I liked what I saw last season and see no reason to think he will not be a decent pitcher. How decent is of course debateable.

I agree with the Attitude he defintily has a NY attitude
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:19 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I think Chacon is a very nice late round SP pick. No reason to assume he will not pitch well again. He has some talent, he is out of Coors, the attitude is completely different and it shows. You never know with pitchers, but I liked what I saw last season and see no reason to think he will not be a decent pitcher. How decent is of course debateable.

I agree with this. I'd be cautious with him, but I would definately take a gamble on him this year. He was great not only from the trade deadline on, but he was lights out in his postseason start in a must-win game for NY as well.

I like his stuff and think he could have success in NY. Still though, be careful with him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:25 pm

As someone who would typically be on the side of the Yankee-haters, I think the Chacon is gonna bea steal this year. He can be a very late round pick, or a $1 pitcher at the end of an auction, but he is gonna out-produce that by a mile.

I like the potential there and most will still look at his Coors numbers and be scared off.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Agree totally. If he pitches as well as he did last year he can get you a ton of wins (15-16) with a nice ERA (3.30-3.50).
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:07 pm

WittyC wrote:I think you hit it on the head with the plummeting K rate... it's just scary. Especially since that outfield is pretty suspect defensively (including Noodle-Arm McJesusBeard in CF).

How is the Yankee's outfield suspect defensively? They are not Gold Glovers all around but Sheffield and Matsui in RF/LF are both slightly above average defensively and Damon is an above average CF.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm

I don't see the potential out of Chacon that everyone else here is talking about. He won't strike out a lot of batters and he walks too many people to ever boast a good WHIP. Drafting pitchers based on wins is silly based on how much team-dependence and randomness comes into play with run-support.

I'd rather spend those late round picks on players with actual potential, like a Paul Maholm or a Jason Vargas.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers