BUSS Round 2 - California BEATS Kansas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BUSS Round 2 - California BEATS Kansas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

California or Kansas?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:44 am

California
31
72%
Kansas
12
28%
 
Total votes : 43

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:11 am

The one thing I can't stand about Orange County is these huge temperature changes from season to season.

Spring: 60-80 degrees
Summer: 75-95 degrees
Fall: 55-80 degrees
Winter: 45-70 degrees

I love So Cal!
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:21 am

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:The one thing I can't stand about Orange County is these huge temperature changes from season to season.

Spring: 60-80 degrees
Summer: 75-95 degrees
Fall: 55-80 degrees
Winter: 45-70 degrees

I love So Cal!


<img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif> You don't have to rub it in, just cause it's about 5 degrees out at the moment :-t
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:16 am

How did Kansas even make it out of the first round? I have driven across the country twice, and Kansas is by far the worst state I've ever experienced.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:39 am

Half Massed wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Nothing compares to Southern California. Northern California is better than most places.

In reality California is really 2 seperate places. Due to its size, NoCal and SoCal are totally different.


It's true. We have different styles, feels, and even slang.


You are "hella" right! LOL, I can't stand the word "hella!"
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:06 am

aah hell ... why not ..

_______________________________________
Everybody is aware of the East Coast bias when it comes to Baseball. It is always evident in annual award voting, be it Football or Baseball. Most East Coast residents will deny it of course, but there is no denying that it is quite evident in ESPN's annual programming of MLB games. For that matter, when was the last time you saw any sports news broadcast not located in the golden state, begin their broadcast with something other than the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox during the season? MLB itself has the west coast games begin at 10 PM est. when most of the country is off to bed. Would it really be a big hit to MLB's bottom line to start the games one hour earlier and attempt to gain the interest of half of the country? And why not start the games at four or even 5 PM PST. on the weekends, when people on the East Coast could watch the games after they sit down for dinner? Is their any better quality family time than a baseball game? I think not.
I could go on for days when dealing with the East Coast Bias in Baseball, but I think you get the idea.

But yet here we are.

California.

* We have five Major League Ball clubs.
* We house at least 12 Affiliated Minor League clubs, and a countless number of independents.
* We have at least one, usually two teams, and sometimes even three teams in the MLB playoffs every single year, for as long as memory serves.
* Despite finishing below .500 in 2005, The LA Dodgers were 2nd in overall attendance and the San Francisco Giants drew fifth, without their biggest attraction playing mind you.
* California's attendance represents over 20% of the leagues total, and yes, that includes Oakland's pathetic attendance figures.

That is Californians ..
Men, women and children spinning those turnstiles, 405 Major League home games a year, and paying their dues towards baseball.

Oh but wait. There is more.
That is just the ticket paying, TV watching, Memorabilia buying California fans.

What about the California born players themselves?
Now this is almost laughable.
A quick check of MLB's current rosters would show, of all of the locations through out this big blue world, California is by far the largest contributor of current talent to the MLB.

And it’s not even close!

As a matter of fact, the second leading contributor to the MLB as of October 1 2005, is the Dominican Republic with 99 Major league ballplayers. Venezuela comes in a distant third with 48 players. And yet ..

California lays claim to 159 major league ballplayers !!!
159!

This is amazing to ponder ..
159 CA
99 Dominican Republic
48 Venezuela
45 TX
41 FL
35 Puerto Rico
27 IL
25 NY
20 GA, OH
18 PA
17 WA, Mexico
16 LA
14 AL, VA, KY, TN, NC
13 MS
12 IN, Japan
11 NJ
10 MA, OK
9 WI, OR
8 AZ, MI, MN
7 AR, BC, KS, MD, Panama
6 MO, NV, Cuba
5 IA, South Korea
4 ON, CT, DE
3 AK, SD, ND, CO, WV, SC, HI, Colombia
2 RI, NE, NB, UT, Taiwan, West Germany
1 ME, NH, MB, ID, PQ, DC, WY, Curacao, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Australia

It could easily be argued that we Californians, are thee support of the financial machine that is MLB. There is no denying that without California baseball, half of the league would struggle to maintain, and certainly, the quality of the game would suffer.

Don't believe me? Try this ..

The next time you see Jim Edmonds, Morgan Ensberg, Jason Giambi, Derrek Lee, Hank Blalock or Troy Glaus crush a fastball over that 343ft sign.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Michael Young, Chase Utley, Marcus Giles or Nomar Garciaparra guns down your favorite player stretching for first.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Dontrelle Willis, Mark Prior, Randy Johnson, David Wells, Jon Garland or even Aaron Small makes your hometown hero look silly at the plate.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Trevor Hoffman, Chad Cordero, Brad Lidge and Bobby Jenks slams the door on your weak team’s chance at a victory.
Thank a Californian.

Now I don't want to hear about your east coast beaches, your sunny Florida weather, or even your bikini laden women. We got you beat there too.
And yes, we even have snow.

So I think its about time we show California a little love, and say ..

Thanks ..

Don’t you?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 751)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:13 pm

wrveres wrote:aah hell ... why not ..

_______________________________________
Everybody is aware of the East Coast bias when it comes to Baseball. It is always evident in annual award voting, be it Football or Baseball. Most East Coast residents will deny it of course, but there is no denying that it is quite evident in ESPN's annual programming of MLB games. For that matter, when was the last time you saw any sports news broadcast not located in the golden state, begin their broadcast with something other than the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox during the season? MLB itself has the west coast games begin at 10 PM est. when most of the country is off to bed. Would it really be a big hit to MLB's bottom line to start the games one hour earlier and attempt to gain the interest of half of the country? And why not start the games at four or even 5 PM PST. on the weekends, when people on the East Coast could watch the games after they sit down for dinner? Is their any better quality family time than a baseball game? I think not.
I could go on for days when dealing with the East Coast Bias in Baseball, but I think you get the idea.

But yet here we are.

California.

* We have five Major League Ball clubs.
* We house at least 12 Affiliated Minor League clubs, and a countless number of independents.
* We have at least one, usually two teams, and sometimes even three teams in the MLB playoffs every single year, for as long as memory serves.
* Despite finishing below .500 in 2005, The LA Dodgers were 2nd in overall attendance and the San Francisco Giants drew fifth, without their biggest attraction playing mind you.
* California's attendance represents over 20% of the leagues total, and yes, that includes Oakland's pathetic attendance figures.

That is Californians ..
Men, women and children spinning those turnstiles, 405 Major League home games a year, and paying their dues towards baseball.

Oh but wait. There is more.
That is just the ticket paying, TV watching, Memorabilia buying California fans.

What about the California born players themselves?
Now this is almost laughable.
A quick check of MLB's current rosters would show, of all of the locations through out this big blue world, California is by far the largest contributor of current talent to the MLB.

And it’s not even close!

As a matter of fact, the second leading contributor to the MLB as of October 1 2005, is the Dominican Republic with 99 Major league ballplayers. Venezuela comes in a distant third with 48 players. And yet ..

California lays claim to 159 major league ballplayers !!!
159!

This is amazing to ponder ..
159 CA
99 Dominican Republic
48 Venezuela
45 TX
41 FL
35 Puerto Rico
27 IL
25 NY
20 GA, OH
18 PA
17 WA, Mexico
16 LA
14 AL, VA, KY, TN, NC
13 MS
12 IN, Japan
11 NJ
10 MA, OK
9 WI, OR
8 AZ, MI, MN
7 AR, BC, KS, MD, Panama
6 MO, NV, Cuba
5 IA, South Korea
4 ON, CT, DE
3 AK, SD, ND, CO, WV, SC, HI, Colombia
2 RI, NE, NB, UT, Taiwan, West Germany
1 ME, NH, MB, ID, PQ, DC, WY, Curacao, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Australia

It could easily be argued that we Californians, are thee support of the financial machine that is MLB. There is no denying that without California baseball, half of the league would struggle to maintain, and certainly, the quality of the game would suffer.

Don't believe me? Try this ..

The next time you see Jim Edmonds, Morgan Ensberg, Jason Giambi, Derrek Lee, Hank Blalock or Troy Glaus crush a fastball over that 343ft sign.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Michael Young, Chase Utley, Marcus Giles or Nomar Garciaparra guns down your favorite player stretching for first.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Dontrelle Willis, Mark Prior, Randy Johnson, David Wells, Jon Garland or even Aaron Small makes your hometown hero look silly at the plate.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Trevor Hoffman, Chad Cordero, Brad Lidge and Bobby Jenks slams the door on your weak team’s chance at a victory.
Thank a Californian.

Now I don't want to hear about your east coast beaches, your sunny Florida weather, or even your bikini laden women. We got you beat there too.
And yes, we even have snow.

So I think its about time we show California a little love, and say ..

Thanks ..

Don’t you?


wr, did we really need to break out the big guns against little old Kansas ;-7
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:59 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
wrveres wrote:aah hell ... why not ..

_______________________________________
Everybody is aware of the East Coast bias when it comes to Baseball. It is always evident in annual award voting, be it Football or Baseball. Most East Coast residents will deny it of course, but there is no denying that it is quite evident in ESPN's annual programming of MLB games. For that matter, when was the last time you saw any sports news broadcast not located in the golden state, begin their broadcast with something other than the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox during the season? MLB itself has the west coast games begin at 10 PM est. when most of the country is off to bed. Would it really be a big hit to MLB's bottom line to start the games one hour earlier and attempt to gain the interest of half of the country? And why not start the games at four or even 5 PM PST. on the weekends, when people on the East Coast could watch the games after they sit down for dinner? Is their any better quality family time than a baseball game? I think not.
I could go on for days when dealing with the East Coast Bias in Baseball, but I think you get the idea.

But yet here we are.

California.

* We have five Major League Ball clubs.
* We house at least 12 Affiliated Minor League clubs, and a countless number of independents.
* We have at least one, usually two teams, and sometimes even three teams in the MLB playoffs every single year, for as long as memory serves.
* Despite finishing below .500 in 2005, The LA Dodgers were 2nd in overall attendance and the San Francisco Giants drew fifth, without their biggest attraction playing mind you.
* California's attendance represents over 20% of the leagues total, and yes, that includes Oakland's pathetic attendance figures.

That is Californians ..
Men, women and children spinning those turnstiles, 405 Major League home games a year, and paying their dues towards baseball.

Oh but wait. There is more.
That is just the ticket paying, TV watching, Memorabilia buying California fans.

What about the California born players themselves?
Now this is almost laughable.
A quick check of MLB's current rosters would show, of all of the locations through out this big blue world, California is by far the largest contributor of current talent to the MLB.

And it’s not even close!

As a matter of fact, the second leading contributor to the MLB as of October 1 2005, is the Dominican Republic with 99 Major league ballplayers. Venezuela comes in a distant third with 48 players. And yet ..

California lays claim to 159 major league ballplayers !!!
159!

This is amazing to ponder ..
159 CA
99 Dominican Republic
48 Venezuela
45 TX
41 FL
35 Puerto Rico
27 IL
25 NY
20 GA, OH
18 PA
17 WA, Mexico
16 LA
14 AL, VA, KY, TN, NC
13 MS
12 IN, Japan
11 NJ
10 MA, OK
9 WI, OR
8 AZ, MI, MN
7 AR, BC, KS, MD, Panama
6 MO, NV, Cuba
5 IA, South Korea
4 ON, CT, DE
3 AK, SD, ND, CO, WV, SC, HI, Colombia
2 RI, NE, NB, UT, Taiwan, West Germany
1 ME, NH, MB, ID, PQ, DC, WY, Curacao, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Australia

It could easily be argued that we Californians, are thee support of the financial machine that is MLB. There is no denying that without California baseball, half of the league would struggle to maintain, and certainly, the quality of the game would suffer.

Don't believe me? Try this ..

The next time you see Jim Edmonds, Morgan Ensberg, Jason Giambi, Derrek Lee, Hank Blalock or Troy Glaus crush a fastball over that 343ft sign.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Michael Young, Chase Utley, Marcus Giles or Nomar Garciaparra guns down your favorite player stretching for first.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Dontrelle Willis, Mark Prior, Randy Johnson, David Wells, Jon Garland or even Aaron Small makes your hometown hero look silly at the plate.
Thank a Californian.

The next time Trevor Hoffman, Chad Cordero, Brad Lidge and Bobby Jenks slams the door on your weak team’s chance at a victory.
Thank a Californian.

Now I don't want to hear about your east coast beaches, your sunny Florida weather, or even your bikini laden women. We got you beat there too.
And yes, we even have snow.

So I think its about time we show California a little love, and say ..

Thanks ..

Don’t you?


wr, did we really need to break out the big guns against little old Kansas ;-7


Seriously, we should have saved this for the real states... not Kansas.
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:19 pm

I love California baseball, even though they stole my grandfather's beloved Dodgers... I'm ok with the East Coast Baseball Bias myself, as I'm from the East Coast, but I totally agree it exists. That's just how ESPN's programming is setup for the most part.

Also, while California is home to 5 major league teams and all those great players, Red Sox and Yankees games just bring in more viewers. I mean, I don't have any hard numbers, but I think Yankees vs. Red Sox is a bigger audience then, say, Giants vs. Athletics. And we're not talking real baseball fans like us, I mean John Q. Public, who is already averse to baseball nowadays anyway (what a tragedy). Fact is, teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies have been around forever... and they represent the true history of baseball itself. Then again, we have some real crap teams too, like the Braves (talk about bias, I'm starting to go overboard here).
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:36 pm

Coppermine wrote:I love California baseball, even though they stole my grandfather's beloved Dodgers... I'm ok with the East Coast Baseball Bias myself, as I'm from the East Coast, but I totally agree it exists. That's just how ESPN's programming is setup for the most part.

Also, while California is home to 5 major league teams and all those great players, Red Sox and Yankees games just bring in more viewers. I mean, I don't have any hard numbers, but I think Yankees vs. Red Sox is a bigger audience then, say, Giants vs. Athletics. And we're not talking real baseball fans like us, I mean John Q. Public, who is already averse to baseball nowadays anyway (what a tragedy). Fact is, teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies have been around forever... and they represent the true history of baseball itself. Then again, we have some real crap teams too, like the Braves (talk about bias, I'm starting to go overboard here).


Giants/Dodgers is a pretty intense rivalry as well, just doesn't get the publicity...
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:37 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I love California baseball, even though they stole my grandfather's beloved Dodgers... I'm ok with the East Coast Baseball Bias myself, as I'm from the East Coast, but I totally agree it exists. That's just how ESPN's programming is setup for the most part.

Also, while California is home to 5 major league teams and all those great players, Red Sox and Yankees games just bring in more viewers. I mean, I don't have any hard numbers, but I think Yankees vs. Red Sox is a bigger audience then, say, Giants vs. Athletics. And we're not talking real baseball fans like us, I mean John Q. Public, who is already averse to baseball nowadays anyway (what a tragedy). Fact is, teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies have been around forever... and they represent the true history of baseball itself. Then again, we have some real crap teams too, like the Braves (talk about bias, I'm starting to go overboard here).


Giants/Dodgers is a pretty intense rivalry as well, just doesn't get the publicity...

Yeah, didn't some Giants fan get shot to death in the LA parking lot a couple years ago?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1633
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Nevada

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 14
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Washington at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Miami at Philadelphia
(1:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Boston at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Colorado at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Atlanta at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(4:05 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(4:10 pm)
Oakland at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Baltimore
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact