Ponson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Ponson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ponson

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:03 am

Rotoworld wrote:The Cardinals are set to announce the signing of Sidney Ponson to a one-year deal.
More good news for Astros, Cubs and Brewers fans if the Cardinals put Ponson into the rotation and send Anthony Reyes back to the minors. Sure Ponson is the type of pitcher Dave Duncan tends to have success with, but he's not outperforming Reyes.

I guess Duncan thinks he can turn him back around. Personally, I'm not happy with this at all, but then again, I'm never "thrilled" with Walt's moves, but they've won 100 games two years in a row. Who am I to complain after that... :-[
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:08 am

StlToday.com wrote:The Cardinals have reached agreement on a one-year contract with free agent pitcher Sidney Ponson, who will attempt to resuscitate a once promising career following a troubled 2005 on and off the field.

The club is expected to announce the signing of the 29-year-old Aruban righthander this afternoon, according to a source familiar with negotiations. Terms haven't been disclosed but are expected to include numerous appearance incentives.

Tuesday's agreement occurred barely 24 hours after Ponson's release from a Baltimore jail, where he served five days for a drunk driving arrest in August. That arrest prompted the Orioles to void the remainder of his three-year, $22.5 million contract. That action prompted the Players Association to file a grievance on his behalf. The matter is pending.

The one-year contract represents minimal financial risk but a significant leap of faith by a Cardinals organization acutely sensitive to controversy. Ponson was arrested twice last year for DWI and submitted to a 30-day treatment program for alcoholism after his release by the Orioles. He also spent 11 days in an Aruban jail following an incident in which he punched a judge on a beach.

Before the Orioles released him, Ponson was due to make $10 million in 2006.

Ponson signed a three-year deal with the Orioles after going 17-12 with a 3.75 ERA in 2003, splitting the season between Baltimore and the San Francisco Giants. He owns a career 76-91 record and a 4.81 ERA. His problems have escalated since signing the multiyear deal, culminating in a 7-11 mark and 6.21 ERA in 23 games last season. Ponson was 0-6 in his last seven starts with the Orioles.

A strained calf sent Ponson to the disabled list before his second alcohol-related arrest in eight months caused the club to void his contract. By then, his relationship with Baltimore media had so deteriorated he refused all comment.

Until Tuesday, rookie Anthony Reyes was considered the favorite to move into the fifth starter's role for the Cardinals following the defection of Matt Morris to the Giants for a three-year, $27 million contract.

Ponson once served as the Orioles' ace. His one start against the Cardinals was a complete game win at Busch Stadium in 2003.

Ponson's career record is marred by numerous seasons of indifferent support. He never played for a winning team in Baltimore and assumed a heavy-innings load after reaching the major leagues at only 21. Ponson initially thrived under pitching coach Ray Miller but rebelled against Sammy Ellis and Mark Wiley. Ponson won at least 12 games in 1999, 2003 and 2004.

The last two seasons represented a dramatic reversal for a pitcher who finally had embraced the notion of working for ground balls rather than strikeouts. After holding opponents to a .257 average in 2003, Ponson allowed a .305 average in 2004 and a .337 mark and an average of 1.73 runners per inning last season. He failed to finish the third inning three times in his last seven starts.

Ponson will be a different looking pitcher. Since reaching the major leagues in 1998, he has pitched with his head shaved. Photographed leaving the central booking center following his arrest Monday, Ponson sported a full head of dark hair.

The Cardinals are expected to continue fleshing out their pitching staff by signing reliever Felix Rodriguez to a one-year deal as well. Should Rodriguez sign, general manager Walt Jocketty could project a 12-man staff for the first time since the majority of his bullpen and Morris filed for free agency or retired following last season. Octavio Dotel, whom the Cardinals had courted, signed a one-year deal with the New York Yankees on Tuesday.

I think Reyes is still the favorite to move into the fifth spot...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lostraven » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:32 am

Ok. I may well be proven wrong by all of these "value" signings,
but is all of this because of the cost of the new stadium? Surely
not, right? Some of these offseason moves have been just
plain painful.

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby denny_32 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:35 am

This is puzzling. Why would you want a booze-hound on your team? He can't keep the bottle from his lips, and now Walt thinks the Card's can turn this guy around? Are you kidding me?

I hope Reyes is still the front runner for the #5 spot. But, my thoughts on this is that they give Ponson the #4 spot and trade Marquis. They need to get another bat, not another mediocre pitcher.
[size=9][b]Member #007 of the [url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116750&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0]Yadier Molina Fan Club.[/url][/b][/size]
denny_32
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:34 pm

Any word on how much he is getting? Depending on the money I might really like the signing. Ponson has been pretty bad the last 2 years but he has shown the talent to succeed and Duncan turned around Woody and Carp.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby denny_32 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:24 pm

This is the only information I could find.

Source: ESPN.com

Terms of the deal have not been announced, but the contract is believed to have a low base salary with plenty of incentives.
[size=9][b]Member #007 of the [url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116750&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0]Yadier Molina Fan Club.[/url][/b][/size]
denny_32
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:35 pm

The Sporting News wrote:Ponson's agreement with the Cardinals calls for a $1 million base salary and allows him to earn an additional $1.5 million in performance bonuses.

I like it. Worst case the Cards are out $1 million. Best case, Duncan works his magic and they get an above average SP for $2.5 million
Last edited by Pogotheostrich on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:34 pm

i dont really like it. part of me says he is a groundball pitcher that dunc may be able to fix, but most of me says there really isnt anything there to fix and jason johnson probably would have been a better gamble.

my gut reaction is that reyes will go back to AAA, but i hope that marquis gets traded. i hope it doesnt mean reyes will get traded.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:55 pm

I like this the more I think about it. $1 million+ on a flier of a guy that might just pan out and allow us to trade Marquis. At the worst, he goes to AAA and works on his junk, and the big-league club is no worse off than it was before. If this was a multi-year deal, I'd be more upset.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:28 pm

i guess for me it all boils down to whether or not he actually has stopped drinking and whether or not he can continue to control the drinking.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals