Dotel signs with the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dotel signs with the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:00 pm

We shall see. Guy is coming off TJ surgery and that is never a good thing. Could give a half year of solid work...could be a waste of 2 M. Only time will tell.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:03 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:We shall see. Guy is coming off TJ surgery and that is never a good thing. Could give a half year of solid work...could be a waste of 2 M. Only time will tell.

Not necessarily if it's his first time coming off TJ surgery.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:00 pm

Dotel's TJ surgery went as well as it possibly could have - better than most. Remember, this guy elected to have it himself regardless of his training staff telling him that he would be fine to simply rehab it. I think he would be a nice gamble, but 2 million is a high priced gamble. The Yankees don't seem to have a problem with cash in any denominations so why not? Just make sure you aren't depending on him to be a setup guy with electric stuff for the whole season.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby perlick29 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:43 pm

RynMan wrote:Dotel's TJ surgery went as well as it possibly could have - better than most. Remember, this guy elected to have it himself regardless of his training staff telling him that he would be fine to simply rehab it. I think he would be a nice gamble, but 2 million is a high priced gamble. The Yankees don't seem to have a problem with cash in any denominations so why not? Just make sure you aren't depending on him to be a setup guy with electric stuff for the whole season.

2 million dpesnt go as far in the Yanks organization so i think the gamble is reasonably priced rather than high priced.

Besides, we held on to Lieber during his injury and he came back and pitched quite well. I'm hoping for a repeat performance.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:45 pm

wrveres wrote:Only the Yankees and the Sox could throw 2 million at an injured reliever who may not pitch till June.
Most teams need to trade away their second baseman to clear budget room, just to sign there own closer ...

another huge dis-advantage, that needs to be fixed by a salary cap.

I agree that there needs to be a salary cap but I disagree that only the Yankees and Sox could sign a reliever to this type of deal. The Cubs have already signed Howry and Eyre to 4 mil a year deals as MR and the Cards have signed Looper to a similar deal. I'm not saying Dotel isn't a risk but many players come back stronger after TJ and he already has a track record of being dominant in MR. I think this is a good signing for the Yanks.

Trading away Loretta so you can keep Hoffman (at 6.5 a year which is an awesome deal for him and I'm glad he's staying in SD) is very different from trading away Loretta so you can keep a MR for 2 mil.....
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:01 am

wrveres wrote:Only the Yankees and the Sox could throw 2 million at an injured reliever who may not pitch till June.
Most teams need to trade away their second baseman to clear budget room, just to sign there own closer ...

i think more revenue sharing will be good enough. salary cap will just make trades very hard to come by like in the NFL. offseason no fun then.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:03 am

Music2004Man wrote:

I agree that there needs to be a salary cap but I disagree that only the Yankees and Sox could sign a reliever to this type of deal. The Cubs have already signed Howry and Eyre to 4 mil a year deals as MR and the Cards have signed Looper to a similar deal. I'm not saying Dotel isn't a risk but many players come back stronger after TJ and he already has a track record of being dominant in MR. I think this is a good signing for the Yanks.

Trading away Loretta so you can keep Hoffman (at 6.5 a year which is an awesome deal for him and I'm glad he's staying in SD) is very different from trading away Loretta so you can keep a MR for 2 mil.....

all of those pitchers you mentioned are healthy ...
And it generally takes a pitcher a good two years to return from TJ .. that will be 2007.
for 85% of the teams it is a big big risk, for the Yankees it is ball boy money.

while Lieber may have been a success yes, ask Boston how there Wade Miller expriment worked
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:05 am

I'm a Yankee fan and I don't understand this. Didn't the Yanks learn with John Lieber?

Now here they are giving Dotel, a very good set up guy, 2M to basically rehab with them. And then what? He'll be cast off after his still-weak arm gives up a key HR in October.

Dumb. They should have at least given 2 years for lesser per year and at least benefitted down the road.

:-/
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:32 am

Y`s Guy wrote:I'm a Yankee fan and I don't understand this. Didn't the Yanks learn with John Lieber?

Now here they are giving Dotel, a very good set up guy, 2M to basically rehab with them. And then what? He'll be cast off after his still-weak arm gives up a key HR in October.

Dumb. They should have at least given 2 years for lesser per year and at least benefitted down the road.

:-/

How is Dotel's arm going to be still-weak? Most guys are even stronger and better after TJ surgery. If you're suggesting he won't rehab well, then he won't be pitching in October anyway.

And Jon Lieber had an option for 2005, the Yankees just declined it thinking that they could get him cheaper. However, the Mets gave Benson $21 million and they found out they couldn't get him cheaper, and they made a moronic move by getting Jaret Wright instead of admitting their mistake and taking Lieber back for the money he would have gotten anyway.

I don't see the similarity. Dotel can provide a big boost to this team this year if he has recovered as well as we all think (and hope) he has. I love this signing for $2 million per year.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:40 am

The Yanks paid Lieber well for two years. Year One to rehab. Year Two to get his arm back in shape. Then they let him walk letting another team benefit from him at fiull-strength. I don't think the Yanks ever had Lieber at more than 85%.

With Dotel they will pay him 1M to rehab and 1M to get his arm strength for three more months. He will not(!!) be 100% this year. I just can't see it. Then he'll be gone to blossom somewhere else.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers