Rumor: Kerry Wood for Vidro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Kerry Wood for Vidro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rumor: Kerry Wood for Vidro

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm

rotoworld.com
The Cubs and Nationals might be discussing a deal that would send Kerry Wood to Washington for Jose Vidro and Ryan Church, according to the Washington Examiner's Jim Williams.
This is being treated as a legitimate rumor, but we're highly skeptical. With a knee injury that could limit him for the rest of his career and three years and $23 million remaining on his contract, Vidro should be nearly untradeable. Also, Wood has a no-trade clause, so he could block any deal. Williams says that if the deal goes down, it would happen closer to spring training.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005 ... lliams.txt
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GameOn » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:54 pm

That would be a great deal for the Nats...they would get a good starter to fill the rotation and it would allow the baby Soriano to go back to 2B.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Area51's » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:59 pm

Sounds like thats heavy on the rumour side, but I don't think the cubs should pull the trigger on that unless they completely have given up on Wood; which I'm sure they haven't.

At this point, the Soriano deal isn't looking so hot for the Nats. Vidro will be hard to move--but still a long time till opening day.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:47 pm

Church could do really nicely in Wrigley.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dcskater619 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:51 pm

lol cubs will never do it..kerry wood when healthy is one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball, along with mark prior and carlos zambrano..cubs arent that desperate for a 2nd baseman when they do have walker along with neifi and hairston still
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:55 pm

Cubs could get more for Wood...Id wait until he is healthy at the beginning of the year and trade him after a couple of starts when he has value.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:04 pm

This would be the definition of selling Kerry Wood at his low point. Why would they even entertain deals for him at this point. The Cubs just have to cross their fingers and hope he rebounds, even if it's only for a few months - then they could trade him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:07 pm

and todd walker becomes a benchwarmer. this might be the worst-though-out rumor of all-time.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dmville » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 pm

I for one am one who has given up on KW. I'd rather it be Church and a prospect or two, but if you are giving damaged goods I guess you got to take some back.

Church could maybe fill their OF hole and a Vidro/Walker platoon at 2B wouldn't be horrible and gives them legit bat off the bench in every game. Makes Hairston the 4th OF, Patterson leaves and Neifi will I'm sure steal from Cedeno's SS time (at this point at least). Vidro's contract is no worse than KW's I'm guessing.

Someone above said give KW a couple games to gain value. I disagree. That's all it could take to send him to the scrap heap again. Move him before he has a chance to injure himself again or for people to see he has lost something.

They'll never get an Grade A player for KW. They're going to have to settle for damaged goods and up and comers.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:21 pm

If Wood is ever healthy his future should be as a closer. Vidro well I would try and dump him as the Nats are doing. As for Church who knows.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers