Texas/San Diego Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Texas/San Diego Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tthousand66 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:30 am

Wow, I am surprised people like overachieving one year flash Chris Young. He went winless for nearly the final two months of the year before beating hapless/hitless Seattle in the final week of the year. Eaton always looks like he is oozing talent everytime I've seen him. And all the negative talk on Adrian Gonzalez is puzzling too. He is exactly the kind of guy who could show up out of nowhere to make an impact as an everyday player. He's never been given that chance. so let's see if he can do what he has done in AAA at the ML level.

Amazing how some people see things so different. And I respect the opinions, particularly when backed by the numbers...I just think this one goes past the numbers. Give me Eaton in a contract year with a great offense and two teams in the division that can't hit at all (A's and M's) over Young, who appeared to be figured out and/or fatigued for a large part of the year.
"all i care about....is baseball"---Tyrus Raymond Cobb
tthousand66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:41 am

tthousand66 wrote:Wow, I am surprised people like overachieving one year flash Chris Young. He went winless for nearly the final two months of the year before beating hapless/hitless Seattle in the final week of the year.

That was the arm issues I mentioned about Young in my earlier post. ;-) However, if it was simply a matter of him logging that many innings, and not a problem or injury, I just like his upside better than Eaton's.

tthousand66 wrote:Eaton always looks like he is oozing talent everytime I've seen him. And all the negative talk on Adrian Gonzalez is puzzling too. He is exactly the kind of guy who could show up out of nowhere to make an impact as an everyday player. He's never been given that chance. so let's see if he can do what he has done in AAA at the ML level.

Oozing talent, and actually finding it, are two different things. While Eaton might be oozing talent, he sure hasn't found it yet.

As to Adrian, I won't and haven't bad mouthed him, but in today's day and age of baseball, he really isn't anything overly special. .300 avg and 20 homers will ensure he has a job, but normally your firstbaseman is a power producing player. Adrian most likely won't ever fill that mold.

tthousand66 wrote:Amazing how some people see things so different. And I respect the opinions, particularly when backed by the numbers...I just think this one goes past the numbers. Give me Eaton in a contract year with a great offense and two teams in the division that can't hit at all (A's and M's) over Young, who appeared to be figured out and/or fatigued for a large part of the year.

What could be better for Eaton than pitching in the NL and in Petco? Didn't seem to do that much good, so Ameriquest and no pitcher to face in the lineup won't help him much.

Oh, and this is coming from probably the biggest Ranger fan here at the Cafe'. Believe me, if I thought this trade was good at all, I'd be celebrating, rather than trying to dig up details to make this not look as bad as it looks. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:47 am

Madison, don't mean to burst your bubble about Killian, but he's a career .218 minor league hitter.

And Gonzalez has a higher upside than you're letting on. 18 homeruns and a .561 slugging in 83 AAA games last season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:08 am

davidmarver wrote:Madison, don't mean to burst your bubble about Killian, but he's a career .218 minor league hitter.

And Gonzalez has a higher upside than you're letting on. 18 homeruns and a .561 slugging in 83 AAA games last season.

I don't know all that much about Killian, and already admitted that, but what you're leaving out is that the kid is 19 years old. It's not like he's had that much experience just yet. I will admit that he hasn't impressed me any, just going off the reports I've read. They all say he's a decent prospect.

Even Rotoworld agrees:

Killian, a 2004 third-round pick out of high school, hit .263/.296/.355 between the Rookie AZL Padres and short-season Single-A Eugene last season. Despite the poor numbers, he's a decent prospect. Dec. 20 - 3:49 pm et

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB&lastline=166033

Like I said though, I don't know much about this kid, but at 19 years old, it's a bit early to say. ;-) Also seems he's only had one year of minor league experience, and you and Rotoworld's numbers seem to disagree. :-?

As to Adrian, remember those home runs came off of AAA pitching. Also, for the last couple of years down here, everyone, and I do mean everyone and everything I've read about him, has him pegged as a Mark Grace clone. While that's definitely not bad, it's not like he's a huge prospect or anything. I'm not talking the guy down, I'd loved to have kept him since his home runs would be higher in Ameriquest, but the Mark Grace references for the last couple of years really show that Adrian isn't destined to be a big power hitter. Sure, he could develop more power, but we'll just have to wait and see about that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Half Massed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:15 am

Well it certaintly looks as if Texas got the short end of the stick on this one. San Diego improves its offense a good deal and, most likely, its starting rotation at least a little while losing out on its pen. Texas improves the pen while losing out on offense and probably starting pitching slightly as well.

I guess if you consider the two starters dealt as a wash (which I wouldn't at all), then Texas improves its bullpen while clearing good but un-usable talent from its offense. Should the SPs been left out of this, I'd say Texas did what it needed, but I think they downgraded on SP, so this trade didn't end up in the green for them.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:58 am

Well, I'm torn regarding this trade. Given the value of Sledge and Gonzalez, who weren't going to play. I say you have to give SD credit for realizing that. So they traded Young, who surprised everybody by his performance last year, a perfect sell high canidate. At least Tex has improved their rotations leaps and bounds from what it was a year ago with the decent acquisitions of Padilla, Eaton, Otuska. From a baseball perspective, this deal makes a lot more sense than fantasy-wise one. Also, maybe they think Danks is ready???

And I do mean leaps and bounds...2005 Rotation
1.Young
2.Rodriguez
3.Kameron Loe
4Dominguez
5Dickey

just horrible... :-t

Keep making moves Tex!!!!!
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby tthousand66 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:34 pm

that was NOT their rotation all year. Don't forget Chan Ho, Pedro Astacio (who did well for a while) and Kenny Rogers.
"all i care about....is baseball"---Tyrus Raymond Cobb
tthousand66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sockeye » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:17 pm

Strasil42 wrote:The Rangers just got raped.

Ughhhhhhh. Second reference in one thread. Sure seems like an unneccessary analogy. Nothing like a sharp stick in the eye for any members who happen to be past victims of sexual abuse.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:33 pm

sockeye wrote:Ughhhhhhh. Second reference in one thread. Sure seems like an unneccessary analogy.

Yeah I agree...
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:23 pm

Havok1517 wrote:And I do mean leaps and bounds...2005 Rotation
1.Young
2.Rodriguez
3.Kameron Loe
4Dominguez
5Dickey

just horrible... :-t

Keep making moves Tex!!!!!

Their rotation is not better. They lost Rogers who is better than anyone they had or got via trade this offseason. They haven't replaced someone of his talent yet. They added Padilla who is not better than Young. Eaton is average, so I don't see any improvement with their rotation at all.

They also lost offense from last year so I don't see how they improved at all, other than their bullpen.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers