Texas/San Diego Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Texas/San Diego Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm

slomo007 wrote:I guess it depends on how you look at it, and what Adrian Gonzalez was worth to real life teams.

For example, if you look at it from the Rangers' perspective. They have been trying to trade Adrian for a while now, with no great deals being offered for over a year. He fits absolutely nowhere in Texas, he would be stuck in AAA or as a bench player. He, in all honesty, is not worth much to Texas. So in a sense, the deal was Young for Eaton (wash, IMO) and Otsuka (great value). Young is a decent pitcher, nothing spectacular but the move to SD will surely help. Eaton has more raw talent and if he can ever put it together will surely be a better pitcher than Young. However, who knows if that will happen. With a gun to my head I would take Young, but Eaton is still intriguing. But, if you throw in Otsuka there is no doubt I would take the Eaton/Otsuka combo over Young.

Sledge is a toss-in, there was no room for him in Texas anyway. I'm glad they chose to keep Wilkerson over him.

But, if you look at it from the perspective that Adrian could have gotten a good SP for him alone if given time, then obviously you do not like this deal. However, given the ridiculous contracts being given out to crappy and mediocre starters like Benson, Washburn, Burnett, etc, then I don't think a light-hitting/contact first baseman would have pulled a legit ML starter in return. I could be wrong, but I just don't think he was very valuable in terms of pitchers.

you can have Adam ... ;-7
I am tired of waiting for that breakout to come. He is almost 30 now, and I don't see it happening. Certainly not in Arlington.

I know who Chris Young is ... I am even more stoked that the Padres should control him for the next 4-5 years.

Adrian ... again, welcome home. I don't see him bieng moved, at least I hope not, but you never know, cus KT has a hard on for Wells.

Sledge is the inriguing prospect in all of this.
He was a highly touted prospect only a year ago, now he is Just a toss in ...

Sweet,
I like
I love it
I want some more of it
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm

wrveres wrote:Kevin ... Sorry about all of those horrible things I said about you ... The Voodoo doll with all of the needles in the nuts ... Gone!
The curse I put on you after last season .. lifted ...

He still hasn't redeemed himself in my mind over the Mirabelli/Loretta trade.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:31 pm

RynMan wrote:
wrveres wrote:Kevin ... Sorry about all of those horrible things I said about you ... The Voodoo doll with all of the needles in the nuts ... Gone!

We will see, how it works out once Mirabelli gets fulltime work again.
At the time it was a cost cutting move, to sign Trevor.
The money saved was minimal, but it was money saved. As an Oaklnad fan, I am sure you understand
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:39 pm

RynMan wrote:

We traded an injured secondbaseman for a catcher (something we needed) all so we could resign our team icon and bring up our best prospect (Barfield). Yeah, terrible trade. ;-7
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:59 pm

Move up Chris Young in your rankings!!! ;-D ;-D

I liked him as a sleeper even in Texas, imagine him in Petco now.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:02 pm

davidmarver wrote:We traded an injured secondbaseman for a catcher (something we needed) all so we could resign our team icon and bring up our best prospect (Barfield). Yeah, terrible trade. ;-7

So you are telling me that you are happy about getting a backup catcher for Loretta? I don't mind that you traded him, all I'm saying is that you didn't get much value in return.

I'm also glad that SD resigned Hoffman, but I'm of the mindset that closers are overrated and overpaid.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:07 pm

Eaton goes from Dodger-killer to
A's and Angels b*tch...

;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:23 pm

wrveres wrote:Eaton goes from Dodger-killer to
A's and Angels b*tch...

;-D

:-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:58 am

Well chit. I've got quite a bit going through my head right now about this trade, so if all these thoughts are jumbled, tough noogies. :-b

Ok, we traded away Chris Young. Not real happy about that. The kid did well in his first major league season, and even beat Eaton in ERA, while he was pitching in a launching pad and Eaton was pitching in a pitcher's park. Don't like that one bit.

However, I guess the Padres are not concerned about Young wearing down toward the end of the season last year, and losing MPH on his pitches. Possible injury........and at the very least, an injury risk......Hmm......what's Texas not telling us.........Right now I'm not too happy, but at the same time I can't really say anything one way or the other, until I see if Young manages to stay healthy next season.

We traded away Adrian. Big deal. .300 avg and 20 home runs. Not that big of a deal for a firstbaseman nowadays, and we have no room to play him. No real loss other than we lose a trading chip (which is actually a big deal since we're not done trading yet). Does help San Diego though.

Lose Sledge. Hmm......Ok. I liked the possibility of him in Ameriquest, liked him as a trading chip even more. Definitely don't like seeing us give away a couple of trading chips on this deal.

We got Eaton. Why? I really don't think his upside is very high. Sure, he's a veteran and pitched a few years, but I'm not that high on him in Ameriquest. Bad era in Petco will result in a bad era here I do believe. I think Padilla will turn in better numbers than Eaton when the season is over.

We got Otsuka. If there's a bright spot to this trade, this is it. We got a reliever who K's a guy an inning (huge plus in Ameriquest), and we are in dire need of bullpen help. He's a better alternative than Graves, Looper, Dotel, etc, that we've been rumored to be interested in. Don't like that era spike last year, but he should be better than some of the other alternatives, which I know, I know, really isn't saying much.

We got Killian. 19 year old catcher, and a solid prospect from what I've read. Might turn into a good trading chip a year or two from now, but not really sure what the Rangers are/were thinking.

Overall, I don't like this deal at the moment. The only way I see this deal being good for the Rangers is if Young battles arm problems, or just flat blows his arm out next year. I don't hope that happens simply because I hate wishing harm on most players, so if he does suffer an injury, I won't be celebrating at all. It will make this deal look better though.

The Rangers are courting Millwood, and I have to admit that a rotation of Millwood, Padilla, Eaton, is better than Old Man Rogers, ?, ? from last year's rotation. However, a rotation of Millwood, Padilla, Chris Young has more upside, I do believe. Oh well.

Signed,

A confused and unhappy Ranger fan at the moment. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:03 am

The Rangers just got raped.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers