Texas/San Diego Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Texas/San Diego Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:14 pm

Wow, Texas continues to suprise me with their decision making. The one thing I see as a positive is they got a pitcher esentially from the Soriano deal, but they lost arguably their best pitcher too.

They trade Gonzalez who could demand a decent pitcher, like an Eaton, but they blow it by throwing their top pitcher into the deal. They get a good MR, but I don't think its enough to make up for what they lose.

The only PTBNL that would make this a fair trade for the Rangers is Stauffer.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:16 pm

This trade completely baffles me. Arent the Rangers supposed to be targeting SP's? Sure they got a great reliever, but is that what they really need? Giving up Gonzalez AND Young for Otsuka? I just dont get it. I guess I am just not a fan of Eaton.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:19 pm

Young should be good pitching in that park
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:24 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:This trade completely baffles me. Arent the Rangers supposed to be targeting SP's? Sure they got a great reliever, but is that what they really need? Giving up Gonzalez AND Young for Otsuka? I just dont get it. I guess I am just not a fan of Eaton.

No, you're not the only one.....I'm a little confused on this one too. I would have thought Chris Young was untouchable. Maybe the Rangers are planning on starting Otsuka? :-o
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby killercars » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:25 pm

Phatferd wrote:The only PTBNL that would make this a fair trade for the Rangers is Stauffer.

What about Barfield? Is that just too much or would he make this deal a good one for texas?

???

Here's texas right now... !+)
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phatferd » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:26 pm

killercars wrote:
Phatferd wrote:The only PTBNL that would make this a fair trade for the Rangers is Stauffer.

What about Barfield? Is that just too much or would he make this deal a good one for texas?

???

Here's texas right now... !+)

Barfield is untouchable especially with Loretta being traded. Also, Texas doesn't need a 2B, they need SP badly.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:32 pm

as an owner of Adrian Gonzalez, would he even be keepable at a buck in SD? and why would Boston be interested in him - platoon 1B?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:50 pm

PTBNL is apparently Billy Killian, SD's 3rd round pick in the 2004 draft. He hit .263, 0 HRs, 14 RBIs in 152 ABs in rookie ball last year.

Wow! Even more terrible for the Rangers. They must know something about Young and/or Eaton that we don't... :-o
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:02 pm

I guess it depends on how you look at it, and what Adrian Gonzalez was worth to real life teams.

For example, if you look at it from the Rangers' perspective. They have been trying to trade Adrian for a while now, with no great deals being offered for over a year. He fits absolutely nowhere in Texas, he would be stuck in AAA or as a bench player. He, in all honesty, is not worth much to Texas. So in a sense, the deal was Young for Eaton (wash, IMO) and Otsuka (great value). Young is a decent pitcher, nothing spectacular but the move to SD will surely help. Eaton has more raw talent and if he can ever put it together will surely be a better pitcher than Young. However, who knows if that will happen. With a gun to my head I would take Young, but Eaton is still intriguing. But, if you throw in Otsuka there is no doubt I would take the Eaton/Otsuka combo over Young.

Sledge is a toss-in, there was no room for him in Texas anyway. I'm glad they chose to keep Wilkerson over him.

But, if you look at it from the perspective that Adrian could have gotten a good SP for him alone if given time, then obviously you do not like this deal. However, given the ridiculous contracts being given out to crappy and mediocre starters like Benson, Washburn, Burnett, etc, then I don't think a light-hitting/contact first baseman would have pulled a legit ML starter in return. I could be wrong, but I just don't think he was very valuable in terms of pitchers.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:23 pm

WOW 8-o 8-o

I Like it ..
I love it ..
I want some more of it ...

We get Chris Young .... of Princeton fame ...
We get Adrian Gonzalez, A former number one .... welcome home Adrian

and Termel Sledge ..... :-b :-b

for Eaton and a MR that the league figured out. :-B

I Like it ..
I love it ..
I want some more of it ...

Kevin ... Sorry about all of those horrible things I said about you ... The Voodoo doll with all of the needles in the nuts ... Gone!
The curse I put on you after last season .. lifted ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers