Another 'F***'N' win taken from PEDRO... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another 'F***'N' win taken from PEDRO...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:46 pm

Alot of your answer is going to depend on how you inerpret the question. If it is for a single at bat, perhaps you could throw Pedro in there.

If I were a player, and I saw Pedro's name as the SP, I'd figure I'll get maybe 2-3 at bats against Pedro before they pull him and hand it over to the bullpen. Try to work his pitch count up and hope he goes away.

If I saw a guy like Johnson a couple years ago, I'd think Oh damn! I might have to face this guy 4 times! a 6-10 monster with a nasty fastball. A guy like Gibson, if I was lucky enough to hit a HR off of, I'd be even more more scared to face him the next time I got up to bat. I'd put both of them ahead of Pedro.

If Pedro can overcome his injury history and string together a few healthy seasons, roll up a few more CGSO's a season in that span, and put the whiner label behind him, sure he could be considered one of the most dominant ever. Right now, I think his injury history lowers his intimidation level, and he is likely viewed by many players as a guy you can rattle emotionally.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sevillano » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:52 pm

Wouldn't the argument that hitters aren't as intimidated when they face him make Pedro's numbers even more impressive?

Apparently noone told Pedro that a high level of intimidation is necessary to be absolutely dominant.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:58 pm

Good point, sev...and here's another point to indicate how little "intimidation" means. Greg Maddux never frightened anyone. But he's going to win 300 games and arguably has been the game's best pitcher over the last 15 years.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Why the bitching???

Postby stevejeltz215 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:10 am

I know the Sox pen eats man a$$, but how about credit where credit is due? Jim Thome hit 2, game tying, 2 out 2 strike home runs, one in extra innings! I'm 24 and that might have been the single ballsiest performance I have ever seen in my life! Ridiculous. And lest sox fans forget that it was the Phillies "closer" Jose Mesa who blew the game and got them down 2 runs to begin with.

Come on, give the Phils some luv...
stevejeltz215

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Siege1386 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:11 am

Greg Maddux may have not been an intimidator, but hitters feared him later in his career.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers