Baseball Prospectus vs. R Shandler's Forecaster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Prospectus vs. R Shandler's Forecaster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Prospectus vs. R Shandler's Forecaster

Postby acapulco » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster vs. Baseball Prospectus. I'm thinking of buying 1 or both of them when they come out. If you're familiar with them, how do they compare in terms of:

Usefulness for the draft and for the season's transactions. (The projections, if any, don't HAVE to be 100% accurate--nobody's seem to be)

Readability. Interesting? Humorous? Enjoyable? Do you ever refer back to it?

Thanks.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:36 pm

I've used both. I like Shandler's a lot. But I think I'm going to pick up Prospectus this year just to get a different POV.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:47 pm

I'm also lookin to buy one of these when they come out in Feb, wondering what opinions people have.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nikku88 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:05 pm

BP is much more entertaining. They probably have better stats as well.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:07 pm

I've never paid attention to Shandler's stuff, but read BP regularly. It's important to keep in mind that BP foecasts are NOT made for fantasy purposes. So, it's difficult to use them because their method underestimates counting stats. But, I think they are very good for rate stats like batting average and give a nice translation of minor leaguer stats into majr league equivalents. And they are pretty funny with their comments.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:27 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I've never paid attention to Shandler's stuff, but read BP regularly. It's important to keep in mind that BP foecasts are NOT made for fantasy purposes. So, it's difficult to use them because their method underestimates counting stats. But, I think they are very good for rate stats like batting average and give a nice translation of minor leaguer stats into majr league equivalents. And they are pretty funny with their comments.

So is BF better for fantasy?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:56 pm

Why not get both for $29? BP isn't fantasy based. BF is. Both have interesting stuff.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:08 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I've never paid attention to Shandler's stuff, but read BP regularly. It's important to keep in mind that BP foecasts are NOT made for fantasy purposes. So, it's difficult to use them because their method underestimates counting stats. But, I think they are very good for rate stats like batting average and give a nice translation of minor leaguer stats into majr league equivalents. And they are pretty funny with their comments.

So is BF better for fantasy?

If you are just interested in numbers, yes, particularly the counting stats. Personally, I think BP does a better job forecasting how teams and prospects will do, and prefer to supplement BP with finding more accurate counting stat forecasts elsewhere.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RynMan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:33 pm

I like BP.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acapulco » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:39 pm

In the old days Bill James used to put out an annual that I think he published himself. It wasn't useful for fantasy baseball--don't know if it existed yet--but it was entertaining, informative, thought provocative, and sometimes funny as all get out. Then he lost interest and moved on to other things.

There are more cheat sheats out there all the time but as for thinking about baseball players or teams...to lay some of the groundwork so I can do my own cheat sheet...what is there?
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers