Devil Rays are ridiculous - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Devil Rays are ridiculous

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Devil Rays are ridiculous

Postby daullaz » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:46 pm

Dan Pompei of The Sporting News wrote:The Tigers tried to acquire Devil Rays closer RHP Danys Baez before signing free-agent RHP Todd Jones. The Rays asked for a top prospect--RHP Joel Zumaya or CF Curtis Granderson--and a pitching prospect. No deal. . . .

Link

O.K., so the D-Rays fleece the Mets out of Scott Kazmir, and now they won't do a deal unless they're fleecing someone else. Zumaya/Granderson AND a pitching prospect for a guy in Baez that they've been shopping for two years? Why would GMs even bother calling the Rays front office anymore?

If I was a ML GM, this would be the only type of call I'd make to the Rays:

"Hey, it's Omar over in New York. Yeah, you probably heard we're trying to trade Kaz Matsui and Kris Benson. I was thinking maybe we could make a deal."

"O.K., Omar, what did you have in mind?"

"Well, both are pretty good players, so I was thinking Matsui and Benson for Aubrey Huff, Danys Baez, B.J. Upton, Jorge Cantu, and Delmon Young."

(click)

Maybe, just maybe, they would get the point.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Why you blaming TB? They ask for the world and get told to take a leap. They are not obligated to make deals. They are not obligated to make deals that will benefit the other team equally or more so.

In this era where guys are sold for pennies on the dollar, I think TB is refreshing in that regard. They may overdo it at times, but Baez will have value right up to the trade deadline. They have absolutely no reason to deal him on the cheap.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:32 pm

I think TB would be getting huge value out of trading Baez for Zumaya straight up, no one else thrown in. Why would TB want Granderson...antoher outfielder that TB doesnt need. TB has been terrible about player values. I mean, you dont want to start low, I understand. But Zumaya and another pitching prospect for Danys Baez? THe old addage is to buy low and sell hi, but its impossible to sell anywhere near this hi for an average closer.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Simply because they seem to be tryig to add trading chips. I do not agree with the way they do things myself as they seem to be obsessed at times with prospects and cutting budget and then do something contrary for the short term and never seem to be serious about putting together a winner. Like when they futzed with Nomo and Tino and others.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:02 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Why you blaming TB? They ask for the world and get told to take a leap. They are not obligated to make deals. They are not obligated to make deals that will benefit the other team equally or more so.

In this era where guys are sold for pennies on the dollar, I think TB is refreshing in that regard. They may overdo it at times, but Baez will have value right up to the trade deadline. They have absolutely no reason to deal him on the cheap.

I don't think they are obligated to make even trades, but they might think about making offers that sounds at least a little reasonable.

My point is that they run the risk of alienating themselves when it does come time for a trade, since they ask for a king's ransom in every deal.

If I was running the Tigers organization and the Rays came to me and said they wouldn't move Baez unless they get back one of my top prospects AND another pitching prospect, I wouldn't bother calling their front office anymore.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:05 pm

daullaz wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Why you blaming TB? They ask for the world and get told to take a leap. They are not obligated to make deals. They are not obligated to make deals that will benefit the other team equally or more so.

I don't think they are obligated to make even trades, but they might think about making offers that sounds at least a little reasonable.

My point is that they run the risk of alienating themselves when it does come time for a trade, since they ask for a king's ransom in every deal.

If I was running the Tigers organization and the Rays came to me and said they wouldn't move Baez unless they get back one of my top prospects AND another pitching prospect, I wouldn't bother calling their front office anymore.

I agree...just think about how this type of dealing would affect you in a fantasy league. If you made a good offer and they come back with something laughable...over, and over, and over...do you have any desire to try and make a trade with that team? Its about the same, except in a much more real fashion.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:48 pm

This is true, but if the need is there, GMs will always call. Too much is at stake. For example, if Clueless Brian thought he needed a Baez in July to win he would at least call TB even if he was ticked at them from prior behavoir. He would have to or he would not be doing his job.

Of course if TB continues to ask for the world to the poit where they get stuck with a guy in his walk year after the deadline, they will only screw themselves in the end. Sooner or later reality will have to set in. But for the moment, they have no reason to play nice and can play hard ball with teams wanting Baez or Huff and hope someone gets desperate enough.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:53 pm

I think I would have taken Zumaya for Baez straight up if I was the Drays management, but I have been dissappointed in the Drays trade requests as well, but if any time was the right time to play hard ball in a trade of Baez, then definitely now before the season is the right time. I do believe that Baez will be traded before the trade deadline for a pretty fair price, but you never know when a top teams closer goes down in early April and then the Drays maybe able to pull a steal of a deal off. Heck the Braves till do not have closer on their team, so they might get desperate and give the Drays more then Baezs worth in return.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jenkins » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:00 pm

Can someone explain to me why in the world the D-Rays arent trying to get SP? We trade Brazelton only lessening our pitching depth. We have more offense than we can ever play. Can we not trade Huff and Baez for a good SP?
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:18 pm

Jenkins wrote:Can someone explain to me why in the world the D-Rays arent trying to get SP? We trade Brazelton only lessening our pitching depth. We have more offense than we can ever play. Can we not trade Huff and Baez for a good SP?
They want SP because what that have sucks. Outside of Kazmir who do they have. Brazelton has been a bust and it's better to flip him for something useful than let him waste on their team. They Rays could really use as much pitching talent as they can get.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers