Da Vinci Code Trailer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Da Vinci Code Trailer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:43 am

Yoda wrote:Never read DVC but read Angels and Demons. It was entertaining but I figured out who the murderer was half way through the book. I'm sure if DVC does well in the box office, they'll find a way to make Angels and Demons into a movie.

I think Caleb Carr's Alienist was a much better book. I don't think they are making that one a movie tho.

I've never heard of Alienist, is it a similar type book to DVC?
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:56 am

Coppermine wrote:But JT, it is a novel and in now way says that anything in the book is anything other than fiction.

Have you read the book!?! The very first page is titled, "The following are all FACTS." Granted, what he says there is true, but what he fills in the blanks with is not truth, and a lot of people have problems drawing the distinction since his very first page makes such a strong assertion.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:29 am

JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:But JT, it is a novel and in now way says that anything in the book is anything other than fiction.

Have you read the book!?! The very first page is titled, "The following are all FACTS." Granted, what he says there is true, but what he fills in the blanks with is not truth, and a lot of people have problems drawing the distinction since his very first page makes such a strong assertion.

Whose fault is that? I really don't think we need to change all kinds of things in our society just because of the overwhelming incompetence of the general public.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:54 pm

Coppermine wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Whose fault is that? I really don't think we need to change all kinds of things in our society just because of the overwhelming incompetence of the general public.

It is both sides' fault; theirs for being ignorant, and his for taking advantage of them. And make no mistake about it, he knew what he was doing when he wrote that book. He was making controversial enterainment that he could profit off of.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:34 pm

JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
JTWood wrote:

It is both sides' fault; theirs for being ignorant, and his for taking advantage of them. And make no mistake about it, he knew what he was doing when he wrote that book. He was making controversial enterainment that he could profit off of.

1. No one's at "fault"
2. Who cares if he "knew?"
3. No one's getting hurt
4. It's a novel
5. He presents some facts that are slightly inconsistent with traditional Catholic teachings... how can anyone be surprised by that? What if, by some chance, some of it was true... don't you think people deserve to know? Or is ignorance truly better when it comes to religion?

The church, catholic or otherwise, has changed their positions on a lot of things over the years and almost always for the better. People are always resistant to that change too because it's threatening to their beliefs.

Anyway, i think the novel is refreshing and interesting, but nothing I'd call sacred text. If people are getting up in arms over it, the only person they can blame is themselves. Dan Brown's an author and he writes to make money... not provide some profound political or social statement. How can anyone hold him responsible for anything other than doing his job? The story was brilliant, he deserves every dollar he gets and he's a refreshing alternative to the myriad of Stephen King, Michael Crichton and John Grisham books/movies that come out every other year.

Controversy sells.... it's just part of capitalism.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:38 pm

Of course. He has the right to write the story, and I have the right to think it was despicable.

God bless America!

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:05 pm

JTWood wrote:Of course. He has the right to write the story, and I have the right to think it was despicable.

God bless America!

;-D

Giddy up to that! ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:03 am

da1chipo wrote:I thought Angels and Demons was better, but I didn't really like Da Vinci Code that much at all. I think that Deception Point is his best.

Agreed! Deception Point was very good
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk