Da Vinci Code Trailer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Da Vinci Code Trailer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
JTWood wrote:I won't see it. I refuse to do anything on purpose that directly benefits this guy.

Not a big fan of alternative religious theory?
hahah

I haven't read it but I saw a special about it on the history channel which was really interesting ;-D

Probably should read the book

You should... I saw a few specials on the history channel and they all basically said the same thing... the Da Vinci Code story, while plausable in its scope, is full of historically inaccurate holes and is simply a work of fiction. People have been travelling all over Europe trying to track the book, but things like the Rose Line are all just a bunch of malarky.

The Priory of Sion is real though and so are the Templars, although whose to say what the Holy Grail really is. I just find it fascinating in an entertainment sense. We all know the REAL story... and that's all about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:15 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
JTWood wrote:I won't see it. I refuse to do anything on purpose that directly benefits this guy.

hahah

I haven't read it but I saw a special about it on the history channel which was really interesting ;-D

Probably should read the book

You should... I saw a few specials on the history channel and they all basically said the same thing... the Da Vinci Code story, while plausable in its scope, is full of historically inaccurate holes and is simply a work of fiction. People have been travelling all over Europe trying to track the book, but things like the Rose Line are all just a bunch of malarky.

The Priory of Sion is real though and so are the Templars, although whose to say what the Holy Grail really is. I just find it fascinating in an entertainment sense. We all know the REAL story... and that's all about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Yea the history channel did a good job of keeping it open ended and seperating truth from fiction.

Flying Speghetti Monster would be pleased ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:

Alternative religious theory is fine. Dan Brown has no interest in alternative philosophies. He's not a philosopher. He's just a talented story-teller looking to profit from pure conjecture that is designed to start a controversy aimed at a large and powerful portion of our society.

In my book, Dan Brown and Michael Moore are from the same mold, and I will never do anything to intentionally fund these lowest forms of life.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:04 pm

JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Alternative religious theory is fine. Dan Brown has no interest in alternative philosophies. He's not a philosopher. He's just a talented story-teller looking to profit from pure conjecture that is designed to start a controversy aimed at a large and powerful portion of our society.

In my book, Dan Brown and Michael Moore are from the same mold, and I will never do anything to intentionally fund these lowest forms of life.

Why is this bad again? What is wrong with him writing a story to make a profit? Isn't that what fictional authors do?

I think it's good to see people like Brown or Moore question things. I don't always agree with them but it's nice to see that there are people who will stand up for what they believe in.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:06 pm

Yoda wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Why is this bad again? What is wrong with him writing a story to make a profit? Isn't that what fictional authors do?

I think it's good to see people like Brown or Moore question things. I don't always agree with them but it's nice to see that there are people who will stand up for what they believe in.

He didn't believe it when he wrote it, and I think that stiring up sh*t just to do it is wrong, but even more so if you profit from it.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:24 pm

JTWood wrote:
Yoda wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

He didn't believe it when he wrote it, and I think that stiring up sh*t just to do it is wrong, but even more so if you profit from it.

You know the nazi's burned books too :-D

I'm just messing with ya. Its your opinion man. I haven't read the books so I don't have one but the idea behind the story is interesting from what I've seen on the history channel
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:32 pm

JTWood wrote:
Yoda wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Believe what again?

If the book sale was any indication, it looks like the movie will reach record breaking numbers.

I haven't read the book nor am I planning to. But I'll definitely go see the movie if it gets good reviews.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:35 am

Yoda wrote:Believe what again?

If you haven't read the book, I won't spoil it for you.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:09 pm

But JT, it is a novel and in now way says that anything in the book is anything other than fiction. If people are too dumb to grasp that, then whose fault is that? On the flip side, Mel Gibson made millions with his Passion movie; how is that not the same, using religion to make money? Dan Brown is a brilliant storyteller and overwhelmingly, his book was successful not only because it was interesting, but simply told things from a different perspective than we're all used to. I find that both interesting and refreshing, but in no way real. It's fiction, plain and simple and when he set out to write the Da Vinci Code, I don't think he was purposely trying to "stir things up" for his personal gain, but rather just write a great story. And it IS a great story.

It's not philosphy or alternative theory, it can't be either because theories are scientific in origin and philosphy is generally based on a school of thought. The only reason people are getting worked up over it is because they're choosing to, but the majority of people are just taking it for what is is... a great novel.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Yoda wrote:Never read DVC but read Angels and Demons. It was entertaining but I figured out who the murderer was half way through the book. I'm sure if DVC does well in the box office, they'll find a way to make Angels and Demons into a movie.

I think Caleb Carr's Alienist was a much better book. I don't think they are making that one a movie tho.

Agreed 100%. The Alienist was phenomenal, and the entire time I was reading it I kept thinking how perfect it would be as a movie, with Anthony Hopkins as Kreisler. The only downside is that as a movie, it probably wouldn't have all the intricacies and plot detail.

Yeah The Alienist is a great book. Didn't Caleb Carr write the screenplay for the original "Exorcist: The Beginning" movie? If The Alienist ever became a movie, hopefully Carr himself will be the one to develop the screenplay for it.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk