Gordon or Madson? Closer in Phillie? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gordon or Madson? Closer in Phillie?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Insanity » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:33 am

If Gordon goes down, then who fills the closer role? According to Stats (from Yahoo): "Gordon, who has been limited by a stiff elbow this spring, is scheduled to pitch in a minor league game Tuesday"

Although he hasn't closed, really ever, would Rhodes be a potential filler or is Madson the guy?

I'm hoping Madson--- only cuase I have him ;-)
Insanity
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:25 pm

It's great that Philly picked Gordon as their closer, and that he's getting "closer money", but none of that really matters when Gordon's arm falls off.

Who's backing up Gordon in Philly would be a better question I guess..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:26 pm

blankman wrote:I don't see why this is a question. Gordon was signed to close, and that's what he'll do.

Until he sucks up the joint and pulls an Arthur Rhodes. I am getting no where near Gordon this year. I have no idea who will have the job in July, but I'm willing to bet it isn't Gordon.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:54 pm

I think Madson will be in this rotation this year unless Hamels and Floyd step up, which could easily happen. Franklin and Lidle suck though. Madson not being in the bullpen weakens Philly though, A LOT! Madson could easily be Philly's future closer after Gordon moves on.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:49 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
blankman wrote:I don't see why this is a question. Gordon was signed to close, and that's what he'll do.

Until he sucks up the joint and pulls an Arthur Rhodes. I am getting no where near Gordon this year. I have no idea who will have the job in July, but I'm willing to bet it isn't Gordon.

Gordon had a very major drop in K/9 and increase in HR/9 last year. Could be a sign of future problems
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:26 pm

I thought it was gordon
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby lefty31mazur » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:40 pm

"Tom Gordon pitched Tuesday and came out pleased by the performance. It's interesting that he worked in a minor-league game -- that's what teams sometimes do if there is a possibility the player will open the year on the disabled list, because the start of the DL stint can be backdated." -Buster Olney
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers