Nomar a Dodger - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar a Dodger

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:40 pm

hell ...
The sale of Dodger blue "Nomar" Jerseys themselves, will probably pay for the contract.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dodger Blue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:47 pm

wrveres wrote:hell ...
The sale of Dodger blue "Nomar" Jerseys themselves, will probably pay for the contract.

I agree and its a jersey I wouldn't mind wearing. I like Nomar a lot. Just not sure this makes the Dodgers a better team.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:05 pm

Maybe. At say $25 a jersey, it would take 320,000 sales at 8 mil, 240,000 at 6 mil. LA better hope the 8 mil happens (based on PA), because if they only pay 6 mil, it means Nomar spent time on dl. Ok, the consensus seems to be the deal is ok. I agree the name will sell tickets/jerseys, and 1 year deals make sense. I guess we will have to wait on his numbers.

WR, do you have a Hoffman jersey? :-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Yoda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:If Nomar comes even close to what you would normally expect him to do, then this is a bargain deal even at 8M which is the most they will need to pay him.

If Nomar comes close to what I'd expect him to do, he'll suit up for between 40 and 80 games. I don't understand how $8M is a bargain for that...

Last two years were a nightmare for Nomar with the string of bad luck.

He's still an excellent hitter and he should shine as long as he stays healthy.

As someone else in another thread, said:

"Ignoring injury risk is sort of like being a train driver and ignoring the oncoming train."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:27 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:If Nomar comes even close to what you would normally expect him to do, then this is a bargain deal even at 8M which is the most they will need to pay him.

If Nomar comes close to what I'd expect him to do, he'll suit up for between 40 and 80 games. I don't understand how $8M is a bargain for that...

Last two years were a nightmare for Nomar with the string of bad luck.

He's still an excellent hitter and he should shine as long as he stays healthy.

As someone else in another thread, said:

"Ignoring injury risk is sort of like being a train driver and ignoring the oncoming train."

Who's ignoring injury risk? Isn't that the reason why he only signed a 1 yr 6M contract?

But he will play a position that is much less demanding physically and he still knows how to swing a bat. 1 year 6M is not bad at all for a marketable and established player like Nomar. I wouldn't bet against him thriving in this situation.

I don't have it in front of me but I'm wililng to bet that there is a lot more guys with significanlty less talent than Nomar at 6M.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:55 pm

HOOTIE wrote:

Maybe. At say $25 a jersey, it would take 320,000 sales at 8 mil, 240,000 at 6 mil. LA better hope the 8 mil happens (based on PA), because if they only pay 6 mil, it means Nomar spent time on dl. Ok, the consensus seems to be the deal is ok. I agree the name will sell tickets/jerseys, and 1 year deals make sense. I guess we will have to wait on his numbers.

If those jersey's sell for less than $120 each, it means Nomar has had a career ending injury in the 1st month if the season.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:48 pm

HOOTIE wrote:

sure if they sold for 25.00 a jersey ...
but they are 125.00 ea :-D

as for Hoffy ... yes I do ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby converge241 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:50 pm

rlee wrote:As I read through the responses in this thread, I was surprised that nobody brought up this scenario. When the Dodgers signed Furcal, I read that their plan was to insert Izturis at 2B upon his June return and then shift Kent to 1B.

What does Nomar's signing do to this plan? Does Nomar shift to LF, or do the Dodgers have plans to trade Kent? Makes you wonder.
:-? :-?

they plan to use cesar as util
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:27 pm

Izturis is out with injury until mid-season and terrible offensive player anyway. He is really best-suited for a utility infielder role.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rlee » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:44 am

stumpak wrote:Izturis is out with injury until mid-season and terrible offensive player anyway. He is really best-suited for a utility infielder role.
:

It must be nice to have so much money to throw around. So Izturis is now a $3+ million utility player ??? :-o :-o
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers