Nomar a Dodger - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar a Dodger

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:58 pm

1. Alot of money to pay - however I think the Dodgers don't really care, they "need to show they are serious about winning". Haha.

2. If he plays first base - terrible. There are cheaper options with better production. Nomar isn't the hitter he used to be.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dodger Blue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:05 am

I not thrilled with any of the Dodger movies this year but its better than getting Drew. Nomar is coming home ok but didn't Kent come "home" last year and that worked out. I like Kent alot he wants to win and pushes people whats wrong with that? Gibson was an a$$hole too but we all loved him. But LA needed outfield help more.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:40 am

Dodger Blue wrote:I not thrilled with any of the Dodger movies this year but its better than getting Drew.

Why so down on Drew? He's easily LA best hitter. Nomar hasn't touched Drews ops or rc/27 since 2000. Drew had a fluke injury. Make you a little bet. Drew will bury Nomar in ops and runs created.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:18 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Dodger Blue wrote:I not thrilled with any of the Dodger movies this year but its better than getting Drew.

Why so down on Drew? He's easily LA best hitter. Nomar hasn't touched Drews ops or rc/27 since 2000. Drew had a fluke injury. Make you a little bet. Drew will bury Nomar in ops and runs created.

But HOOTIE, he said he wasn't thrilled with any of the Dodgers' MOVIES.....and to tell you the truth, neither am I. They really lacked direction and a solid storyline.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dodger Blue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:42 am

HOOTIE wrote:

Drew is 11 freaking Million and he is hurt alot. Yes he has a ton of potential but he has always had a ton of potential. I wouldn't say he was great last year even when he was playing. Certainly not worth 11 mil. But who is worth their money really, truly every few hitters. I ask you the same question why so down on Nomar? Certainly this is a PR move for LA. He is a very popular player an old school type guy. I hate that we have 3 freaking short stops and one NOT named Tejada. Hopefully Nomar can play left field. I think Saenz should play more but thats just me.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:12 am

I don't understand why this is such a terrible signing considering it is only a one year deal. If Nomar comes even close to what you would normally expect him to do, then this is a bargain deal even at 8M which is the most they will need to pay him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:36 am

Yoda wrote:If Nomar comes even close to what you would normally expect him to do, then this is a bargain deal even at 8M which is the most they will need to pay him.

If Nomar comes close to what I'd expect him to do, he'll suit up for between 40 and 80 games. I don't understand how $8M is a bargain for that...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:03 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:If Nomar comes even close to what you would normally expect him to do, then this is a bargain deal even at 8M which is the most they will need to pay him.

If Nomar comes close to what I'd expect him to do, he'll suit up for between 40 and 80 games. I don't understand how $8M is a bargain for that...

Last two years were a nightmare for Nomar with the string of bad luck.

He's still an excellent hitter and he should shine as long as he stays healthy.

Not like he is signed for 4, 5 years. For 1 season, this is not a bad gamble.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stumpak » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:25 pm

Hootie, you are looking only at the annual dollar value of the contract and not considering the immense value derived from the truncated term of the contract. $8M/year for Nomar as part a multi-year deal is a lot, but in a one-year it is not bad at all since you do not have the huge downside risk of the latter years of the contract.

The Dodgers are paying Nomar a premium that shifts the risk of his declinign performance from the team to the individual. This is a very smart move that gives you greater certaintly of your return on investment and preserve greater flexibility moving forward.

People can berate the Dodgers to they are blue in the face but the fact is that they are avoiding death spiral that most teams have gotten themselves into by being on the hook to give huge paydays to declining mediocrities like Mussina, Belle, Thomas, Piazza, Sosa--the list goes on and on and will probably include the names Giles and Damon by 2010.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:32 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
So we sign people to put fans in seats? I thought winning did that?

Actually yes you do sign certain players in hopes of filling some seats. Nomar's a local and he is a very popular player in MLB.

Winning doesn't always put fans in seats. See Oakland A's.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers