Attention all Clement owners! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Attention all Clement owners!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:57 pm

Two weeks ago, i got Percival for him. But i still have him on two teams. One team hes on bench, but my other team he has to start every week, i have 7 guys on the dl on that team. Clement has talent, hes really puzzling. A guy with his stuff should be better.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:58 pm

The word on him is that his stuff is TOO good. There's so much movement on his pitches that he sometimes has trouble handling them. So, he ends up taking a little off, and catches too much of the plate.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby tjhksig » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:02 pm

Have him, thank god I didn't start him; considering dropping him, but there's not much on the WW, so I guess I'll wait him out.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby America4Americans » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:55 pm

i dunno if i'd drop clement. he still strikes guys out a ton, and is a lot better than what you'll get on the waiver wire, unless of course people have been in a closet and willis is remaining.
America4Americans
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ramble2 » Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:45 pm

Well, Willis is already on my team. I still haven't decided whether to drop Clement or to let him languish on my bench until he starts pitching. Valverde is available, and it'd be nice to get a few more saves (and he's got 13 Ks in 8 IP). If all Clement is going to get me are strikeouts, I'm not sure it's worth killing my ERA and WHIP keeping him.

It might be worth dropping Clement just to save the frustration. I've had him sitting on my bench waiting for a good stretch for a while. His last three starts were good, check out the stats:

6/5 TAM 7 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 1 ER, 7 K, W (1.29 ERA, 1.29 WHIP)
6/11 BAL 6 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 2 ER, 6 K, W (3.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP)
6/16 CIN 6 IP, 9 H, 1 BB, 3 ER, 9 K, W (4.50 ERA, 1.67 WHIP)

Admittedly, these aren't the toughest opponents, but it's not like the Whitesox are anything special. I figure he's back to where I had him pegged: a 3.5-4 ERA guy with a decent whip and 200 K potential. He's pitching at home, he's putting together a string of nice starts, let's give him a shot:

3.1 IP, 11 H, 3 BB, 7 ER, 3 K, L

So when is it safe to start this guy? After he puts together a month of nice starts? I'm far enough in first place that I could afford to stash him on my bench, but is it worth it? Valverde could be in there grabbing cheap saves for that month. Who's going to pick up Clement now? He'll probably still be on the waiver wire a month from now.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Wind Dancer » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:05 pm

:-C

Well...if he's labeled "Inconsistent"....that must mean that it will be safe to start him on Friday when he goes against the Sox again.... ...right????

I picked him up when he won two of his three in a row and he is my fifth till RJ gets back and fortunately I had Ryan Franklin filling in this week...maybe Franklin will NOW get another start :-[
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...
Anytime you have a 50-50 pick between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong!
Wind Dancer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rufus102 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:42 pm

I dropped him and picked up Pettite.
rufus102
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:12 pm

Pettite???? He's been even worse!!!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:09 am

I grabbed him after his owner dumped him, and got a couple nice W's against some bad teams. Because he did well, I threw him in there against the Sox.

It's not the 7 runs that pissed me off. It was the 19 hits and 12 walks he gave up (well, close enough).

a WHIP of 4 in that game?? My god. Part of the reason I thought he could recover was his WHIP wasn't horrible. Now it is. Add in the 11 runs that got wiped out in that wind/rain storm earlier in the year, and I'm just not going to risk the rest of my staff's hard work with that kind of BS he is throwing out there.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers