2nd base? Right Field? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

2nd base? Right Field?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2nd base? Right Field?

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:05 pm

what do you guys think is gonna happen with the cubs last 2 remaining question marks, 2nd base and right field?

Will they end up keeping Todd Walker for this year? i think he would be a perfect #2 hitter behind juan pierre and in front of Lee and Ramirez. Then again, Texas has been interested in Todd Walker as long as the Cubs have had him, and they just lost Soriano so im thinking maybe a Todd Walker/Jerome Williams or Todd Walker/prospect(s) for Kevin Mench deal could be in the works? I also wouldnt mind seeing them trade for Jose Vidro after they trade off Walker..Vidro was an all star back when he was healthy, and i think can still knock in 100 runs with 20+ homeruns. However, thats a longshot..

Regarding right field, I would like to see the Cubs get a guy like Mench without having to include Corey Patterson in the deal..I know Corey Patterson had a tough year, but he is a 5 tool player which are hard to come by now-a-day and has the potential to be Bobby Abreu like..I wouldnt mind seeing the Cubs enter the season with Patterson as a 4th outfielder on the bench, incase Matt Murton doesn't play as well as expected or whatever it may be..Patterson really frustrated me last season but i still like his potential and wouldn't like to see the cubs give him away for cheap. If patterson steps up like he did 2 years ago, he would fit nicely as the cubs #6 hitter if he took over Murton's job or ended up playing RF for the cubs sometime..

1. pierre
2. walker
3. lee
4. ramirez
5. mench? jacque?
6. patterson
7. barrett
8. cedeno

Although opening day im sure it will be Barrett batting 6th and Murton 7th
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ThatDude » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:16 pm

if im making up lineups based solely on what is in house right now, it looks like this

Pierre - CF
Murton - LF
Lee - 1B
Aramis - 3B
Walker - 2B
Barrett - C
Cedeno - SS
Patterson/Mabry RF platoon

i dont want to see Vidro, Mench or Jacque added to the Cubs. none of them is a significant enough upgrade to be worth the price they would command

it seems right now that the prices for real upgrades (Huff, Wilkerson, etc) are too high, hence Hendrys comments about being content with playing Corey in RF. showing desparation is the quickest way to get gouged on the price. maybe once the season starts and TB and WASH fall quickly into the basement of their divisions, their asking price will come down
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dcskater619 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:27 am

ThatDude wrote:if im making up lineups based solely on what is in house right now, it looks like this

Pierre - CF
Murton - LF
Lee - 1B
Aramis - 3B
Walker - 2B
Barrett - C
Cedeno - SS
Patterson/Mabry RF platoon

i dont want to see Vidro, Mench or Jacque added to the Cubs. none of them is a significant enough upgrade to be worth the price they would command

it seems right now that the prices for real upgrades (Huff, Wilkerson, etc) are too high, hence Hendrys comments about being content with playing Corey in RF. showing desparation is the quickest way to get gouged on the price. maybe once the season starts and TB and WASH fall quickly into the basement of their divisions, their asking price will come down

wow, mench is gonna be such a good player..i would definitely see him as a significant addition
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThatDude » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Mench looks like nothing more than a young Burnitz to me. which is better than the real Burnitz and Jacque Jones, but not enough to really get me interested. if we are going to go after a Ranger OF, id much rather it be Wilkerson
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dcskater619 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:18 pm

ThatDude wrote:Mench looks like nothing more than a young Burnitz to me. which is better than the real Burnitz and Jacque Jones, but not enough to really get me interested. if we are going to go after a Ranger OF, id much rather it be Wilkerson

i wouldnt like wilkerson at all, especially after watching corey patterson strike out so many times...wilkerson doesnt have much power and he strikes out more then anyone in baseball besides adam dunn. the cubs need some power to go along with lee and ramirez..mench will be a 30 home run 90+ rbi guy this year
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:50 pm

dcskater619 wrote:
ThatDude wrote:Mench looks like nothing more than a young Burnitz to me. which is better than the real Burnitz and Jacque Jones, but not enough to really get me interested. if we are going to go after a Ranger OF, id much rather it be Wilkerson

i wouldnt like wilkerson at all, especially after watching corey patterson strike out so many times...wilkerson doesnt have much power and he strikes out more then anyone in baseball besides adam dunn. the cubs need some power to go along with lee and ramirez..mench will be a 30 home run 90+ rbi guy this year

wilkerson definitely has 30HR power at wrigley. his numbers were down last year b/c of his home park. he's also a very good OBP guy, whiich is why he has hit leadoff so often even though he lacks great speed. he's hardly like corey patterson and would be a very good addition to the cubs for his likely price when you consider the other options available.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ThatDude » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:00 pm

Wilkerson would be an good #4 hitter sandwiched between Lee and Aramis. lefty bat, 25-30 HR, 35-40 Doubles, and an OBP in the .340-.370 range

id still prefer Dunn over Wilkerson, but i dont see any chance of that happening
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Chicago Cubs