Hard Drive in the Freezer Trick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hard Drive in the Freezer Trick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hard Drive in the Freezer Trick

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:56 pm

At work, one of our user's hard drive crapped out and I can't even get any of the data off it by hooking it into my PC. The drive is hosed and I can't read it at all.

The drive is spinning when I fire it up, so the heads aren't stuck. The thing is dead either way, and a replacement is on the way, but I told the user I'd do what I could to save some of the data. I think i'm going to freeze it.

Anyone try this?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm

Is it clicking? The freeze trick only works when the heads are expanded.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:Is it clicking? The freeze trick only works when the heads are expanded.

It's not clicking, but I've read that it doesn't have to be for the freeze trick to work... of course, what the hell do they know. Either way I'm going to try it just because I have nothing to lose, but I'm not holding my breath either.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:42 pm

Hmm. Not positive but I would think so. I've never tried the freezer trick myself but I've had co-workers tell me of their success as well as reading about it on blogs and such. Anyway freezing works sometimes because failure is often cause by expanded read/write heads. Freezing them contract the heads back into shape. If your heads are swelled you'll normally get a clicking sound. Good luck with it. ;-D

If that doesn't work and you're feeling adventurous you could buy a cheap drive and try exchanging the platter. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:51 pm

I had an external drive crap out on me out of nowhere a few months ago. I had only had it for a year or two and I had a lot of stuff on it so I was pretty mad.

I think I may try this freezer thing. Can't hurt since the drive's just been sitting on my shelf. How long do you freeze it for?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:56 pm

Amazinz wrote:Is it clicking? The freeze trick only works when the heads are expanded.
That is the only time I've heard of it working. If you try it make sure to wrap the machine so no moisture gets in.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:02 am

nsulham wrote:I had an external drive crap out on me out of nowhere a few months ago. I had only had it for a year or two and I had a lot of stuff on it so I was pretty mad.

I think I may try this freezer thing. Can't hurt since the drive's just been sitting on my shelf. How long do you freeze it for?

Put in a ziplock bag and free it for 30 minutes. Get everything you want off of it immediately since it's only temporary. Although some people say their drive has lasted for a year afterward. Not really sure.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:25 am

I've read about success stories from people who have frozen from 30 minutes to overnight...
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:10 am

HeHe...you guy's realize there is a real dirty joke about freezing your head.... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:44 am

Lol. Well if I ever get an expanded head maybe freezing it will save me a trip to the doctor... X-I
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk