Thoughts on stadium... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Kansas City Royals

Thoughts on stadium...

Moderators: joshparrish, prodpaul, Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on stadium...

Postby djacks » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:12 pm

I'm curious to hear from others about their thougths on all the talk about a possible change of venue for the Royals. I don't know if any of you catch KC sports talk radio but I hear a lot of talk about building a new ballpark out near the Kansas Speedway. I know these sports talk guys like to bring up crazy topics but I think this one has some potential several years down the road.

Any thougths on this subject?
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:10 pm

I AM NOT GOING THAT FAR NORTH FOR A ROYALS GAME :-t

I like Kauffman now(better than Olympic Stadium I can tell you that :-D )

either Downtown or don't move
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby djacks » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:06 pm

I'm with you...I'd rather see it downtown also.

If your in OP, then its not any further for you to the Speedway than it is to the K is it?
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:08 pm

djacks wrote:I'm with you...I'd rather see it downtown also.

If your in OP, then its not any further for you to the Speedway than it is to the K is it?

right, but It makes more sense to have a downtown stadium.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kev921 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:14 am

It would be like the band aid they put on Kemper Arena. Save that money and build it new downtown. It seems like more of a waste of money to put all of that money into Kauffman when for a small percentage more to build something more benefitial for the city, county or metro area than just for the Royals.

The only talk I have heard of building out by the KS Speedway would have been for the Chiefs.
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:35 pm

kev921 wrote:It would be like the band aid they put on Kemper Arena. Save that money and build it new downtown. It seems like more of a waste of money to put all of that money into Kauffman when for a small percentage more to build something more benefitial for the city, county or metro area than just for the Royals.

The only talk I have heard of building out by the KS Speedway would have been for the Chiefs.

if you gonna move the team to KS, move it to OP :-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kev921 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:47 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
kev921 wrote:It would be like the band aid they put on Kemper Arena. Save that money and build it new downtown. It seems like more of a waste of money to put all of that money into Kauffman when for a small percentage more to build something more benefitial for the city, county or metro area than just for the Royals.

No way! Make it Olathe ;-D
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:26 pm

kev921 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

No way! Make it Olathe ;-D

It's alright with me, I am in the southern end of OP anyway :-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:59 am

A downtown stadium sounds nice and all, but I would much rather them spend the money to overhaul the Complex. Go back to the original plan and add shops/resturants/entertainment venues around the outskirts of the parking lot. Put in a Chiefs/Royals Hall of Fame and Visitors Center out there and keep the lot open all the time.

Dumping 30,000 cars into downtown would be a traffic nightmare, especially if you run an Arena Football game, a concert or another event at the Sprint Center on the same day.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kev921 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Tavish wrote:A downtown stadium sounds nice and all, but I would much rather them spend the money to overhaul the Complex. Go back to the original plan and add shops/resturants/entertainment venues around the outskirts of the parking lot. Put in a Chiefs/Royals Hall of Fame and Visitors Center out there and keep the lot open all the time.

Dumping 30,000 cars into downtown would be a traffic nightmare, especially if you run an Arena Football game, a concert or another event at the Sprint Center on the same day.

The Truman Sports complex has been there for over 30 years with relatively NO development. Downtown is currently under that kind of entertainment building boom and KC is not big enough for another entertainment district (Plaza, Westport & soon to be downtown). I live on the south western edge of the KC metro, it's too far to drive for shops/resturants/entertainment venues. To spend that kind of money, you need to build something that IS going to draw people for more than just the days of the games.

I work downtown and don't think (that if built downtown) will be a nightmare (although it won't be easy). Say capacity for a downtwon baseball stadium is 40,000, I doubt if there many times that a Royals game would get 20,000 cars.

Besides, we refurbish the stadiums now and in 5 to 10 years we'll be talking again about building a new stadium!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Kansas City Royals