Blasphemy! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Blasphemy!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blasphemy!

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:10 pm

ESPN.com wrote:Here's an example of how the GM business is not conducted, from a reader we're just conjecturing could be a Yankees fan (possibly):

Yankees send Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Jorge Posada, third-base prospect Eric Duncan and dollar bills to Cardinals for Chris Carpenter, Albert Pujols, Jim Edmonds, Yadier Molina and Jason Isringhausen.

When we dangled that goofy brainstorm in front of our panel of trained professionals, the laugh track sounded like the Seinfeld episode when George Costanza was dragging the World Series trophy from the back of his car in an attempt to get fired by the Yankees.

"I think the Yankees might make that deal," one executive said, with a chuckle, "if the Cardinals would just put [Scott] Rolen in it."

"Couldn't the Yankees get a couple of pitchers thrown in, too?" said one laughing AL official.

Sure. Why stop there? Let's also have the Yankees trade Mike Vento and Felix Escalona for Mark Mulder, David Eckstein, Rolen, Stan Musial and the Clydesdales.

Hoo boy. You folks need to behave, or we're never going to do another one of these columns again for the rest of our career. Understood? Fine. Let's move on.

The Clydesdales!?! I would never trade the Clydesdales, not even for A-Rod.

:-b

Actually, this is the blasphemy (same article):

"I would like to see JOHAN SANTANA TRADED TO THE CARDINALS FOR ALBERT PUJOLS. I think Pujols is the most overrated player in the history of baseball. I live in St. Louis and I watch Pujols choke more in clutch situations than any other player on the team. I want the Cardinals to get rid of his salary and start to play some other bum in his position! What are the chances of this trade going through???"

:-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Blasphemy!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:22 am

Hahaha, that is hilarious. :-D

JTWood wrote:
"I would like to see JOHAN SANTANA TRADED TO THE CARDINALS FOR ALBERT PUJOLS. I think Pujols is the most overrated player in the history of baseball. I live in St. Louis and I watch Pujols choke more in clutch situations than any other player on the team. I want the Cardinals to get rid of his salary and start to play some other bum in his position! What are the chances of this trade going through???"

Yeah, he must stop watching when postseason starts. :-? Either that or he missed all of last years playoffs, this years playoffs, and a HR off a certain RP that still hasn't come down yet. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Blasphemy!

Postby lostraven » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:56 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Either that or he missed all of last years playoffs, this years playoffs, and a HR off a certain RP that still hasn't come down yet. :-?

Hah! I loved the commentary the next day or two about how
Lidge's teammates got a good laugh out of a practical joke
on the plane to St Louis. I don't remember who went to the
pilot but someone did, advising the pilot to call up on the com'
stating that they just saw the ball Albert Pujols hit off Lidge.

Additionally, the idea of "clutch" itself is questionable at best.
There may be those few who are unphased by pressure in
a tight situation. If that's what one means by clutch, so be it.
If clutch means making an offensive play more often than
not in tight situations, then I differ in opinion.

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

Return to St. Louis Cardinals