AFI Announces Best Films of 2005 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

AFI Announces Best Films of 2005

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AFI Announces Best Films of 2005

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:54 pm

And they are, followed by my opinion:

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Gay cowboys; probably the only one I'll skip. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

CAPOTE - In the queue

CRASH - Saw it; loved it

THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN - In the queue

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK - In the queue

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE - In the queue

KING KONG - Will definitely see in the theater

MUNICH - More Speilberg ass kissing

THE SQUID AND THE WHALE - I liked him better in Dumb and Dumber

SYRIANA - In the queue
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:57 pm

THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN

;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:05 pm

I like my cowboys straight and shooting people, not making out with each other. :-P Although I can imagine the fun Jon Stewart will have with that title. Backside Mountain? ;-7

The only flick I've seen on that list is Good Night and Good Luck, which was tremendous, but the rest I plan on seeing sooner or later, except for Squid and the Whale, which I've never heard of. Capote looked GREAT, as a former journalist it definitely appealed to me.

Edit: and where is Batman Begins? booooo
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:09 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN

;-D

Yeah, great pick on their part even though I haven't seen it... basically because every other film is kind of art house, and the 40 year old virgin is a comedy... I can't wait until it arrives, it's listed as "short wait."
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:05 pm

Haven't seen a lot of those movies. 40 Year Old Virgin and Crash were really good. Haven't seen History of Violence, waiting till it gets on DVD.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Wedding Crashers is a lot better than 40 Year Old Virgin. It was still good, but doesn't hold Wedding Crashers jock, which IMO is even with some of the all time classics.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:19 pm

WharfRat wrote:I like my cowboys straight and shooting people, not making out with each other. :-P Although I can imagine the fun Jon Stewart will have with that title. Backside Mountain? ;-7

The only flick I've seen on that list is Good Night and Good Luck, which was tremendous, but the rest I plan on seeing sooner or later, except for Squid and the Whale, which I've never heard of. Capote looked GREAT, as a former journalist it definitely appealed to me.

Edit: and where is Batman Begins? booooo

How could Donnie Darko do this!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Brokeback Mountain - A movie I wanted to dislike due to the context and subject matter but a truly great film even though it made me extremely uncomfortable at times. Wouldn't be surprised to see an Oscar nod for this one.

Crash - Didn't like this one too much. It had some great performances (Bullock blew me a way) but wasn't much of a "movie" and was extremely contrived. I feel like it gets overrated solely due to the subject matter.

40-YOV - Still laughing. This is already a comedy classic to me.

History of Violence - Awesome. On of the few movies I saw this year that lived up to the hype. Cronenberg at his best IMHO.

Haen't seen the rest. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Phatferd wrote:Wedding Crashers is a lot better than 40 Year Old Virgin. It was still good, but doesn't hold Wedding Crashers jock, which IMO is even with some of the all time classics.

This I've heard from a lot of people, but I generally don't like taking people's words for it. I've heard great things about both movies thoug from various sources. In any case, I plan on seeing Wedding Crashers and 40 Year Old Virgin... until then, i shall consult THE TOMATOMETER!:
(And bear in mind, anything over 60% is pretty impressive for any comedy)

Wedding Crashers: 74%

The 40-Year-Old Virgin: 84%

OK, so many 40 Year Old Virgin is more "critic friendly" which really doesn't say anything about the enjoyment I'll get out of the movie. In any case, ...Virgin seems a little more original... while Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson usually equal a hilarious movie, Steve Carell has been producing comedy geniusness for years on The Daily Show.

It remains to be seen.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:09 pm

I agree with most of you guys about A History of Violence. It was an awesome movie, however, the beginning and ending sucked. They dragged those out forever. I wish they would have gotten more into the action sooner. Sure, the very beginning at that motel was awesome, but then for the next like 1/2 hour, nothing! I still gotta give it 2 thumbs/5 stars/10 out of 10 etc etc...
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk