Wikipedia as Smart as Brittanica! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wikipedia as Smart as Brittanica!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:33 pm

I'm gonna make an entry for the fantasybaseballcafe
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Webster11 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:30 pm

I love wikipedia. I use it all the time to look up information quickly
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:45 am

I don't use either one very often, but then again, school was a very long time ago. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:36 pm

RugbyD wrote:
While some Britannica officials have publicly criticized Wikipedia's quality in the past, Panelas praised the free service for having the speed and breadth to keep up on topics such as "extreme ironing." The sport, in which competitors iron clothing in remote locations, is not covered in Britannica.

Britannica is better for having not covered this subject.
Exactly.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:45 pm

So, after I cleverly showed my girlfriend the article in this thread to prove to her that Wikipedia was as accurate as Britannica, she didn't even flinch and quickly directed me to this site:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- A man who posted false information on an online encyclopedia linking a prominent journalist to the Kennedy assassinations says he was playing a trick on a co-worker.

Brian Chase, 38, ended up resigning from his job and apologizing to John Seigenthaler Sr., the former publisher of the Tennessean newspaper and founding editorial director of USA Today.

"I knew from the news that Mr. Seigenthaler was looking for who did it, and I did it, so I needed to let him know in particular that it wasn't anyone out to get him, that it was done as a joke that went horribly, horribly wrong," Chase was quoted as saying in Sunday editions of The Tennessean.

Chase said he didn't know the free Internet encyclopedia called Wikipedia was used as a serious reference tool.

The biography he posted, which has since been replaced, falsely stated that Seigenthaler was linked to the Kennedy assassinations and had lived in the Soviet Union from 1971 to 1984.

The entry motivated Seigenthaler to write an op-ed piece for USA Today blasting Wikipedia's credibility. He described himself as a close friend of Robert Kennedy and said he had worked with President Kennedy. He said "the most painful thing was to have them suggest that I was suspected of their assassination."

Seigenthaler said he doesn't plan to pursue legal action against Chase.

He also said he doesn't support more regulation of the Internet, but he said that he fears "Wikipedia is inviting it by its allowing irresponsible vandals to write anything they want about anybody."

Chase said he created the fake online biography in May as a gag to shock a co-worker who was familiar with the Seigenthaler family. He resigned as an operations manager at a Nashville delivery company as a result of the debacle.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannyolbb » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:46 pm

Coppermine wrote:So, after I cleverly showed my girlfriend the article in this thread to prove to her that Wikipedia was as accurate as Britannica, she didn't even flinch and quickly directed me to this site:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- A man who posted false information on an online encyclopedia linking a prominent journalist to the Kennedy assassinations says he was playing a trick on a co-worker.

Brian Chase, 38, ended up resigning from his job and apologizing to John Seigenthaler Sr., the former publisher of the Tennessean newspaper and founding editorial director of USA Today.

"I knew from the news that Mr. Seigenthaler was looking for who did it, and I did it, so I needed to let him know in particular that it wasn't anyone out to get him, that it was done as a joke that went horribly, horribly wrong," Chase was quoted as saying in Sunday editions of The Tennessean.

Chase said he didn't know the free Internet encyclopedia called Wikipedia was used as a serious reference tool.

The biography he posted, which has since been replaced, falsely stated that Seigenthaler was linked to the Kennedy assassinations and had lived in the Soviet Union from 1971 to 1984.

The entry motivated Seigenthaler to write an op-ed piece for USA Today blasting Wikipedia's credibility. He described himself as a close friend of Robert Kennedy and said he had worked with President Kennedy. He said "the most painful thing was to have them suggest that I was suspected of their assassination."

He also said he doesn't support more regulation of the Internet, but he said that he fears "Wikipedia is inviting it by its allowing irresponsible vandals to write anything they want about anybody."

Chase said he created the fake online biography in May as a gag to shock a co-worker who was familiar with the Seigenthaler family. He resigned as an operations manager at a Nashville delivery company as a result of the debacle.

As a librarian, your girlfriend should know what a specious argument is...

She is using an isolated incident to prove that she is right, even though a scientific study (see the first post) has shown that Wikipedia is as reliable as the EB. An isolated incident proves nothing in the grand scheme of things. Derek Jeter getting a big hit in the playoffs does not prove the existence of clutch.

Also, wikipedia has changed their rules since the incident she cited. They now require users to register before they can make changes.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:51 pm

dannyolbb wrote:
Coppermine wrote:So, after I cleverly showed my girlfriend the article in this thread to prove to her that Wikipedia was as accurate as Britannica, she didn't even flinch and quickly directed me to this site:

As a librarian, your girlfriend should know what a specious argument is...

She is using an isolated incident to prove that she is right, even though a scientific study (see the first post) has shown that Wikipedia is as reliable as the EB. An isolated incident proves nothing in the grand scheme of things. Derek Jeter getting a big hit in the playoffs does not prove the existence of clutch.

Also, wikipedia has changed their rules since the incident she cited. They now require users to register before they can make changes.

Her trying to prove she's right on a specious argument has nothing to do with the fact that she's a librarian, but rather that she's stubborn. Apparently she's on this librarian listserv that is like a great, big Wikipedia bash session. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that Wikipedia is reliable... she just wanted to prove a point that regardless of how reliable wikipedia is in any subject, it's not a serious research tool.

Whatever I say, wiki to the world!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannyolbb » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:08 pm

As a college professor, I allow my students to use Wikipedia. It is a serious research tool, although some of my colleagues are slow to recognize it. Legitimacy is in the eye of the beholder.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:04 pm

Look at the link I posted... ;-)

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk