Is the WBC going to lose cuba? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is the WBC going to lose cuba?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is the WBC going to lose cuba?

Postby ARN » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:46 pm

link

this annoys me, im hoping this is changed so cuba can come. Its not a baseball classic without a team like cuba, thats always able to compete well in the olympics. I know the olympics are different but i really wanted to see if cuba was going to be able to beat any of these teams.
ARN
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:48 pm

:-t
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:51 pm

Maybe they're doing it, because they realize that it would have the potential to kick our a**es
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ARN » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:52 pm

could be, they are used to playing together if that makes a big difference for the tourneyment
ARN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rirruto » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Is there still a point on having an embargo with Cuba these days? I am fairly ignorant on the current situation unfortunately.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:16 pm

Well that's a big sticky question. There are a lot of aspects to this but I think the biggest sticking point still is that when Castro rose to power there were American businesses and citizens in Cuba. Their property was seized and never given back. In total this was a massive amount of money stolen from the U.S. Another way of looking at it is that it has become a 50-year pissing contest between Castro and the U.S. This probably won't change until Castro dies.

Whether or not you agree with it, the U.S. has stood firm in not allowing Cuba to benefit from the U.S. economy. The MLB wants to make it out like this is just about baseball but just like everything else it's really about the money.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:47 am

Amazinz wrote:Whether or not you agree with it, the U.S. has stood firm in not allowing Cuba to benefit from the U.S. economy. The MLB wants to make it out like this is just about baseball but just like everything else it's really about the money.

Exactly. I'm waiting for the first person to come out with a quote saying that "the U.S. government should not interfere in the great game of baseball," or some other shiitake like that.

:-[
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:16 am

Wait...last time I checked, Cuba was refusing to participate in an event relvolving around Capitalism. When did that change?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

2 things

Postby ARN » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:44 am

personally, baseball seems far more important then this "pissing contest" between the two nations. also does anyone know (and this is just i dont have any idea where to find this info) was cuba allowed to participate adn present for the olympics in atlanta?
ARN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:46 am

Last time i checked this was an INTERNATIONAL event. So how can the US ban cuba from it? Because it takes place in the US? The US doesn't ban Cuba from the Oylmpics when they are held in the US. If MLB can't sign a contract with cuba, can't the Japaneese league just do all the paper work?
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers