Mariners and Carl Everett agree to terms - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners and Carl Everett agree to terms

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mariners and Carl Everett agree to terms

Postby quietstorm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:13 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2259335

Mariners add Everett to DH, play some outfield
Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Carl Everett and the Seattle Mariners agreed to a one-year contract with a club option for 2007.

------------------
Carl Everett
Designated Httr
Chicago White Sox

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
135 23 87 58 .311 .251
------------------

The designated hitter batted .251 with 23 home runs and 87 RBI for the World Series champion Chicago White Sox last season.

"Today we achieved one of our offseason goals," Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi said. "Carl Everett is a clutch-hitting run producer with power. As a switch-hitter, he provides our lineup with added versatility.

"His experience and intensity will be welcome additions to our clubhouse."

Seattle becomes Everett's eighth team in 14 major league seasons. Chicago declined to exercise its 2006 contract option on him Oct. 31, and he became a free agent.

"Carl will primarily be the DH, but will also play some in our outfield," Mariners manager Mike Hargrove said. "Having him in my lineup gives us some of the left-handed sock and run production we were looking for."

The 34-year-old Everett is one of six switch-hitters in major league history with a 100-RBI season in each league. He had 108 with Houston in 1999 and 108 with Boston in 2000. Bobby Bonilla, Eddie Murray, Ted Simmons, Ken Singleton and J.T. Snow are the others.

Everett is a lifetime .274 hitter with 191 homers and 759 RBI in 1,313 games for Florida, the New York Mets, Houston, Boston, Texas, the White Sox and Montreal.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:17 pm

I no longer think it's too early to start speculating on who the next M's GM will be.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:24 pm

Aw christ.

I really do not like Bavasi.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby quietstorm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:39 pm

I got a question into Jonah Keri from BP about it in the chat that's going on right now:

"QuietStorm (Bellingham, WA): The Everett signing isn't *quite* going to bring a dynasty to town. What'll it take for the Mariners to compete, and what's the likely timeframe? And, on that note, does the Everett signing help the M's in any significant fashion?

Jonah Keri: As my friend (and Mariners expert) Dave Cameron put it, if Everett is truly bad, he won't last enough at-bats to hurt the team all that much. But it's also hard to see Everett suddenly pulling a great season out of his dinosaur-repelling hat. Even .260/.330/.460 would be a surprise for him at his age, in that park.

I do think the M's have more good, young talent than people give them credit for, though. Jose Lopez and Jeremy Reed could be plus players for the next several years, and they're young and under Mariner control for a while. Felix Hernandez, to me, is the most exciting player in the majors.

If Bavasi can make a few strategic moves (I LOVED the Jojhima deal), maybe send Betancourt to the walk fairy for a little help, this team could surprise, sooner than you might think."
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:03 pm

really? Only an OBP of .311 last year? Damn that's bad. Anyone know how much this one year deal is for?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Boo Bavasi! :-t :-t :-t :-t

At least we can always trade him back to the White Sox at midseason... ;-7

We need to get Bill the hell out of Dodge and convince Theo to come be our GM.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Minimum of $4m :-P

Link
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:52 pm

I guess they are DHing him? Really, how much more would they have had to pay to get Frank Thomas? Probably not that much. Even going after Mueller or someone like that would have been a better move.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedantic » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:44 pm

stumpak wrote:I guess they are DHing him? Really, how much more would they have had to pay to get Frank Thomas? Probably not that much. Even going after Mueller or someone like that would have been a better move.

Not that I'm defending the move, because I do think it's horrible, but Frank Thomas can't bat left-handed.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:35 pm

What will he do in Seattle? :-?

.235-50-11-55-0 :-P
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager