Brandon Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Webb

Postby rotterdam_82 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:52 pm

It seems to me this guy is still flying under the radar. I know he isn't on the best team in the world, but he's shown glimpses of real talent and at only 26 there still may be an awful lot more to come from him. For instance, compare him to another 26 year old, Ben Sheets.....

Sheets ERA : 3.83
Webb ERA : 3.35

Sheets K/9 : 7.6
Webb K/9 : 7.4

Sheets WHIP : 1.22
Webb WHIP : 1.31

Sheets W/L : 55-62
Webb W/L : 31-37

Webbs WHIP is knocked out of shape slightly by the horrible 1.50 he posted in '04, and although Sheets has shown enough of an improvement over the last two years to be concidered the better option Webb is still young enough to improve conciderably.

I'm not saying he will be as good a pitcher as Sheets, but I doubt there will be 9 rounds worth of difference as there was in our recent Mock.

Thoughts for 06? Does 3.20/1.20 with 180 K's and 10 wins seem too much of a stretch?
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Manfred » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:01 pm

I've had Webb on my team for the past 3 years. I love the guy. 2 years ago, bobby cox said he was the best pitcher in the NL. That sinker is devastating. Because he's been on my team, I've watched a lot of his starts. He needs to learn to be a littel more economical with his pitches. I find he tires out a lot in the 5th/6th innings. Also, he needs to learn how to win. Runs have not come easily in Arizona (especially 2 years ago). But, I saw many games where he was staked to a 1 or 2 run lead in the 6th or 7th only to gpo out the very next inning and give it back. Great pitchers know how to turn it up in those situations. I think it comes with experience. I think he has tons of potential. this year I see slightly improved numebrs form last year. maybe 16 wins, 3.3-3.5 era. 180-190k, whip right around where it was last year.

Also, his numbers are heavily dependent upon his team defense. nto sure how arizona stacks up this year. (my numbers above assume their D is as good as last year)
Manfred
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:18 pm

They are two completely different style of pitchers... Sheets always had a much higher ceiling due to his superior fastball, curve. It's very tough to draw any comparison between the two.

However, Webb is a very hard throwing sinker ball pitcher. He seems to get more Ks than most sinker ballers. As he matures I think he will be more consistent. Mid 3 ERA with a decent amount of Ks and Ws are reasonable to expect. I doubt he becomes a lights out pitcher like Sheets unless he develops another plus pitch.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:21 am

Nice to see he's still so far under the radar he isn't concidered to be worth talking about ;-D
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevethumb » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:35 am

Shhhhhhhh .... the guy is good
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:35 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:Nice to see he's still so far under the radar he isn't concidered to be worth talking about ;-D

I was thrilled getting him so late in our mock, at 11.9 of a 14 team mock. I agree with you, I think he is being undervalued, although you better have some good options for W's, because he likely will not get very many.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Webb Wins

Postby bigjimblue » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:05 pm

I don't agree with the previous poster about lack of wins.
I believe the Snakes will be considerably better this year and reward Webb by getting him 18 wins.
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Re: Webb Wins

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:28 pm

bigjimblue wrote:I don't agree with the previous poster about lack of wins.
I believe the Snakes will be considerably better this year and reward Webb by getting him 18 wins.
What makes you think so. Who did they sign?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Arizona

Postby bigjimblue » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:45 pm

The one game I went to last year was Arizona at Dodger stadium. I was impressed with their youngsters. In that game Nippert and Medders pitched well. Jackson and Tracy hit the ball well.
Next year they have a better catcher in Estrada. Valverde is showing better confidence as their closer. And they have minor leaguers who are ready to move up. Just watch Young, Quentin and Drew in spring training. It wouldn't surprise me if all 3 made the 25-man roster. Besides, Webb won 14 last year!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby -Slap- » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:58 am

Brandon Webb always has a place on my teams. The defense behind him was much improved last season and his improved control might have been partially because he was simply more confident with some better fielders behind him.
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach