Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:06 pm

rooster7 wrote:New to the cafe and thought I should chime in here. Making a switch from any infield position to first base is an easy switch. They may not be Derrek Lee at 1b but with Nomar's athletic ablility and ability to field ground balls and catch a ball from no more than 120 feet away should not be a problem. First base is usually the person in the infield who has lost some range and is injury prone. I dont see any reason why Nomar couldn't handle 1b

Reasons:
1. Hamstring pull
2. Wrist damage
3. Groin pull
4. Oblique strain
5. neck strain
6. cramps
7. hang nail
8. mosquito bites
9. dandruff

...you ge tthe idea.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:17 pm

Doug M was one of the main reasons the Sox took the title in 04. His defense was stellar. Is he an offensive powerhouse? Not even close. But do you really need more offense in that lineup?

It all depends on what the players are asking for. I still doubt Nomar is going to sign for 5 mil ( I think he is using the Yanks for leverage). Who knows maybe Doug would sign for a million or 1.5. What was Tino about to get?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby blankman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:37 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Projected Yankee lineup if this goes down:

1. Derek Jeter SS
2. Nomar Garciaparra 1B
3. Alex Rodriguez 3B
4. Hideki Matsui LF
5. Gary Sheffield RF
6. Jason Giambi DH
7. Robinson Cano 2B
8. Jorge Posada C
9. Bubba Crosby CF

Bench:
-Kelley Stinnett C
-Andy Phillips 1B
-Bernie Williams CF

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but that is one hell of a lineup. 8-o

I really don't thats even close to the lineup they'd put out there. Torre won't start the order off with 3 straight righties. A-Rod had his very best numbers while batting 5th and the Yanks ended the year very much like this.

I see

R Jeter
R Nomar (Cano if Nomar struggles)
L Giambi
R Sheffield
R Alex
L Matsui
L Cano
S Posada
L Crosby
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:38 pm

blankman wrote:

1. Derek Jeter SS
2. Nomar Garciaparra 1B
3. Alex Rodriguez 3B
4. Hideki Matsui LF
5. Gary Sheffield RF
6. Jason Giambi DH
7. Robinson Cano 2B
8. Jorge Posada C
9. Bubba Crosby CF

Bench:
-Kelley Stinnett C
-Andy Phillips 1B
-Bernie Williams CF

I really don't thats even close to the lineup they'd put out there. Torre won't start the order off with 3 straight righties. A-Rod had his very best numbers while batting 5th and the Yanks ended the year very much like this.

I see

R Jeter
L Giambi
R Sheffield
R Alex
L Matsui
L Cano
S Posada
L Crosby

Not that I disagree, but didn't A-Rod end the year batting 2nd?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby blankman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:44 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
blankman wrote:

1. Derek Jeter SS
2. Nomar Garciaparra 1B
3. Alex Rodriguez 3B
4. Hideki Matsui LF
5. Gary Sheffield RF
6. Jason Giambi DH
7. Robinson Cano 2B
8. Jorge Posada C
9. Bubba Crosby CF

Bench:
-Kelley Stinnett C
-Andy Phillips 1B
-Bernie Williams CF

I see

R Jeter
L Giambi
R Sheffield
R Alex
L Matsui
L Cano
S Posada
L Crosby

Not that I disagree, but didn't A-Rod end the year batting 2nd?

Yes, but we saw what he did there during the playoffs.

He'd probably end up there if Nomar wasn't there or Cano wasn't good enough for the spot.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:59 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:He helps no one on the DL which is where he likely will be 50+% of the time. And since when is 5M or more a year cheap? I rather let Phillip get the job then sign someone like Nomar or Damon. It is just wasting 10M on someone who is 2 years past his prime and who has proen to be totally unreliable. And for a DH...you can get cheaper options with less risk if you want to go that route. For 1b, all you are getting is another old, overpriced stiff playing out of position and hoping he regains his form.

I understand the injury concern. You see him as washed up, I haven't written him off as that yet. If that's your opinion that's cool. I just think that with the Yankees extreme lack of depth, and the fact that Nomar will likely only cost a few more millions than some other DH/bench/1B option, with an amazingly higher upside.

I don't even see who the cheaper DH options are that you speak of. The pool is pretty dry right now. I'm not saying that it is mandantory they get Nomar because of it, I just think that if the price is around $5 million, that's a gamble I'd probably be willing to take.

He played very well when he came back from injury last year, and I think that by platooning him with Giambi, that will preserve both of them throughout the season. He can also help upgrade the defense because almost anything at 1B is better than Giambi. He brings a great clubhouse presence and a potentially dangerous bat from the number 2 hole, for a relatively low price.

If the price is higher than what I'm projecting it to be, then I would not go for it. But based on the market right now, and Nomar's potential and willingness to play wherever he has to in order to help the team, I wouldn't mind this move.

Not that I am advocating it (I am not), but guys like Thomas are around and would come a lot cheaper than Nomar I should think. You probably could not use him as a 1b anymore, but as a DH he would be an Ok gamble if all he cost was 2-3 M for 1 year. Reggie Sanders is still out there also though reportedly he has 2 year offers on the table and the price is rising. I do not know how much money is involved, but Sanders is a decent player....not a great one though.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:13 pm

rooster7 wrote:New to the cafe and thought I should chime in here. Making a switch from any infield position to first base is an easy switch. They may not be Derrek Lee at 1b but with Nomar's athletic ablility and ability to field ground balls and catch a ball from no more than 120 feet away should not be a problem. First base is usually the person in the infield who has lost some range and is injury prone. I dont see any reason why Nomar couldn't handle 1b

welcome to the cafe ;-D you made a very nice point. yanks04 just likes to whine like a kid, we all just ignore him.

yeah i think i see torre staying with L/R most of the time batting giambi third and arod fourth. i just dont know how sheff will react batting 5th or 6th in the lineup. not that it's gona hurt his stats.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:14 pm

Do you guys think the Yankees will go into Spring Training with Crosby in CF?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:17 pm

RynMan wrote:Do you guys think the Yankees will go into Spring Training with Crosby in CF?

from the way it sounds yeah. cashman and torre both seem pretty confident in Crosby. he's not an automatic out anymore. he finished the season with a respectable .276 through 96 ABs. as long as he doesnt sink below .260 we'll be fine with him in the lineup and he's a decent center fielder. his crash with sheff was just magnified cuz it was in the playoffs. freak accidents happen, look at beltran and cameron two gold glove caliber players collide head first into each other. :-o
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:17 pm

Makes me sick.

There's still time Nomie :-[
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter