Catcher Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Catcher Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:11 pm

I see Javy Lopez as Mike Piazza as two of the most intriguing options, since they'll have catcher eligibility but probably won't play catcher. If Brandon Inge could be one of the top-ranked catchers last year as a position player with catcher eligibility, then I would think a guy like Javy or Piazza would be quite a bit above the rest of the pack. Of course, with Javy at age 35 and coming off a mediocre season, he's far from a sure bet.

I suspect that aging guys like Posada and Pudge will go earlier than they should. I think this is definitely a year to wait and grab a catcher late. To be honest, Piazza's the only one who really jumps out at me, and that depends where he ends up. V-Mart's tempting, but I think he'll go well before I'd be willing to take him.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tal1286 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:15 am

I agree that once you get past VMart, the Catcher market is very thin.

When he puts together a full season of good ball he'll probably put up 25-30 HR and hit .315-.320.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:18 am

I don't see why any of these guys is worth worrying about let alone spending a top 8-10 round pick on. Frankly, if you play in mixed league, 1 C lroster eagues, I just assume wait til round 20 and grab a Molina, Pierz, LoDuca, Barrett type. Even in 2 C leagues, none of these guys is worth worrying about. The top C, VM is a dubious call next season. Mauer has proven nothing withminilal power. Posada is in serious decline...same for IRod and Piazza. There is no reason to really even waste your time on this position in anything but single league leagues.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:06 am

I agree with three things here:

1) Barret is REALLY low on that list

2) Mauer is almost invariably overrated

3) You get far better value by waiting for a mid-tier C rather than tossing in for a top 5 guy early.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:18 am

WittyC wrote:Joe Mauer is terribly overrated by everyone... he has done nothing at the MLB level that warrants being second catcher overall.

I agree w/ pretty much everything else, but I'd move Kendall up quite a bit (ahead of McCann, who also might be too high). No homers, but still a career .300 hitter who plays more often than most catchers. 601 AB compared w/ V-Mart's 547 (second most) and Ivan's 504 (third most).

Good list, though. ;-D
I agree. I think unproven Mauer shouldn't jump ahead of Varitek just yet.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 am

I would bump up Ben Molina, Zaun and AJ a little bit, bump down Mauer, McCann and the other Molina.

Anyone think that Jason Phillips can hit over .230? If he does he could fit in at the bottom of the list. He is a guy that I would take a late round flier on as a #2 C.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:32 pm

Jeff Mathis could also be worth a look as a #2 catcher if he is given the starting nod by the Angels and I would move AJ and Kendall up a bit on your lists as well.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I would bump up Ben Molina, Zaun and AJ a little bit, bump down Mauer, McCann and the other Molina.

Anyone think that Jason Phillips can hit over .230? If he does he could fit in at the bottom of the list. He is a guy that I would take a late round flier on as a #2 C.

Didn't Jason Phillips get non-tendered?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:36 pm

I hope he got non-tendered. Maybe he should call Pittsburgh, Tracy liked his .230 bat so much that he was playing him at 1B.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:40 pm

RynMan wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I agree with Pogo, Barrett is way too low. Also agree with the two posts above although it seems like everyone has this opinion so I am not sure how much of a sleeper he'll be since you'll probably have to pay for it. The way I see the catcher rankings this year is that unless VMart falls I will target no one and just grab whatever crap is leftover. I'm certainly not drafting Mauer as if he's the #2 catcher. He might be but I'm not going to pay for it.

Agreed. Looking at this list really demonstrates how ugly C is at the moment... :-P

Also agreed on Barrett and Mauer.

Wanted to add that Doumit might be a pretty decent sleeper. He may get a lot of playing time in OF than most C's will.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers