King Felix to be held out of WBC? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

King Felix to be held out of WBC?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

King Felix to be held out of WBC?

Postby Buster Douglas » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:44 pm

From rotoworld:
WBC officials are expected to uphold the Mariners' objection and prohibit Felix Hernandez from competing in this spring's event, a source with knowledge of the process told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
The Mariners don't want to take any chances with the 19-year-old. "Our belief is that he's too young," Mariners president Chuck Armstrong said last week. "With his age, when you're playing for your flag, it creates a lot of adrenaline, a lot of emotion. He just needs to get prepared for this season." Dec. 12 - 4:48 am et
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

As a Felix owner, I'm pleased. I'm just curious though, whether stuff like this will tick the players off. Talk about paternalism.
Buster Douglas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:47 pm

I don't blame them the Mariners has intentionally given him light work loads in the minors, and now they they don't want him ruined when he is finally able contribute to their big league team.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm

He can play in the event down the road, he doesn't need to prove anything for his country.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:He can play in the event down the road, he doesn't need to prove anything for his country.
He's young and could handle the workload.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:10 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
foulballstrike3 wrote:He can play in the event down the road, he doesn't need to prove anything for his country.

Being a cub fan, you should know what heavy workloads do to young pitchers arms. I would think after what Dusty Baker did to Prior you would agree with the M's decisions.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby quietstorm » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:11 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Kerry Wood. Mark Prior. Argument defeated.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:58 pm

Not like the M's have a great track record of handling young arms. Hernandez will break down by his 3rd season. Watch.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 pm

I remember looking at his innings so far in his career and thinking that they have done a pretty good job of taking care of his arm so far. The M's wanted to cap him at 195 last year and he only threw 175. He only avg 14.4 pitches/inning in the majors which is a really low total. I'm glad they are holding him back. I want to see this guy develop into the dominant pitcher everyone thinks he can be.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby quietstorm » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:39 pm

Yoda wrote:Not like the M's have a great track record of handling young arms. Hernandez will break down by his 3rd season. Watch.
A lot of what happens to the M's young arms is just crappy luck, though. There's something in the water, I swear.

Even look at Randy Johnson. He was falling apart when he left Seattle. He hasn't had back problems since. WTF?
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:59 pm

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about an MLB team objecting to one of their players playing for Team USA?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers