Yanks won't let Posada play - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks won't let Posada play

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 pm

This is what is wrong with the WBC - Teams are going to be pulling their marquee players of those teams and your going to see unknown players (not known to the casual fan) playing for their respective countries. I think if your selected, you must play. Whats the point of the WBC if it doesnt have the best players in the game?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:36 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:This is what is wrong with the WBC - Teams are going to be pulling their marquee players of those teams and your going to see unknown players (not known to the casual fan) playing for their respective countries. I think if your selected, you must play. Whats the point of the WBC if it doesnt have the best players in the game?

What if a player doesn't want to play? You're going to force them to compete?

Even if a player does want to play, I find nothing wrong with their teams to pull them out. These teams make a commitment to these players and invest in them largely. If I'm Steinbrenner, I'm not letting Rivera go throw in competition during the month of March. If I'm Seattle's owner, I'm not letting Felix Hernandez play. I would not want any of my players competing this early.

I personally am happy that the Yankees are keeping some of their guys out. If Rivera blew out his arm trying to throw 90mph cutters in March and missed most of the season, half of New York would riot. I don't want my guys pitching in these games.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:37 pm

I can understand where the Yanks are coming from on this and am surprised more teams aren't taking stands like this. The one I'm most shocked to still see out there is Bonds. Seems the Giants might want to be extra careful with that knee.

The problem with the WBC is going to be teams holding out their star players. I like the fact that they're getting the big names to commit and it would be great for the event if everyone were allowed to play. However, in today's world of super-expensive contracts, that's just not going to happen. In order for this to become a World Cup style event, they need to get everyone eligible and get rid of these team objections. It will never happen, but it'd be awesome if it did.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:39 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Players aren't selected. They fill papers to apply to play for a country, if they are deemed elidgable to play for that country and are selected to play for that country then you play in WBC. No one is going to be FORCED to play.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:40 pm

thedude wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Players aren't selected. They fill papers to apply to play for a country, if they are deemed elidgable to play for that country and are selected to play for that country then you play in WBC. No one is going to be FORCED to play.

Regardless, I see nothing wrong with teams not wanting their players to play. In fact, I support the teams.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:46 pm

I see your point and I agree. What I was trying to say, perhaps it wasnt worded efficiently, is that why even bother trying to host an event such as this? If this trend continues (teams pulling out their all-stars), then the talent level will be watered down. I dont blame the Yanks for pulling him out of the competition, its logical and in their best interests. Its a great idea, but for the idea to come to fruition, the best players need to be on the field and I just dont see that happening. Good attempt by baseball but its a waste of time. As someone mentioned earlier, the first injury that occurs to a prime time player, this competition is done (or at least all-star players wont willingly sign up to play).
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:50 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:I see your point and I agree. What I was trying to say, perhaps it wasnt worded efficiently, is that why even bother trying to host an event such as this? If this trend continues (teams pulling out their all-stars), then the talent level will be watered down. I dont blame the Yanks for pulling him out of the competition, its logical and in their best interests. Its a great idea, but for the idea to come to fruition, the best players need to be on the field and I just dont see that happening. Good attempt by baseball but its a waste of time. As someone mentioned earlier, the first injury that occurs to a prime time player, this competition is done (or at least all-star players wont willingly sign up to play).

Agreed on all accounts.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:55 pm

I like the competetion the way it looks now. Hopefully not too many teams will be holding their players out. I can certainly understand some players, such as Rivera and Posada, but as of right now, there's no reason not to allow Jeter or A-Rod compete. Wouldn't getting hurt in one of these games be the same as getting hurt in Spring Training?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:45 pm

luckygehrig wrote:I like the competetion the way it looks now. Hopefully not too many teams will be holding their players out. I can certainly understand some players, such as Rivera and Posada, but as of right now, there's no reason not to allow Jeter or A-Rod compete. Wouldn't getting hurt in one of these games be the same as getting hurt in Spring Training?

No. Nobody knows how long or hard players will play in these games. Nobody knows how seriously they will be taken. If A-Rod and Jeter are going all-out make unessicary dives and such, which they wouldn't make in a spring training game, then they are increasing their chance of injury. No matter how careful the managers are, they likely won't be as careful as the player's real manager would be.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:20 pm

George should not let any of them play in this silliness.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers