BUSS Round 1 - Maine BEATS Kentucky - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BUSS Round 1 - Maine BEATS Kentucky

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kentucky or Maine?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:19 am

Kentucky
43%
Maine
57%

Total votes : 44

BUSS Round 1 - Maine BEATS Kentucky

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:19 am

Kentucky

Capital City: Frankfort
State Bird: Cardinal
Famous Kentuckians
Muhammad Ali, Boxer
Rosemary Clooney, Singer
Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President
Loretta Lynn, Singer
Diane Sawyer, Broadcast Journalist
Hunter Thompson, Writer

Quick Facts
- The town of Murray is home to the Boy Scouts of America Scouting Museum located on the campus of Murray State University.

- The Kentucky Derby is the oldest continuously held horse race in the country. It is held at Churchill Downs in Louisville on the first Saturday in May.

- The Bluegrass Country around Lexington is home to some of the world's finest racehorses.

- Mammoth Cave is the world's longest cave and was first promoted in 1816, making it the second oldest tourist attraction in the United States. Niagara Falls, New York is first.

- Cheeseburgers were first served in 1934 at Kaolin's restaurant in Louisville.

Maine

Capital City: Augusta
State Bird: Chickadee
Famous Mainers
Stephen King, Writer
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poet
Liv Tyler, Actress

Quick Facts
- Eastport is the most eastern city in the United States. The city is considered the first place in the United States to receive the rays of the morning sun.

- In Wilton there's a cannery that imports and cans only dandelion greens.

- Maine is the only state in the United States whose name has one syllable.

- Maine is the only state that shares its border with only one other state.

- Joshua L. Chamberlain born in Brewer received the only battlefield promotion to General during the Civil War. He was also the last Civil War soldier to die of wounds incurred in the War.
Last edited by ironman on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:31 am

as i was born there it kentucky all the way ;-D
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:37 am

Maine? Go Kats.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 am

Maine dominates Kentucky.

Home of Stephen King, L.L. Bean and the true nation's largest producer of potatoes, Maine is a lovely state. While it is cold in the winter, it is the perfect summer destination, and we all know New England rules.

My uncle has a summer home on an island off the coast of Portland. Portland, by the way, is a beautiful city... very cultured and boasts the second highest number of restaurants per capita, after San Francisco.

Kentucky has rednecks.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:48 am

Kentucky has bourbon.

MMMMMMM.................Bourbon. :-L
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:53 am

Maine is clearly the best of the States and we would gladly accept it as the 11th province.

Other famous people from Maine:

Mike Bordick (has received all star votes)
LL Bean (like Eddie Bauer but in catalogue form)
Milton Bradley (the board game guy, not the psycho)

Kennebunkport is in Maine - where the rich and influential come to get drunk.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:56 am

ironman wrote:Kentucky has bourbon.

MMMMMMM.................Bourbon. :-L

Yes, but you should know, many Kentucky counties are dry counties... you can't buy alcohol there at all. While their Bourbon is top notch, Kentucky as a state is pretty sad.

One of the biggest problems in Kentucky... marijuana farming. Kentucky is largest producer of pot in the country because there is so much wilderness/uninhabited area. The farmers defend their crops with some heavy firearms and complex booby traps. The reason? Lack of subsidies for farmers growing legitimate crops. A single marijuana plant can net you about $1500. In case you're wondering, the war on drugs is not one the US is winning.

Regardless, I still prefer Maine.

PS - Anyone know the difference between Whiskey and Bourbon?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:59 am

Coppermine wrote:PS - Anyone know the difference between Whiskey and Bourbon?

OK, OK, I'll just tell you... Jack Daniels invented Bourbon by accident. He had the famous Whiskey distillery, but decided the process was wasteful. Whiskey is distilled in oak barrells, and the barrells would be thrown away after the process since the wood became tainted. He had the ingenious idea of recycling the barrells by burning the insides of them. What he discovered was that whiskey distilled in the charred barrells had a distinctively different taste... a BETTER taste.

Hence, Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey was born. Thanks Jack ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:03 pm

Coppermine wrote:

OK, OK, I'll just tell you... Jack Daniels invented Bourbon by accident. He had the famous Whiskey distillery, but decided the process was wasteful. Whiskey is distilled in oak barrells, and the barrells would be thrown away after the process since the wood became tainted. He had the ingenious idea of recycling the barrells by burning the insides of them. What he discovered was that whiskey distilled in the charred barrells had a distinctively different taste... a BETTER taste.

But too be officially called "Bourbon" it has to be made in Kentucky, hence why Jack Daniels is called Tennessee Whiskey.

Yeah I had a friend go to Frankfort for a conference once and told me about the dry counties. Boo to that. Were they afraid the bars would be an unfair competition to the burgeoning backwoods moonshine economy? :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:12 pm

ironman wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

But too be officially called "Bourbon" it has to be made in Kentucky, hence why Jack Daniels is called Tennessee Whiskey.

Yeah I had a friend go to Frankfort for a conference once and told me about the dry counties. Boo to that. Were they afraid the bars would be an unfair competition to the burgeoning backwoods moonshine economy? :-D

Actually, any state can make Bourbon, but by law, only Kentucky can put its name on the bottle.

As far as dry counties goes, it doesn't make sense. I'm not sure if it's just a conservative, religious type of thing... clearly, having a dry county does not reduce alcohol consumption, per se. That said, dry counties in Kentucky to this very day are homes to some of the greatest moonshine distilleries in the country.

I believe those counties were made dry specifically to combate moonshining, but this clearly has been a moot point. I thought living in PA was bad where we can only buy liquor and wine from state operated stores and beer by the case only at certified "distributors."

I buy all my booze in Maryland anyway.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk