Chris Burke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Burke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:35 am

Burke has been offered to me in trade so I've really been studying up on his playing time prospects this year.

It doesn't look good. I don't see how he will get any more at bats than last year, and in fact it looks worse. The Astros are semi-actively looking on the free agent market for a LFer including having an offer in to Nomar. Other vets like Rondell White are also being considered.

So even if they sign White and he inevitably gets injured that still doesn't mean big PT for Burke. Yes, they are committed to Biggio at 2B so it won't be there unless Biggio gets hurt. Bagwell will at least have the right-handed half of a platoon at first, but remember they will also be finding at bats for the newly re-signed Mike Lamb who they really gave a lot of at bats to in the 2nd half of last year and who is one of their few power guys. This scenario would leave Berkman in LF.

As much as I think Burke is an exciting option, it just isn't safe to guarantee him even 300 plate appearances this year. It would take injury(ies) or big slumps by Lane or Tavares to get him those ABs.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:39 am

stumpak wrote:On a smaller scale, I think Burke will be this year's Orlando Cabrera. People will overpay based on his big postseason. In reality he has yet to show that, while the fantasy potential is there, he is worth anything at 2B much less OF in anything but the very deepest leagues. But watch, some fool will gamble on him in almost every league.

Cabrera? I was thinking more along the lines of Beltran... ish. After all, he was an Astro, too.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:05 am

JTWood wrote:
stumpak wrote:On a smaller scale, I think Burke will be this year's Orlando Cabrera. People will overpay based on his big postseason. In reality he has yet to show that, while the fantasy potential is there, he is worth anything at 2B much less OF in anything but the very deepest leagues. But watch, some fool will gamble on him in almost every league.

Cabrera? I was thinking more along the lines of Beltran... ish. After all, he was an Astro, too.
:-b Stop hating Beltran actually has put up huge numbers before.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:02 am

bronxxbomber wrote:
JTWood wrote:

:-b Stop hating Beltran actually has put up huge numbers before.

I did put the "ish" in there.

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers