Cairo Back in Pinstripes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Cairo Back in Pinstripes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
blankman wrote:I completely disagree that he's done a good job.

The bullpen is even worse than last year. This is my biggest beef with him this offseason.

There is no DH.

He found no solution to CF.

Anybody can do nothing and not sign any of a list of guys (Damon, Konerko, Burnett etc). It doesn't take $5 Million to do that. That money is given to him to do something and he's done nothing to make this team better than they were last season, when last year's team clearly wasn't good enough.

He's done well to keep Cano and Wang and stay away from Damon, but at his ridiculous salary, its disgraceful that he's managed to make the team worse than last year.

You're starting to sound like Yanks04. I know Cashman hasn't done much, but what is he supposed to do? It's not like there's some building where he can go pick up a CF and some bullpen arms. THERE AREN'T ANY AVAILABLE.

He offered Gordon a 3 year contract (which was stupid in my opinion) but it got turned down anyway. He tried to get Ryan but he wanted to close.

He tried for Giles (though that wasn't close to being an ideal option in the first place) but he was obviously just screwing with the Yankees. He stayed away from high priced guys like Damon and company (people that you have been dead-set against bringing in.)

What the hell would you have liked him to have done? If you don't have an answer, then don't complain about him.

Brian Cashman is paid $5 Million and has been doing this job for years now. It is his responsibility, his job, to make sure things like this do not happen. Maybe this year there isn't much out there, but shouldn't he have foreseen that? Is it not his job to look to the future and to see the lack of options now before it happens and make moves accordingly?

You all act as if these are his first couple months on the job.

Everyone knows that I'm in agreement on not signing Damon, Burnett or trading Cano and Wang, but at some point you have to hold Cashman and company responsible for the team going into next year worse off than at the end of the last.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:21 pm

You think Cairo is kicking himself for not taking the Yanks offer last year? :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:30 pm

blankman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
blankman wrote:I completely disagree that he's done a good job.

The bullpen is even worse than last year. This is my biggest beef with him this offseason.

There is no DH.

He found no solution to CF.

Anybody can do nothing and not sign any of a list of guys (Damon, Konerko, Burnett etc). It doesn't take $5 Million to do that. That money is given to him to do something and he's done nothing to make this team better than they were last season, when last year's team clearly wasn't good enough.

He's done well to keep Cano and Wang and stay away from Damon, but at his ridiculous salary, its disgraceful that he's managed to make the team worse than last year.

You're starting to sound like Yanks04. I know Cashman hasn't done much, but what is he supposed to do? It's not like there's some building where he can go pick up a CF and some bullpen arms. THERE AREN'T ANY AVAILABLE.

He offered Gordon a 3 year contract (which was stupid in my opinion) but it got turned down anyway. He tried to get Ryan but he wanted to close.

He tried for Giles (though that wasn't close to being an ideal option in the first place) but he was obviously just screwing with the Yankees. He stayed away from high priced guys like Damon and company (people that you have been dead-set against bringing in.)

What the hell would you have liked him to have done? If you don't have an answer, then don't complain about him.

Brian Cashman is paid $5 Million and has been doing this job for years now. It is his responsibility, his job, to make sure things like this do not happen. Maybe this year there isn't much out there, but shouldn't he have foreseen that? Is it not his job to look to the future and to see the lack of options now before it happens and make moves accordingly?

You all act as if these are his first couple months on the job.

Everyone knows that I'm in agreement on not signing Damon, Burnett or trading Cano and Wang, but at some point you have to hold Cashman and company responsible for the team going into next year worse off than at the end of the last.

Yeah, we all know that they dug themselves into a deep hole in the past. But that was the PAST. We all know what happened, what went wrong and why. We can't do anything about it though, so we might as well stop complaining about it.

The fact of the matter is, Cashman is doing what is best for the team RIGHT NOW by keeping the youth and staying away from overpriced, aging vets. If that means we have to take a flier on some guys in 2006, so be it. Rather that than further bury ourselves in the future by signing Burnett and Konerko.

You can't say that you don't like any of the options available, and then blame Cashman for not improving the team this offseason. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If Cashman signed Damon you would be complaining. He hasn't signed Damon and you are still complaining. Pick a side and stick with it. I'm supportive of what he's done this offseason, even if what he's done hasn't been much. I'ts what's best for the future of this franchise.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:29 am

Talks about Cairo were put on hold for a while during the Nomar/Damon negotiations, but looks like we inked him.

The Yankees and Miguel Cairo have reached a preliminary agreement on a one-year, $1 million contract.
Cairo had to settle for $900,000 from the Mets last year and hit just .251/.296/.324 in 327 at-bats. He probably won't be a lot better as a utilityman for the Yankees. Dec. 29 - 1:18 am et

Not great by any means, but at least the Yanks are adding some depth to that bench, which has been dreadful for years.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:32 am

They're also rumored to be after JT Snow along with the Red Sox and Orioles.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to New York Yankees