Cairo Back in Pinstripes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Cairo Back in Pinstripes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cairo Back in Pinstripes

Postby Rirruto » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:10 pm

December 10, 2005 -- For the second straight offseason, Miguel Cairo appears as if he will be joining a different team in the same city.

Cairo, the free-agent veteran who played this past year with the Mets and played in 2004 with the Yankees, looks to be headed back to The Bronx. The Yankees are getting close on a one-year deal with the infielder.

The 31-year-old Cairo would be a backup infielder for the Yankees.

Cairo had one of his best seasons with the Yankees two years ago after coming over from the Cardinals. In 2004, he played 122 games with the Yanks, batting .292 with six homers, 42 RBIs, 11 steals and a .346 on-base percentage in 360 at-bats.

This past year with the Mets, though, Cairo struggled. He batted only .251 in 100 games with two homers, 19 RBIs and a .296 OBP in 327 at-bats. Cairo did tally 13 steals.

Cairo can be a versatile player. He played five different positions with the Mets last year. He spent 82 games at second base but also played eight at first, three at third, two in left field and one in right.

The Yankees are believed to be interested in free agent Eduardo Perez, who hit .255 with 11 homers and a .368 OBP in just 161 at-bats with Tampa Bay this past year. The 36-year-old Perez, a right-handed hitter who played mostly first base in 2005, hit 10 of those homers in 137 at-bats against lefties. He also clobbered the Yankees this past year, going deep four times in 17 at-bats.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Fine by me with Cairo. Not big news, but a good signing.

Now if he would just do something about the bullpen :-[
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:13 pm

blankman wrote:Fine by me with Cairo. Not big news, but a good signing.

Lol...and CF...and DH...and the starting staff.

Actualy, I would settle for his resignation.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby luckygehrig » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:31 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:

What's wrong with the starters? We've got 7 returning from last year. Johnson showed what he could do down the stretch last year. Moose is most certainly not going anywhere. Wang and Chacon have earned their spots. Pavano will most likely be the other starter based on the contract that he signed. Sure, he's not living up to expectations but there are worse alternatives out there. Small or Wright will probably both be on standby in case of injuries.

Also, as far as the DH goes. Who would you like to see signed there? If you want a power hitter, who would you like to see signed? Frank Thomas? I really doubt that he's worth whatever the going price will be.

I for one am glad the Yanks aren't going out and signing every aging, overrated free agent out there. You say you'd like to see Cashman resign, but what would you do if you were in his position?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:54 pm

I don't mind this. I wanted him back after last season but they opted for Blowmack. :-P Cairo should be a decent option off the bench and as a possible defensive replacement for Cano.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:26 am

luckygehrig wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

What's wrong with the starters? We've got 7 returning from last year. Johnson showed what he could do down the stretch last year. Moose is most certainly not going anywhere. Wang and Chacon have earned their spots. Pavano will most likely be the other starter based on the contract that he signed. Sure, he's not living up to expectations but there are worse alternatives out there. Small or Wright will probably both be on standby in case of injuries.

Also, as far as the DH goes. Who would you like to see signed there? If you want a power hitter, who would you like to see signed? Frank Thomas? I really doubt that he's worth whatever the going price will be.

I for one am glad the Yanks aren't going out and signing every aging, overrated free agent out there. You say you'd like to see Cashman resign, but what would you do if you were in his position?

RJ...old, lots of gopher balls.
Pavano...always hurt...not that great when not
Wright...when he is not hurt he blows
Moose...old and in serious decline, Nothing more than a # 3 now
Wang and Chacon...OK but not aces
Small...he can't possibly do it again can he?

When June rolls around and they see Pavano and Wright and one of Moose\RJ sitting on the DL, it will be 2005 re-visited. Except this time their weakened bullpen and crummy DH/CF combo will mean no playoffs. Then maybe the Clueless One will get the trip to the unemployment line he deserves.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby giants! » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:52 pm

I agree that cashman is doing a good job this offseason. He adressed several needs including the bullpen ( picking up sturtze's option, signing myers to get the lefty we need for ortiz and getting farnsworth to replace the aging gordon.)
He's also adressed the bench by signing cairo and stinett and picked up two minor leaguers for the nearly worthless womack.
More importantly, he didnt waste money on burnett ( just like pavano) and ryan and giles
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:20 pm

I completely disagree that he's done a good job.

The bullpen is even worse than last year. This is my biggest beef with him this offseason.

There is no DH.

He found no solution to CF.

Anybody can do nothing and not sign any of a list of guys (Damon, Konerko, Burnett etc). It doesn't take $5 Million to do that. That money is given to him to do something and he's done nothing to make this team better than they were last season, when last year's team clearly wasn't good enough.

He's done well to keep Cano and Wang and stay away from Damon, but at his ridiculous salary, its disgraceful that he's managed to make the team worse than last year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:19 pm

blankman wrote:I completely disagree that he's done a good job.

The bullpen is even worse than last year. This is my biggest beef with him this offseason.

There is no DH.

Anybody can do nothing and not sign any of a list of guys (Damon, Konerko, Burnett etc). It doesn't take $5 Million to do that. That money is given to him to do something and he's done nothing to make this team better than they were last season, when last year's team clearly wasn't good enough.

He's done well to keep Cano and Wang and stay away from Damon, but at his ridiculous salary, its disgraceful that he's managed to make the team worse than last year.

You're starting to sound like Yanks04. I know Cashman hasn't done much, but what is he supposed to do? It's not like there's some building where he can go pick up a CF and some bullpen arms. THERE AREN'T ANY AVAILABLE.

He offered Gordon a 3 year contract (which was stupid in my opinion) but it got turned down anyway. He tried to get Ryan but he wanted to close.

He tried for Giles (though that wasn't close to being an ideal option in the first place) but he was obviously just screwing with the Yankees. He stayed away from high priced guys like Damon and company (people that you have been dead-set against bringing in.)

What the hell would you have liked him to have done? If you don't have an answer, then don't complain about him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:56 pm

blankman wrote:I completely disagree that he's done a good job.

There is no DH.

So you'd like to see him go get another first baseman? Or another SP? We already have 7! And as far as the bullpen getting worse, what's happened to make it worse? Small and Wright will be out there to take up long relief. You can't be thinking that Mike Myers is worse than Leiter, Embree, or Stanton. Farnsworth pitched just as good as Gordon last year and is younger. Sure, the pen isn't going to be like it was during the late '90s. I don't think anybody's pen is going to be that strong without spending way more than it would be worth.

Who do you want at DH? The Big Hurt? He's always on the DL. Phillips is slated to split time with Giambi there right now, which I don't think is that bad a plan. Yeah, it's not ideal, but last I checked there wasn't anyone out there that we could get to DH without signing yet another over-priced aging vet.

I agree with BB51, you expect something to be done, when there's nothing that can be done. Unless you would trade off Wang and Cano, which the Yanks clearly aren't willing to do. And as far as everyone saying they won't be as good this year as they have in years past, why not? What's significantly different from last year? Even if Bubba is starting in CF, we improve defensively. Johnson may finally have re-adjusted to the AL as he showed in his last 8 or so regular season starts. Pavano and Wright are healthy again and getting ready to give it another shot. They might not work out, but that's what we had last year and last I checked we still won the East.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to New York Yankees