Tejada interested in Cubs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tejada interested in Cubs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tal1286 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:36 am

Bricklayer wrote:
rich101682 wrote:Think the O's would do it if Kerry Wood was part of a package? As a Cubs fan, I'd be ok with giving up Wood for Tejada.

As would I...

Me too.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:51 am

Wood for Tejada...A-OK if you ask me...
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby statsman88 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:52 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Wood for Tejada...A-OK if you ask me...

Throw in Patterson and we've got ourselves a deal ;-D
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:47 am

tal1286 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:How is this a rumor??? We could post this with every other team name swapped out for "Cubs".

"The Devil Rays are trying to contact the Orioles to ask about Tejada."
"The Rockies are trying to contact the Orioles to ask about Tejada."
"The Nippon Ham Fighters are trying to contact the Orioles to ask about Tejada."

I'm sorry, if they're not discussing names and it looks like it may well be possible, don't call it a "rumor".

I'd call it a rumor. By definition a rumor is something that has uncertain truth. There are issues with should it be posted or should it be said "some guy said such and such and I heard this that and the other" but that's really beyond the point.

But the title as it stands is true, or at least more so than the jokes you put up. Tejada said that he would love playing for the cubs. (WGN/http://www.mlbtraderumors.com)

I never said that he wasn't interested in the Cubs. It's just that with a thread title like "Tejada to Cubs rumor" (and it's since been changed), it makes it sound like there's something going on there. And although Tejada may be interested in the Cubs, there's been nothing else to report. And if Miggy wants out, I bet all 29 other MLB teams are interested. You're talking the best hitting SS in baseball, for a bargain compared to a lot of other guys, and you don't think there is a whole slew of interested teams? Why do the Cubs deserve special attention? I haven't heard anything about a no-trade in Tejada's contract, so conceivably he could be dealt anywhere, whether he's "interested" or not...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby tal1286 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:52 am

oh, the title was more explicit in saying tejada was coming to the cubs than I could possibly have imagined. yeah...I was wrong.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:42 am

if this were to happen, it would be for some primo young talent. Given how the Yanks, BoSox, and Jays are shaping up. The O's would be fools to try and compete in 2006 or 2007, maybe even 2008. If they move Miggy to the Cubs, i would expect 2 of the following to come back:

C-Patt
Hill
Cedeno
Pie
Brownlie
Guzman
E-Patt
Johnson
Harvey
and a few others I'm not remembering.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby eamuscatuli » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:54 pm

This may sound crazy, but I don't want the Cubs to get Tejada. I think it would take too much in prospects to acquire him, and what the Cubs really need is a Left-handed slugger to play Right Field...
eamuscatuli
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WittyC » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:24 pm

I would wager that if Tejada were to be traded, the Cubs would be the best fit. They should be contenders (at least far moreso than the O's), they have a gaping hole at SS, and they have some top-tier prospects in their system. I don't think Boston can compete prospect-wise unless they dealt Marte, which probably won't happen.

If this deal went down, I think the Cubs would have to send Ronny Cedeno and either Rich Hill or Felix Pie back. Hill and Pie are the only prospects the Cubs have who are "untouchable," but it's funny how that word loses its meaning when Miggy Tejada's name comes up.

Oh, and just throw Wood's name out of the equation. He's not worth a dime right now. C-Pat maybe, but the Cubs would be far better off holding on to him and starting him in RF next year.

The O's could turn around and sign Nomar to a one-year deal for a fraction of what Tejada was making and either sign some other big names or hold off and save some money for next year's market.

If (and it's a big IF) Tejada gets traded, I think Chicago is the only place it could happen. That's just IMHO, though, of course.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:34 pm

WittyC wrote:I would wager that if Tejada were to be traded, the Cubs would be the best fit. They should be contenders (at least far moreso than the O's), they have a gaping hole at SS, and they have some top-tier prospects in their system. I don't think Boston can compete prospect-wise unless they dealt Marte, which probably won't happen.

If this deal went down, I think the Cubs would have to send Ronny Cedeno and either Rich Hill or Felix Pie back. Hill and Pie are the only prospects the Cubs have who are "untouchable," but it's funny how that word loses its meaning when Miggy Tejada's name comes up.

Oh, and just throw Wood's name out of the equation. He's not worth a dime right now. C-Pat maybe, but the Cubs would be far better off holding on to him and starting him in RF next year.

The O's could turn around and sign Nomar to a one-year deal for a fraction of what Tejada was making and either sign some other big names or hold off and save some money for next year's market.

If (and it's a big IF) Tejada gets traded, I think Chicago is the only place it could happen. That's just IMHO, though, of course.

Boston wouldnt necessarily have to give up "top prospects" if they are dealing Manny. Manny for Tejada would be the basic parameters of a deal. Boston may have to eat some of Manny's contract as well.

Its sort of a moot point now since Tejada said he didnt demand a trade. But if he changes his mind, Chicago would def. not be the only possibility.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby WittyC » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
WittyC wrote:I would wager that if Tejada were to be traded, the Cubs would be the best fit. They should be contenders (at least far moreso than the O's), they have a gaping hole at SS, and they have some top-tier prospects in their system. I don't think Boston can compete prospect-wise unless they dealt Marte, which probably won't happen.

Boston wouldnt necessarily have to give up "top prospects" if they are dealing Manny. Manny for Tejada would be the basic parameters of a deal. Boston may have to eat some of Manny's contract as well.

Its sort of a moot point now since Tejada said he didnt demand a trade. But if he changes his mind, Chicago would def. not be the only possibility.

Again, the point probably is moot since Tejada supposedly isn't demanding a trade any more.

However, I have to refute that Boston could deal Manny straight up for Miggy. This deal does nothing to help Baltimore, who will most likely be rebuilding again soon. Manny is older than Tejada, plays a less-scarce position and has even discussed retirement already!

As crazy as it sounds, Boston would have to give up more than Manny to do this deal, and I certainly don't think that's in the cards.

Again... this is all spec, but I just can't see Miggy for Manny benefitting either team.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers