Well it took long enough. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Well it took long enough.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:51 pm

Phatferd wrote:I wish I was forced to take Spanish as early as possible, like 1st grade.

Now that I am in College and forced to take it to get my degree, it is so frickin' hard. It is the single most difficult class I have ever taken and I still need to take Spanish 102 after this one!

They started teaching my son Spanish in kindergarten! 8-o He wasn't even fluent in English yet!

The outcry was so bad that they did away with that program in a hurry.

Webster11 wrote:Yup I can definetely see why security was an issue at your school. Hopefully you can see why it might seem strange if not ridiculous to me that two kids speaking spanish would be considered a security threat

Absolutely. ;-D Every school is different, and we all have been through different things, different experiences, etc, which is why it's great to discuss things like this and get other opinions. :-)

I really didn't think the kid would get this much attention in this thread. I thought the bigger picture would be discussed more. IE: Money the schools are wasting by printing up everything twice, finally getting it established federally to get rid of that practice and establish once and for all that we speak English in America (maybe even go so far as to finally establish English as our official language), those that are against it to explain where the lines are as to how many languages everything should be printed in, how many languages teachers should be expected to learn in order to get their degrees, etc, etc, etc. All of that seems to have been skipped over, and all that's really been discussed is one kid who refuses to follow school rules. Ah well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Holy Hand Grenade » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:46 pm

Within 50 years, Spanish will be spoken as much as English in our country. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There has been a massive influx of immigrants from our southern neighbors in the last few decades. And it will continue. And we will have to make accomodations if we like it or not. What happened to this kid is a frightening example of the growing federal governmental powers. Will they soon be cracking down on my church because we have a service in Spanish?
Holy Hand Grenade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Phatferd » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:03 am

Madison wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I wish I was forced to take Spanish as early as possible, like 1st grade.

Now that I am in College and forced to take it to get my degree, it is so frickin' hard. It is the single most difficult class I have ever taken and I still need to take Spanish 102 after this one!

They started teaching my son Spanish in kindergarten! 8-o He wasn't even fluent in English yet!

I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids Spanish that early. They will pick both up by 2nd grade and be far better off than the average kid. Kids that young can absorb so much and if the foundation is built then, we would be able to master the language by High School.

Knowing mulitple languages is only a good thing.

My cousin learned Spanish as a toddler by having a daycare lady who spoke Spanish. He knows English and Spanish (never took a class) and he is 8 now. I wish I was that lucky.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:33 am

Phatferd wrote:
Madison wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids Spanish that early. They will pick both up by 2nd grade and be far better off than the average kid. Kids that young can absorb so much and if the foundation is built then, we would be able to master the language by High School.

Knowing mulitple languages is only a good thing.

My cousin learned Spanish as a toddler by having a daycare lady who spoke Spanish. He knows English and Spanish (never took a class) and he is 8 now. I wish I was that lucky.

To me it's completely insane to teach a child a foreign language that he might never use, when he can't even fluently speak the language of the country he lives in. Seems the majority of the parents in the area felt the same way as the program didn't last the school year.

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:And we will have to make accomodations if we like it or not.

No, we just find a better way to control the border and establish English as the official language of America. Problem solved right there, even if the border issue never gets figured out.

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:What happened to this kid is a frightening example of the growing federal governmental powers.

[INSERT SARCASM]Yup, suspending a repeated troublemaker from an alternative school (A school specifically for troublemakers who cannot behave in normal schools) for repeatedly breaking the school rules is something we really should get changed. Don't teachers and schools realize they have no grounds to have any rules at all, and no way to enforce them? We got rid of spanking, now it's time to get rid of suspensions! Kids will grow up just fine with no rules and no punishments.[END SARCASM]
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:40 am

Why not teach him both? I see no harm. He will pick both up! A child is born without a language. He will pick the one his parents and surroundings speak (English), but he will also pick up another language if he is taught early enough.

He would be soooo much better off knowing multiple languages.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:44 am

Phatferd wrote:Why not teach him both? I see no harm. He will pick both up! A child is born without a language. He will pick the one his parents and surroundings speak (English), but he will also pick up another language if he is taught early enough.

Once a child has mastered the language of the country in which he/she lives, I have no problems at all if that child wishes to learn another language. I do agree it can be beneficial, but at the same time, how many grown adults in America can't write English correctly?

There
Their
They're

Is a fantastic example of what I mean. Broken English and broken foreign language benefits no one, and only makes them look uneducated. If and when a child or person masters a language, then I see no problem with another one being taught. Some people have a hard enough time learning just one though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Phatferd » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:55 am

Madison wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Why not teach him both? I see no harm. He will pick both up! A child is born without a language. He will pick the one his parents and surroundings speak (English), but he will also pick up another language if he is taught early enough.

Once a child has mastered the language of the country in which he/she lives, I have no problems at all if that child wishes to learn another language. I do agree it can be beneficial, but at the same time, how many grown adults in America can't write English correctly?

There
Their
They're

Is a fantastic example of what I mean. Broken English and broken foreign language benefits no one, and only makes them look uneducated. If and when a child or person masters a language, then I see no problem with another one being taught. Some people have a hard enough time learning just one though.

You're (like that ;-D ) assuming that the kids at your ( ;-D ) child's school won't master English. Even without teaching Spanish there will be a portion that never master English. I'd rather have a person know how to speak 2 languages imperfectly than a single language imperfectly.

Just my opinion.

I also think there are two different things we are discussing. Speaking and writing are two totally different things.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 am

Phatferd wrote:You're (like that ;-D ) assuming that the kids at your ( ;-D ) child's school won't master English. Even without teaching Spanish there will be a portion that never master English. I'd rather have a person know how to speak 2 languages imperfectly than a single language imperfectly.

Just my opinion.

I also think there are two different things we are discussing. Speaking and writing are two totally different things.

:-D Nice one! ;-D

Actually, I don't think it's wrong to assume that no child at the age of 5, has mastered the English language. I think it's a pretty safe opinion that they haven't at that age.

Agree that speaking and writing are two different things, but both are important.

Myself, I'd rather have everyone completely master one language before moving to another. If teachers and schools would quit messing around with foreign languages, they just might find the time to make sure that the students can actually speak and write just the one language correctly. Once that's done, teach every language, just make sure it's one language at a time. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Holy Hand Grenade » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:05 pm

Madison wrote:
Phatferd wrote:You're (like that ;-D ) assuming that the kids at your ( ;-D ) child's school won't master English. Even without teaching Spanish there will be a portion that never master English. I'd rather have a person know how to speak 2 languages imperfectly than a single language imperfectly.

Just my opinion.

:-D Nice one! ;-D

Actually, I don't think it's wrong to assume that no child at the age of 5, has mastered the English language. I think it's a pretty safe opinion that they haven't at that age.

Agree that speaking and writing are two different things, but both are important.

Myself, I'd rather have everyone completely master one language before moving to another. If teachers and schools would quit messing around with foreign languages, they just might find the time to make sure that the students can actually speak and write just the one language correctly. Once that's done, teach every language, just make sure it's one language at a time. ;-D

But there is a lot of common ground between Spanish and English (and French and Italian and Latin and German and etc). I could understand your point if we were talking about an Eastern Language wherein the sources are not the same. However, learned does not happen in an isolated sphere. Learning Spanish does not preclude learning English; actually, it enhances understanding of English.
Holy Hand Grenade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 am

wrveres wrote:good comedy is all about timing :-]

and that was poor timing .. :-o

aah come on . that was hilarious
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer