Nomah to Toronto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomah to Toronto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm

"cripples them"...yeah right.

The Jays payroll for 2006 is $75 M which is below the league average and less than they spent in 2001 and 2002.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:52 pm

quietstorm wrote:They paid Ryan for a single year of amazing performance -- we don't know how he'll perform in the future, and he was just paid for five years of top-notch performance. You don't pay that for a closer, sorry.

sorry sir, but that's not true. ryan has been pretty amazing for 2 years and a half, not only one great year. look it up. ;-)

if you are saying that we don't know how he will perform next year cuz it's impossible to know the future, then you are right and all major league teams are dumb to offer any contract to any baseball player, but because i think you meant that ryan doesn't have the track record to be given a multi-year contract, then i'll have to disagree with you. 2 years and a half of outstanding relief pitching from a guy who's 29 year old is a pretty good indication that he can pitch very well for the next 2 or 3 years. he has had no major injuries. i really dunno why some people are so worried about this guy. he'll be fine.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:54 pm

now...nomah to toronto...where's wr...oh here he is...

Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:55 pm

When Ryan was seting up for the O's Mel S(Yankee Pitching coach) breathed a sigh of relief now that he was out of the game.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:56 pm

Ryan has been a machine and he should be able to post some really nice stats with the Jays.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:56 pm

quietstorm wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
quietstorm wrote:Doesn't surprise me. Yet another dumb deal for the Jays. They overpaid Ryan, they overpaid Burnett, and Nomar will be overpaid by whomever he signs with.

I'm really not understanding this, why were those "dumb" deals? Atleast give some kind of reason as to why that is..

First of all, they improved themselves greatly in both the rotation and the bullpen. They also got the #1 FA starter, and the #2 FA closer. In addition, they got them for market value (you do understand what that is right?). I'm not exactly sure what the problem is...

It's not like the Jays really had a choice either. They either stay with the 50 million dollar payroll, and lose consistantly like they have the past 12 years, or they go for it, and sign the best players available. What's the better option? What makes them the better team? It should be fairly obvious to anybody.

As for Nomar, well if this is true (and it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to done yet), he will greatly help this team if he stays healthy. I mean this is a player who was MVP-caliber only a few years ago. I'd certainly take the low risk-high reward deal (which looks to be about a 2 year deal for 8-12 million). If he comes to Toronto, he will greatly help this team win, and also put more fans in the seats.
As I just said on another thread:

They paid Ryan for a single year of amazing performance -- we don't know how he'll perform in the future, and he was just paid for five years of top-notch performance. You don't pay that for a closer, sorry.

And Burnett? You've got to be kidding me. He's got a 4.26 ERA outside of Miami and a K/BB ratio under 2 at away games. He's had one full year and only three years in which he's qualified for the ERA title. Even with his full stats, he's a number two starter who's injured a lot. With his away stats only, he's a number three or four starter who's being paid over 10 million a year.

I don't care if it makes them better. It severely cripples them in the future. Even if it is the going rate this offseason, that just means you work the trade market and wait until next year.

I already commented on those above comments in the other thread, but as for the comment that these moves cripple the team, are you serious?

Do you know anything about the Toronto Blue Jays organization other than the fact that they have signed two of the top FA's this year? Do you just naturally assume the Jays have an extremely high payroll because of these moves? They've been cheap for 5 years, it's about time they got back into the chase for the AL East. The Jays certainly have the money to spend, they aren't some small market team, it's just a matter of whether Ted Rogers wants to spend it or not.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:00 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:"cripples them"...yeah right.

The Jays payroll for 2006 is $75 M which is below the league average and less than they spent in 2001 and 2002.

Surely that's not true? I can't believe there's 13 teams spending more than that.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:02 pm

BritSox wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:"cripples them"...yeah right.

Surely that's not true? I can't believe there's 13 teams spending more than that.

Paul Godfrey said it in a news conference this week.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby nsulham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:03 pm

A part of me really wishes the bridges weren't so badly burned between Nomar and the Sox.

It'd make for a great story :-/
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers