Nomah to Toronto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomah to Toronto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nomah to Toronto?

Postby Lime » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Sorry for not having a tangible internet source at the moment, but it was reported on the FAN590 (Toronto) that there likely will be a deal completed tonight between the Jays and Garciaparra.

Stay tuned...
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:00 pm

I had also read and heard this today, but it wasn't from any kind of credible source. We will see how true this rumour really is..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:05 pm

I've heard it for awhile, in fact J.P was just on Rome and said he's talking to Nomar right now. I like this move a lot for Toronto. I'm not sold on Russ Adams @ SS so having Nomar there can't hurt. But Toronto will have logjam at 3B/1B/DH Hill, Shea, Koskie, Hinske, Overbay so they'll have to make a trade. I like the idea of Nomar coming back and being able to stick it to the AL East again. Good Luck Nomar, a real nice guy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:08 pm

I'd love Nomar coming to Toronto. The Jays would probably trade one of the corner infielders and Nomar would be a great guy for Adams to look up to for fielding etc. Hopefully they get this done. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Oh well, get ready for him to be on the DL soon enough. That groin won't hold up north of the border either.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby quietstorm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Doesn't surprise me. Yet another dumb deal for the Jays. They overpaid Ryan, they overpaid Burnett, and Nomar will be overpaid by whomever he signs with.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:28 pm

quietstorm wrote:Doesn't surprise me. Yet another dumb deal for the Jays. They overpaid Ryan, they overpaid Burnett, and Nomar will be overpaid by whomever he signs with.

I'm really not understanding this, why were those "dumb" deals? Atleast give some kind of reason as to why that is..

First of all, they improved themselves greatly in both the rotation and the bullpen. They also got the #1 FA starter, and the #2 FA closer. In addition, they got them for market value (you do understand what that is right?). I'm not exactly sure what the problem is...

It's not like the Jays really had a choice either. They either stay with the 50 million dollar payroll, and lose consistantly like they have the past 12 years, or they go for it, and sign the best players available. What's the better option? What makes them the better team? It should be fairly obvious to anybody.

As for Nomar, well if this is true (and it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to done yet), he will greatly help this team if he stays healthy. I mean this is a player who was MVP-caliber only a few years ago. I'd certainly take the low risk-high reward deal (which looks to be about a 2 year deal for 8-12 million). If he comes to Toronto, he will greatly help this team win, and also put more fans in the seats.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:31 pm

Nomar should play for the Rocks for 1M. Get his stats paded then go back in the pool next year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Yoda wrote:Nomar should play for the Rocks for 1M. Get his stats paded then go back in the pool next year.
If he reads the cafe at all, he should take your advice. ;-7 ;-7 ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby quietstorm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 pm

mweir145 wrote:
quietstorm wrote:Doesn't surprise me. Yet another dumb deal for the Jays. They overpaid Ryan, they overpaid Burnett, and Nomar will be overpaid by whomever he signs with.

I'm really not understanding this, why were those "dumb" deals? Atleast give some kind of reason as to why that is..

First of all, they improved themselves greatly in both the rotation and the bullpen. They also got the #1 FA starter, and the #2 FA closer. In addition, they got them for market value (you do understand what that is right?). I'm not exactly sure what the problem is...

It's not like the Jays really had a choice either. They either stay with the 50 million dollar payroll, and lose consistantly like they have the past 12 years, or they go for it, and sign the best players available. What's the better option? What makes them the better team? It should be fairly obvious to anybody.

As for Nomar, well if this is true (and it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to done yet), he will greatly help this team if he stays healthy. I mean this is a player who was MVP-caliber only a few years ago. I'd certainly take the low risk-high reward deal (which looks to be about a 2 year deal for 8-12 million). If he comes to Toronto, he will greatly help this team win, and also put more fans in the seats.
As I just said on another thread:

They paid Ryan for a single year of amazing performance -- we don't know how he'll perform in the future, and he was just paid for five years of top-notch performance. You don't pay that for a closer, sorry.

And Burnett? You've got to be kidding me. He's got a 4.26 ERA outside of Miami and a K/BB ratio under 2 at away games. He's had one full year and only three years in which he's qualified for the ERA title. Even with his full stats, he's a number two starter who's injured a lot. With his away stats only, he's a number three or four starter who's being paid over 10 million a year.

I don't care if it makes them better. It severely cripples them in the future. Even if it is the going rate this offseason, that just means you work the trade market and wait until next year.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers