Renteria in ATL projections - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Renteria in ATL projections

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby quietstorm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:36 pm

I know I'm probably putting too much weight on it, but look at Marte's Winter League stats. They were pretty bad last year, too. That worries me. I don't think he's going to pan out like people expect.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 pm

Winter League stats? How about his minor league stats, where all he's done is produce? The guy was among the league leaders in isoOBP in AAA this year, and had great numbers for a 21 year old in AAA. If he plays in AAA again with Boston (first time he'll ever be repeating a level), watch him dominate. He's going to be a stud for years to come, if you'd ever seen him play, you'd know what I'm talking about.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:53 pm

quietstorm wrote:I know I'm probably putting too much weight on it, but look at Marte's Winter League stats. They were pretty bad last year, too. That worries me. I don't think he's going to pan out like people expect.

Quietstorm I'm not putting you on the spot or anything but do you have any valid reasons or stats to support your opinion on Marte? Or is it strictly based on your gut feeling? Everything I see in his numbers and I've read on him screams All Star type player. His Richmand numbers as a 21 year old pretty much validates this.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Holy Hand Grenade » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:59 pm

brandnew wrote:Winter League stats? How about his minor league stats, where all he's done is produce? The guy was among the league leaders in isoOBP in AAA this year, and had great numbers for a 21 year old in AAA. If he plays in AAA again with Boston (first time he'll ever be repeating a level), watch him dominate. He's going to be a stud for years to come, if you'd ever seen him play, you'd know what I'm talking about.

I've seen him play, and wasn't as impressed as I was expecting. He looked... lazy. Like he didn't want to run out fly balls, etc.

That's my only knock on him. In my opinion (based on the one single game I've seen him play 2 years ago), he looks like he has a bad work ethic.
Holy Hand Grenade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 pm

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:
brandnew wrote:Winter League stats? How about his minor league stats, where all he's done is produce? The guy was among the league leaders in isoOBP in AAA this year, and had great numbers for a 21 year old in AAA. If he plays in AAA again with Boston (first time he'll ever be repeating a level), watch him dominate. He's going to be a stud for years to come, if you'd ever seen him play, you'd know what I'm talking about.

I've seen him play, and wasn't as impressed as I was expecting. He looked... lazy. Like he didn't want to run out fly balls, etc.

That's my only knock on him. In my opinion (based on the one single game I've seen him play 2 years ago), he looks like he has a bad work ethic.

The scouting reports have commented on his positive attitude and good work ethic.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:

So when you saw him play two years ago, he was only 19? And you can base your opinion about a player and his work ethic from watching 1 game? Wow that is... amazing. :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Holy Hand Grenade » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
Holy Hand Grenade wrote:

So when you saw him play two years ago, he was only 19? And you can base your opinion about a player and his work ethic from watching 1 game? Wow that is... amazing. :-?

I thought it was obvious I was being sardonic. [condescension]Next time I'll be sure to use those "sardonic" tags so that you can get it.[/condescension]
Holy Hand Grenade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:47 pm

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Holy Hand Grenade wrote:

I thought it was obvious I was being sardonic. [condescension]Next time I'll be sure to use those "sardonic" tags so that you can get it.[/condescension]

ok whatever funny guy... :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quietstorm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
quietstorm wrote:I know I'm probably putting too much weight on it, but look at Marte's Winter League stats. They were pretty bad last year, too. That worries me. I don't think he's going to pan out like people expect.

Quietstorm I'm not putting you on the spot or anything but do you have any valid reasons or stats to support your opinion on Marte? Or is it strictly based on your gut feeling? Everything I see in his numbers and I've read on him screams All Star type player. His Richmand numbers as a 21 year old pretty much validates this.
As I said, the Winter League stats bother me:

.247/.360/.381

Yeah, so it's a limited sample size, but these stats were similar last year, too. And he didn't do so well in his short trip the majors last year.

I'm also wondering how people can say "all he's done is produce [in the minors]." I could be wrong, but consecutive OBPs of .339, .372, and .364 (2002-2004) aren't terribly impressive.

Look, I'm not saying he won't be a good player. I'm saying I have my doubts that he's going to be the next Scott Rolen.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 pm

quietstorm wrote:
Yoda wrote:

As I said, the Winter League stats bother me:

.247/.360/.381

Yeah, so it's a limited sample size, but these stats were similar last year, too. And he didn't do so well in his short trip the majors last year.

I'm also wondering how people can say "all he's done is produce [in the minors]." I could be wrong, but consecutive OBPs of .339, .372, and .364 (2002-2004) aren't terribly impressive.

Look, I'm not saying he won't be a good player. I'm saying I have my doubts that he's going to be the next Scott Rolen.

He's was only 21. His numbers may not be that impressive but that is mostly due to the fact that everywhere he's played, people were generally 3 or 4 years older than him.

Winter League stats mean squat. He had a prolific year and he rocketed through the minors. Most 21 year olds are in high A or AA. This kid made it all the way to MLB. His fugure is bright.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers