Braves get Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves get Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:44 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:very slim chance of Marte becoming a Glaus type of hitter, Marte may reach Glaus's power numbers but his BA and other aspects will be much better then Glaus.

Well I definitely disagree here. He strikes out far too much to be anything better than a .275 hitter. Where is that breakout that was projected in 2004 then in 2005? It never came. It is time to rewrite those initial scouting reports on Marte. Even BA and other respected scouting reports are revisiting their opinions on Marte so it's not like I am just knocking him totally due to bias.

well wouldn't a 275 hitter be much better then the 240 glaus hitter you are comparing him to????? and why so much hostilities??? no where have I stated that I would not prefer Wright, I have just stated that Marte will be very valuable as well--in fact valuable enough to be a top option at 3b in all fantasy leagues in a very few years...

Yes a .275 hitter would be better than Glaus. I just used him as example. I think Marte will be better than but in the same mold as Glaus. I am not sure how this turned into an argument, where it's going or why I seem hostile. It's the middle of the work day though and I really need a beer. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:49 pm

last yr (his first at aaa) at age 21 saw him hit 20 HRs in 389 ABs w/74 RBIs and that was w/a painful foot injury for much of the summer..in a sense u r right, i am reading last year's BA article on marte where they compare him to apujols and mcabrera..2004 BA top 100 prospects had amarte at #11 and dwright at #21
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:54 pm

I think BA rankings are pretty moot at this point. Marte looked pretty overmatch in his brief stint in MLB and clearly he needs more conditioning before playing everyday.

Wright has established himself as one of the league's brightest stars. Until I see Marte make a similar successful adjustment to MLB pitching, I can't put him anywhere near Wright.

My personal opinion is that Marte will be a very good power hitting 3B for years to come. But I think Wright will be more prolific from what we know right now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wake » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:28 pm

There are a few things to consider about why the Braves would make this trade. First, Marte was going to be traded this offseason no matter what, even if this trade fell through. The Braves had made no attempt to train Marte at any other position and, after Chipper reworked his contract, he had no chance of becoming their 3rd baseman. Second, Betemit isn't nearly a guarantee to perform as well as Renteria next year. He hit well last year in 250 AB but before that he looked like he was a bust. During spring training it was thought he wouldn't even make the team as a utility man over Orr and that the Braves would get rid of him. He spent his last 3 years in AAA and averaged about a .260 BA. I'm not saying he wouldn't of performed well as the starting shortstop next year but it's a high risk to take and Schuerholtz might be doing the right thing by trading him while his stock is high.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:34 pm

FWIW, Marte was also really "unlucky" in his ML stink. His BABIP was under .200 or something.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers