Braves get Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves get Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GoatCurse03 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:13 pm

El Gaupo wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Marte was compared to Wright before Wright hit AAA. Marte doesn't have Wright-potential IMHO. The edge he has over Wright is power but that's about it.

Marte and Wright are really 2 different players with lots of potential. Marte is your standard big power hitting 3rd baseman that can play good defense, where as Wright is your do it all(good average, good power, and good speed) 3rd baseman that can play excellent defense. In the future hard to say who is the best as Wright will probably have the better fantasy numbers wise most years due to the steals but Marte with the extra power will be a wanted man on all teams as well. I see lineup protection for Marte being as equal to Wright even if Marte goes to Tampa or stays in Boston. I do see Wright as the #1 option of the 2 players, but I will say that Marte is a nice #1B option though.

Great assesment.

Raiders_ From what I've been reading Boston will more than likely keep Marte ;-D If this is the case I think the Devil Rays missed out on a good opportunity, maybe a little to greedy imo.

This all bodes well for BJ having a chance to play next year.

Tampa Bay never met a deal it could make that was in its best interest without overplaying their hand. They think everyone wants to trade to them a Kazmir for their V. Zambrano, and people are going to stop calling if that's their approach.
GoatCurse03
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:16 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Marte and Wright probably don't deserve a comparison but I guess they will forever be intertwined because they were the Braves and Mets best prospects and they played the same position. I realize I am extremely biased but (forget fantasy) as to who is better long term it is Wright no contest unless something changes dramatically. Marte will be a Glaus type hitter. Valuable no doubt but not the type of hitter in Wright's class.

yea just a little bias there :-D :-D

very slim chance of Marte becoming a Glaus type of hitter, Marte may reach Glaus's power numbers but his BA and other aspects will be much better then Glaus. Again Wright and Marte will be a comparative #1 and #1A, with me giving Wright the edge due to speed and average and Marte having the power numbers edge.

If Marte stays in Boston I would give him the edge over Wright due to park factors. but only slightly
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:17 pm

El Gaupo wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Marte and Wright probably don't deserve a comparison but I guess they will forever be intertwined because they were the Braves and Mets best prospects and they played the same position. I realize I am extremely biased but (forget fantasy) as to who is better long term it is Wright no contest unless something changes dramatically. Marte will be a Glaus type hitter. Valuable no doubt but not the type of hitter in Wright's class.

very slim chance of Marte becoming a Glaus type of hitter, Marte may reach Glaus's power numbers but his BA and other aspects will be much better then Glaus. Again Wright and Marte will be a comparative #1 and #1A, with me giving Wright the edge due to speed and average and Marte having the power numbers edge.

If Marte stays in Boston I would give him the edge over Wright due to park factors. but only slightly

Marte over Wright? Are you talking about this year or for his career?
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:20 pm

Sorry Devil Ray Fans, your team blew it. The Red Sox aren't giving 11 million to get Lugo (why not just keep Renteria?) Arroyo is better than baez. And there is no where for huff to play. Plus shoppach is now the backup catcher. Unless the d-rays eat some of Huff and Lugos contracts the Red Sox aren't doing the proposed Trade. Bill Lajoe seems like he is done with dealing with the D-Rays (he is old school and doesn't seem like dealing with this "young kid," who is trying to play hardball).
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:21 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:very slim chance of Marte becoming a Glaus type of hitter, Marte may reach Glaus's power numbers but his BA and other aspects will be much better then Glaus.

Well I definitely disagree here. He strikes out far too much to be anything better than a .275 hitter. Where is that breakout that was projected in 2004 then in 2005? It never came. It is time to rewrite those initial scouting reports on Marte. Even BA and other respected scouting reports are revisiting their opinions on Marte so it's not like I am just knocking him totally due to bias.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Marte over Wright? Are you talking about this year or for his career?

For their career. One point for Wright is that he has already produced in the majors and Marte hasn't.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:29 pm

I'm not sure you can really compare Marte and Wright at this point as Amazins and Raiders pointed out. Wright already established that he belongs in MLB and figures to have a prolific career.

Marte still is a question mark (albeit not a big one). I think the chances of him having a good career is greater than not. But he hasn't proved that he can do it yet.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:37 pm

Someone probably already said this but I think it helps Marte that he's at Fenway ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Amazinz wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:very slim chance of Marte becoming a Glaus type of hitter, Marte may reach Glaus's power numbers but his BA and other aspects will be much better then Glaus.

Well I definitely disagree here. He strikes out far too much to be anything better than a .275 hitter. Where is that breakout that was projected in 2004 then in 2005? It never came. It is time to rewrite those initial scouting reports on Marte. Even BA and other respected scouting reports are revisiting their opinions on Marte so it's not like I am just knocking him totally due to bias.

Wright is a major leaguer; Marte is still a minor leaguer so it isn't fair (to either) to try and compare them. That said Marte had 64 walks to his 83 k's so he figures to be one of those power hitters that hits around 280-290 with lots of home runs, and many walks and many strikeouts. He could devolp into a very good cleanup hitter or at least a number five hitter.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:04 pm

Morrison8312 wrote:Someone probably already said this but I think it helps Marte that he's at Fenway ;-D
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D Now I'm not pissed the Beckett deal cause we got someone better than Hanley in return for Renteria....now we gotta keep Marte and NOT trade him for Lugo!!
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers